Coronavirus General Discussion

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by vnatale » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:04 pm

Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:56 am

vnatale wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:04 pm
Masks Do Not Work. Period.

https://www.afa.net/the-stand/culture/2 ... w.facebook
Or maybe they do:

"Non-contact transmission was found in 66.7% (10/15) of exposed naïve hamsters. Surgical mask partition for challenged index or naïve hamsters significantly reduced transmission to 25% (6/24, P=0.018). Surgical mask partition for challenged index hamsters significantly reduced transmission to only 16.7% (2/12, P=0.019) of exposed naïve hamsters. Unlike the severe COVID-19 manifestations of challenged hamsters, infected naïve hamsters had lower clinical scores, milder histopathological changes, and lower viral nucleocapsid antigen expression in respiratory tract tissues."

https://academic.oup.com/cid/advance-ar ... 44/5848814
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:00 am

vnatale wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:04 pm
One result of the virus on the area in which I live:

Moving to the country: Franklin County sees uptick in homebuyers from cities

https://www.recorder.com/City-folks-mov ... y-35501300

"According to Sandvik, the exodus from cities has led to a competitive housing market. Sandvik and Gross said some clients have put in offers over asking prices, but are still at risk of being beat out by cash buyers from Boston or New York.

“Sometimes, houses are going for $30,000 over the asking price,” Sandvik said.

Fitzgerald said she is getting multiple offers on almost every property. She said the influx of people to the county sees both people looking for a second home or a primary home. Fitzgerald said she has especially noticed an increase of homebuyers interested in houses in a higher-end price range. She also noted that there has been an increased interest in purchasing undeveloped land, and a number of these buyers are from out of the area."

Vinny
"Sandvik said she closed on a house in Shelburne Falls recently, which was sold to a couple from New York City. She said the husband of the couple who purchased the home is a poet, and the wife is also able to work remotely."

Who knew that poetry was so lucrative these days?
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:25 am

The less-egotistical ones could probably do well writing song lyrics if they can't get a government grant.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:41 am

Tortoise wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:54 pm
When I was a kid, all of the field trips at school required parents to sign a permission/waiver form acknowledging that the field trip entailed certain risks and that the parent accepted those risks and allowed their kid to go. I guess those were simpler times, when common sense still existed.

Why not let the more cautious parents simply choose not to send their kids on the field trip, and let the other parents send their kids?
Totally agree.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:15 pm

Only 3 more months until the coronavirus restrictions are all lifted.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:59 pm

Mark Leavy wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:15 pm
Only 3 more months until the coronavirus restrictions are all lifted.
That’s the good news. The bad news is that they’ll be immediately replaced by Nationwide Riots 2: Electric Boogaloo.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:58 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:56 am
vnatale wrote:

Or maybe they do:

"Non-contact transmission was found in 66.7% (10/15) of exposed naïve hamsters. Surgical mask partition for challenged index or naïve hamsters significantly reduced transmission to 25% (6/24, P=0.018). Surgical mask partition for challenged index hamsters significantly reduced transmission to only 16.7% (2/12, P=0.019) of exposed naïve hamsters. Unlike the severe COVID-19 manifestations of challenged hamsters, infected naïve hamsters had lower clinical scores, milder histopathological changes, and lower viral nucleocapsid antigen expression in respiratory tract tissues."

Not quite....

There are several more variables apart from mask material that these studies are ignoring, but that controlled prospective trials will capture. Such as: does the person wear the mask correctly, does the mask fit the person correctly, what happens when the person takes the mask off and stores it before using it again, does the mask continue functioning at the same level day after day after being sweated into, jammed into pockets, dropped on the ground etc. And finally, is a person who is mildly sick more likely to venture out in public with the mask than without it?

Vinny thanks for posting that facebook article with the list of controlled trials - nice! Unfortunately, I don't think it's going to change anyone's mind. Mask wearing has become a polarized issue that is totally separated from science.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:44 pm

WiseOne wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:58 pm
Libertarian666 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:56 am
vnatale wrote:

Or maybe they do:

Not quite....

There are several more variables apart from mask material that these studies are ignoring, but that controlled prospective trials will capture. Such as: does the person wear the mask correctly, does the mask fit the person correctly, what happens when the person takes the mask off and stores it before using it again, does the mask continue functioning at the same level day after day after being sweated into, jammed into pockets, dropped on the ground etc. And finally, is a person who is mildly sick more likely to venture out in public with the mask than without it?

Vinny thanks for posting that facebook article with the list of controlled trials - nice! Unfortunately, I don't think it's going to change anyone's mind. Mask wearing has become a polarized issue that is totally separated from science.
How about if we are separated from other people by partitions made from mask material? According to that study, that should help.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:11 pm

Hmm, what does surrounding each person in mask-like material sound like? Remember the term "cocooning" from the 1980s & 90s?

I guess we could call what's happening now "advanced, government-mandated cocooning". To do it temporarily in response to an acute crisis is one thing, but this is looking like it's going to be the new normal. There's no concrete or achievable endpoint and the vast majority of the population has bought into it without question. I wonder what human life is going to be like? As an introvert/homebody/crazy cat lady nearing retirement age this isn't going to bother me all that much, but what about the generation now in their teens and twenties? Where will be their sense of adventure? When they read books like John Steinbeck's "Travels with Charley", "Into the Wild", or Jack Kerouac, what will they make of them?

Every time I read an article or hear about young people violating the rules, I'm thrilled. Good for them. My niece for example is traveling around Italy right now and having a wonderful time. Good for her too.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:54 pm

WiseOne wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:11 pm
My niece for example is traveling around Italy right now and having a wonderful time. Good for her too.
How did she get in?
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:56 pm

She lives in Canada.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:05 pm

WiseOne wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:11 pm
Hmm, what does surrounding each person in mask-like material sound like? Remember the term "cocooning" from the 1980s & 90s?

I guess we could call what's happening now "advanced, government-mandated cocooning". To do it temporarily in response to an acute crisis is one thing, but this is looking like it's going to be the new normal. There's no concrete or achievable endpoint and the vast majority of the population has bought into it without question. I wonder what human life is going to be like? As an introvert/homebody/crazy cat lady nearing retirement age this isn't going to bother me all that much, but what about the generation now in their teens and twenties? Where will be their sense of adventure? When they read books like John Steinbeck's "Travels with Charley", "Into the Wild", or Jack Kerouac, what will they make of them?

Every time I read an article or hear about young people violating the rules, I'm thrilled. Good for them. My niece for example is traveling around Italy right now and having a wonderful time. Good for her too.
Did what I heard today have validity?

The caller stated that when they were in the company's paint room they have to wear a respirator as masks will not do the job.

And, they have a nurse train them on how to properly wear the respirator.

Some citrus aerosol is sprayed and if the wear can smell it then the respirator is not being properly worn / fitted.

Is this size of this virus similar to the size of what is in the citrus odor?

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:00 pm

In what other context do educated, critically-thinking people debate the details of a proposition whose credibility has been strained to the breaking point? Does it make any sense at all to argue over whether the n of a particular study should have been 500 rather than 450 when the principal investigator was caught falsifying the data? The question was prompted by the news that state employees in Wisconsin will now be required to wear masks while participating in virtual Zoom meetings from their homes.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020 ... -meetings/
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:10 am

Maddy wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:00 pm
In what other context do educated, critically-thinking people debate the details of a proposition whose credibility has been strained to the breaking point? Does it make any sense at all to argue over whether the n of a particular study should have been 500 rather than 450 when the principal investigator was caught falsifying the data? The question was prompted by the news that state employees in Wisconsin will now be required to wear masks while participating in virtual Zoom meetings from their homes.

What "other" context?
I would say there is by definition no context in which critically-thinking people would do that.
And of course "educated" doesn't mean what it used to.
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:10 am

Maddy wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:00 pm

I have seen this already in my son's virtual "schooling." Whenever the teachers or staff record a video to send to students they are always wearing a mask even though they are the only ones in the room and on the video. I am pretty sure they were told to do so to make the mask wearing look acceptable to the kids for whenever they come back.
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:00 pm

The crap I really hate about this is all of the awkward situations it puts you into. When I had to deliver a package to a business a few weeks ago and I went to hand it to the person who opened the door, once I got about 4 feet from her she yelled out "DON'T COME ANY CLOSER!!"

Just now I had a pizza delivery. When I open the door he sets the pizza on the ground and then looks at me and sheepishly asks "Umm..did you want me to hand it to you or just put it down." IDK really. If I tell you just to lay it down am I suggesting that you are a dirty Corona human? Although you did make my food so if I am going to consume the food you prepared does it really matter if I touch the box you touched?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:23 pm

jalanlong wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:00 pm
The crap I really hate about this is all of the awkward situations it puts you into. When I had to deliver a package to a business a few weeks ago and I went to hand it to the person who opened the door, once I got about 4 feet from her she yelled out "DON'T COME ANY CLOSER!!"

Just now I had a pizza delivery. When I open the door he sets the pizza on the ground and then looks at me and sheepishly asks "Umm..did you want me to hand it to you or just put it down." IDK really. If I tell you just to lay it down am I suggesting that you are a dirty Corona human? Although you did make my food so if I am going to consume the food you prepared does it really matter if I touch the box you touched?
Just out of curiosity, were you wearing a mask in either scenario? You didn't mention.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:32 pm

jalanlong wrote:

In the rare times friends or other people have been on my property - really only once or twice a month - I maintain my distance from them and I do not touch the same things that they do. I just point them to the item to pick up.

Vinny
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:16 pm

dualstow wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:23 pm
jalanlong wrote:

Just out of curiosity, were you wearing a mask in either scenario? You didn't mention.
I wasn't. In the first scenario it was sort of before mask mania hit and everything was about social distancing. It is one thing to ask me to politely step back but she screamed at the top of her lungs.

In the second scenario I was coming out of my front door so no mask there either. I don't really care whether he hands me the pizza or not. It's just this whole thing seems to put people into a lot of Curb Your Enthusiasm situations.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:21 pm

STOP THE SPREAD WE MUST ALL DO OUR PART DON YOUR MASK THE SPREAD OF THIS BLACK DEATH PANDEMIC MUST BE STOPPED DO NOT MURDER THE ELDERLY WITH YOUR FETID BREATH DON YOUR MASK
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:28 pm

And the panic continues...

Recent email blast from a prominent NY university noted that comprehensive testing of tens of thousands of staff and students has yielded exactly zero positive results.

And the city reported 330 new cases today. It’s been like that since early May.

So naturally the email also announced the decision that all classes this fall will be virtual. The plague and all, ya know.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:31 pm

jalanlong wrote:
The crap I really hate about this is all of the awkward situations it puts you into.
No kidding. Accompanying my wife in the hospital when she gave birth to our daughter last month was interesting, to say the least.

They tested my wife for Covid-19 immediately upon admission, and because her result was negative she wasn’t required to wear a mask. But for some reason, the hospital’s policy is not to test the father (even though he shares the room with the mother for two days), so I was required to wear a mask anytime doctors, nurses, or staff came into our room — which was dozens of times a day.

So for two days, I had to take my mask on and off dozens of times a day in our own recovery room while I was also trying to cope with a lack of sleep and the excitement and stress of having a new baby. It was a bit much.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:42 pm

WiseOne wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:28 pm
And the panic continues...

Recent email blast from a prominent NY university noted that comprehensive testing of tens of thousands of staff and students has yielded exactly zero positive results.

And the city reported 330 new cases today. It’s been like that since early May.

So naturally the email also announced the decision that all classes this fall will be virtual. The plague and all, ya know.
If universities can do all online classes (and retain their students/tuition, I suppose) I'd think it would generate a massive profit this year. Eliminate or greatly reduce the expense of dining facilities, libraries, dorms, classrooms, and non-football sports.. plus their concomitant janitors, cooks, dishwashers, TAs, etc.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:07 pm

My best friend died just over a week ago after her cancer, previously in remission for two years, returned with a vengeance. I was the closest thing she had to family, and I had her power of attorney. More on that later, because I learned some really important things about planning for incapacity.

Anyway, the whole CoVid thing had my friend literally hunkered down in her home for months, afraid to let anyone in and unwilling to seek medical attention for flat-out organ failure until she quite literally collapsed on the floor and couldn't get up.

My friend was admitted to nursing home/rehab facility direct from the ICU. During that time, no one--not even I--was allowed to visit. When she got very close to death, I was allowed in for two days--but only with full PPE, including mask, face shield, gloves, gown, etc. It was only then that I got a look at what was really going on in the facility, which was not at all okay. Anyway, I got her transferred out and into a hospice house, where things were more or less normalized, and I'm thankful for that. But the whole experience was extremely disconcerting--first, not being able to monitor what was going on in the nursing home, and second, not being able to have the kinds of interactions that people need to be able to have when someone they're close to is dying.

I'm incredibly angry over the whole situation. If and when we find out that this situation was in any part contrived, it's going to take four-point restraints to keep me from clawing the perpetrators' eyes out.