Coronavirus General Discussion

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by Tortoise »

Cortopassi wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:38 am 222 positive at ND. About a 20% positivity rate.

Does not bode well for any other schools in the nation.
According to schools like Notre Dame, what is the goal or threshold in terms of positivity rate? I.e., before they invited students back to campus, did they state a policy such as "If the positivity rate exceeds X%, we will switch to online classes, and if it goes on to exceed Y%, we will send all students back home"? If the schools aren't formulating such plans in advance, what business do they have jerking students and their parents around based on positivity rates?

Also, which students are they testing? A random sample, or a self-selected group of students who want to be tested because they have symptoms or think they may have been exposed? Those are two very different groups that will likely give very different positivity rates.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

WiseOne wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:35 am Who here plans to get the vaccine when it comes out?
No idea, really. I'll have to weigh all the variables.
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong »

Tortoise wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:51 am
Cortopassi wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:38 am 222 positive at ND. About a 20% positivity rate.

Does not bode well for any other schools in the nation.
According to schools like Notre Dame, what is the goal or threshold in terms of positivity rate? I.e., before they invited students back to campus, did they state a policy such as "If the positivity rate exceeds X%, we will switch to online classes, and if it goes on to exceed Y%, we will send all students back home"? If the schools aren't formulating such plans in advance, what business do they have jerking students and their parents around based on positivity rates?

Also, which students are they testing? A random sample, or a self-selected group of students who want to be tested because they have symptoms or think they may have been exposed? Those are two very different groups that will likely give very different positivity rates.
None of the schools around here have any hard cutoff to do online only or not because they don't want to be tied down. My district started off as this:

Plano ISD's plans for the 2020-21 school year include the option to choose either a face-to-face or a remote learning environment

Then after 75% of parents chose to return to class they came out with this:

With the rapidly changing situation with COVID-19, Plano ISD has made the decision to start the 2020-21 school year in a completely virtual environment for all students. Please know that this decision was not made lightly, but out of concern for the safety and health of all students and staff.

I suspect they used something very generic like "rapidly changing situation" instead of rising cases or increased deaths to avoid being hamstrung in future closures when those numbers are decreasing.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

jalanlong wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:06 pm None of the schools around here have any hard cutoff to do online only or not because they don't want to be tied down. My district started off as this:

Plano ISD's plans for the 2020-21 school year include the option to choose either a face-to-face or a remote learning environment

With the rapidly changing situation with COVID-19, Plano ISD has made the decision to start the 2020-21 school year in a completely virtual environment for all students. Please know that this decision was not made lightly, but out of concern for the safety and health of all students and staff.

I suspect they used something very generic like "rapidly changing situation" instead of rising cases or increased deaths to avoid being hamstrung in future closures when those numbers are decreasing.
But they keep telling us their decisions are based on "science, not politics." So where's the science (numbers)?
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

dualstow wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:02 pm
WiseOne wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:35 am Who here plans to get the vaccine when it comes out?
Ditto.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

Tortoise wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:19 pm
jalanlong wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:06 pm None of the schools around here have any hard cutoff to do online only or not because they don't want to be tied down. My district started off as this:

But they keep telling us their decisions are based on "science, not politics." So where's the science (numbers)?
The "science" is "political science".
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Tortoise wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:17 am
Most of us probably won’t have a choice.

The government may not officially mandate it, but “society” will. Many schools and workplaces probably won’t allow people to return in person until they show proof of vaccination.

If I really have a choice, I’ll probably opt out.
Dr. Fauci addressed this when he was on C-Span this morning.

Initially, when the vaccine comes out there are going to be shortages of it. So, it will first go to health care workers who WILL be mandated to take the vaccine and those most vulnerable (elderly, those with underlying conditions) once they catch the virus.

In response to a question from a student if the vaccine should be mandated, he gave a firm NO. One of the reasons he gave was that it'd be illegal. And, he did not believe it to be necessary.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

MangoMan wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:22 am
WiseOne wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:35 am Here's another prediction for you guys: by the time the vaccine comes along, the virus will be over and done in most places - certainly in the U.S. And it will not make a noticeable dent in the progression of the virus as a result. Yet it will be hailed as the savior of us all, because now it will be "safe". I guess that the resulting economic recovery will be worth the billions of dollars that will be spent on it. Plus it will be genuinely useful for protecting high risk individuals and allowing nursing homes to reopen to visitors.

Who here plans to get the vaccine when it comes out? I'm pretty sure I will have no choice in the matter and I imagine MangoMan would have to as well. Also I'd want my mom (age 85) to get the vaccine. Her descent into Alzheimer's appears to have stabilized at least for now, she has no other medical issues, and she's still enjoying life, so....good calculus there.
Not me. Not unless I am forced. I get a flu shot every year, HepB and got the Shingrix vaccine this year. But no way will I be near the front of the line on this one.
You WILL be forced (most likely). Dr. Fauci gave as an example that during flu season at his hospital medical personnel were not allowed to see patients if the medical personnel had not had the flu shot.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

dualstow wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:02 pm
Dr. Fauci did give a date of late 2021 when it'd be readily available to all.

Vinny
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

vnatale wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:36 pm
WiseOne wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:35 am Here's another prediction for you guys: by the time the vaccine comes along, the virus will be over and done in most places - certainly in the U.S. And it will not make a noticeable dent in the progression of the virus as a result. Yet it will be hailed as the savior of us all, because now it will be "safe". I guess that the resulting economic recovery will be worth the billions of dollars that will be spent on it. Plus it will be genuinely useful for protecting high risk individuals and allowing nursing homes to reopen to visitors.

Who here plans to get the vaccine when it comes out? I'm pretty sure I will have no choice in the matter and I imagine MangoMan would have to as well. Also I'd want my mom (age 85) to get the vaccine. Her descent into Alzheimer's appears to have stabilized at least for now, she has no other medical issues, and she's still enjoying life, so....good calculus there.
Not me. Not unless I am forced. I get a flu shot every year, HepB and got the Shingrix vaccine this year. But no way will I be near the front of the line on this one.
You WILL be forced (most likely). Dr. Fauci gave as an example that during flu season at his hospital medical personnel were not allowed to see patients if the medical personnel had not had the flu shot.

Vinny
Wasn't that because of rules the hospital put in place? It wasn't a government order. Pugchief (I presume) runs his own shop and makes the rules.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi »

No threshold levels ever communicated.

As best we could tell, ND was counting on hope a bit too much.

Originally the students were self selecting for tests and did a health screen every morning. Now that's changed to random, assuming they open back up to in person.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

vnatale wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:35 pm In response to a question from a student if the vaccine should be mandated, he gave a firm NO. One of the reasons he gave was that it'd be illegal. And, he did not believe it to be necessary.
Fauci also told the nation several months ago that masks don’t help and that Americans shouldn’t wear them, so I take everything Fauci says with a grain of salt the size of Mt. Everest.

Even if Fauci is right that a vaccine won’t be mandated at the federal level, it might be mandated at the state level just as the lockdowns and mask-wearing have been.
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon »

Indiana University seems to have a pretty robust plan for COVID-19. They are requiring all students living on-campus to be tested within 10 days of arrival, and then again at arrival. Off-campus students are required to be tested on arrival. They will be doing extensive surveillance testing and contact tracing during the semester and are building their own labs to process the tests.

Here are some of the criteria they will use to determine whether classes should go 100% virtual:

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Xan wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:55 pm

Vinny
Wasn't that because of rules the hospital put in place? It wasn't a government order. Pugchief (I presume) runs his own shop and makes the rules.
Correct. That's why I later qualified it with the parenthetical "most likely".

Vinny
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

vnatale wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:25 pm

Vinny

Vinny
So why are you saying Pugchief will be forced? Why would he be "most likely" to be forced?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

flyingpylon wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:18 pm Indiana University seems to have a pretty robust plan for COVID-19. They are requiring all students living on-campus to be tested within 10 days of arrival, and then again at arrival. Off-campus students are required to be tested on arrival. They will be doing extensive surveillance testing and contact tracing during the semester and are building their own labs to process the tests.

Here are some of the criteria they will use to determine whether classes should go 100% virtual:

During the Dr. Fauci interview I believe I heard that for students coming from "hot spots" they will be required (by some colleges) to be tested prior to arriving on campuses.

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Xan wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:27 pm
vnatale wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:25 pm

Vinny

Vinny
So why are you saying Pugchief will be forced? Why would he be "most likely" to be forced?
I was leaning more toward not a government mandating it but some overseeing medical authority mandating it (which as I write this could be governmental or quasi-governmental).

Vinny
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett »

Are any of these kids actually feeling sick or being hospitalized, Corto? Or are these just positive tests?

Here in CT the numbers at UCONN are very low so far. Just talked to a friend whose kid goes there and found this online to corroborate what he had told me:

"So far, four on-campus students have tested positive for COVID-19 through the required check-in testing. Those four positives were identified out of a total of 3,739 tests, for a positivity rate of about 0.1%."
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

barrett wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:33 pm
Are any of these kids actually feeling sick or being hospitalized, Corto? Or are these just positive tests?

Here in CT the numbers at UCONN are very low so far. Just talked to a friend whose kid goes there and found this online to corroborate what he had told me:

"So far, four on-campus students have tested positive for COVID-19 through the required check-in testing. Those four positives were identified out of a total of 3,739 tests, for a positivity rate of about 0.1%."
Isn't that also pretty close (or indeed under?) the FALSE positive rate of the test?
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dieter »

Here schools are currently virtual only.

After the county is off of the state watch list, may go to 50% in person - half the students a day, students go twice a week.

Might be in two weeks (I have a kid in HS). Will be interesting to see what happens.

As for vaccine, well, my job doesn't out me in the front of the line.

I'm fine with that.

Would love to start partner dancing again, where might just need vaccine to be in a hall with 100+ people, exercising face to face...
(Not all that big of course, but none socially distanced....)
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi »

barrett wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:33 pm

As far as I know, no hospitalizations, and no talk of any symptoms other than minor. So there's that.

ND had all kids test before coming on campus, 33 out of 11,000 or so.
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels »

Hal wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:46 pm Mandatory vaccinations in Australia :P

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/healt ... 67f22e41a3
Rethinking their statement.
Australian PM Backtracks on ‘Mandatory’ Coronavirus Vaccine Program.

https://www.breitbart.com/health/2020/0 ... e-program/

Separately, Australia has also signed a deal worth $18m with Becton Dickinson, an American pharmaceutical company, to supply 100 million needles and syringes.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me »

shekels wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:20 am Separately, Australia has also signed a deal worth $18m with Becton Dickinson, an American pharmaceutical company, to supply 100 million needles and syringes.
Damn, BD was one of only two individual stocks I ever bought - on the recommendation of Jim Cramer. I think it was around $25 and now it's $266. Shoulda kept it.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

Tennessee governor passes COVID-19 liability shield law.

This seems like a really good idea. I hope other states follow.
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dieter »

MangoMan wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:10 am
Tortoise wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:58 am Tennessee governor passes COVID-19 liability shield law.

This seems like a really good idea. I hope other states follow.
+1. I think the Feds should be pushing for all 50 states to do something similar.
It's not dangerous and people are overeacting, but if you do get it because of our policies, not our fault.

At least, how I read these things.