Executive Member

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:18 am

Hal wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:21 am
We made it into the Russian News!

https://www.rt.com/op-ed/497095-melbour ... -lockdown/
Savage.
There is literally no reason for you to leave your home and if you were to leave your home and not be found there, you will have a very difficult time convincing Victoria police that you have a lawful reason.
You know, to look at this in a positive light, this whole thing has exposed every Secret Stalin on the planet. It's sad, but illuminating. I'm not going to hold it against anyone who overreacted back in Feb or March when we didn't really know what was up, but now I do.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:32 am

Hal wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:21 am
We made it into the Russian News!

https://www.rt.com/op-ed/497095-melbour ... -lockdown/
Darn, I thought you meant the forum.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:47 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:27 am
flyingpylon wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:30 am
The problem is that the goalposts for returning to school EVERYTHING are being moved again.
This is what I don't get. The curve was flattened. The death rate was minuscule compared to projections, especially if you remove the debacle of sending sick people back to nursing homes. WTF?
I've been thinking the same thing!

NYC and my institution are both continuing to act as if all of us are in mortal danger from stepping outside of our homes. The latest is the installation of police checkpoints at all major entrances into the city, with a required online questionnaire to fill out with personal details and stiff fines for refusing to comply. Why now, Bill the Great? And by the way, notice how "defunding the police" went right out the window. Plus the police don't have time to address actual crime, but they do have time to hang around bridges and tunnels and cause massive traffic jams?

I also got royally sick of my institution continuing with their internal lockdown, which is more severe than the state's and is also presented in a vague and confusing way that allows a lot of scope for interpretation. I suggested to my core lab members (numbering less than 10) that we get together in the office on Thursday afternoons - with masks on of course. First time was yesterday. One guy was nervous and stayed home, but everyone else was literally delirious with joy. We got so much done!! The lone holdout wrote to me this morning and said he was sorry he'd missed it and will join us next week. That's basically 100% of a medically savvy group unconcerned about the COVID bogeyman.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:35 pm

WiseOne wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:47 pm
MangoMan wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:27 am
flyingpylon wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:30 am
The problem is that the goalposts for returning to school EVERYTHING are being moved again.
This is what I don't get. The curve was flattened. The death rate was minuscule compared to projections, especially if you remove the debacle of sending sick people back to nursing homes. WTF?
I've been thinking the same thing!

NYC and my institution are both continuing to act as if all of us are in mortal danger from stepping outside of our homes. The latest is the installation of police checkpoints at all major entrances into the city, with a required online questionnaire to fill out with personal details and stiff fines for refusing to comply. Why now, Bill the Great? And by the way, notice how "defunding the police" went right out the window. Plus the police don't have time to address actual crime, but they do have time to hang around bridges and tunnels and cause massive traffic jams?

I also got royally sick of my institution continuing with their internal lockdown, which is more severe than the state's and is also presented in a vague and confusing way that allows a lot of scope for interpretation. I suggested to my core lab members (numbering less than 10) that we get together in the office on Thursday afternoons - with masks on of course. First time was yesterday. One guy was nervous and stayed home, but everyone else was literally delirious with joy. We got so much done!! The lone holdout wrote to me this morning and said he was sorry he'd missed it and will join us next week. That's basically 100% of a medically savvy group unconcerned about the COVID bogeyman.
The checkpoints are for incoming traffic at the moment.
There's no guarantee they will stay that way.
Time to get out while you still can.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:34 pm

This forum:
Attachments
mask.jpeg
mask.jpeg (38.56 KiB) Viewed 4748 times
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:53 pm

dualstow wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:34 pm
This forum:
:P
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:54 pm

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (107.48 KiB) Viewed 4818 times
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:08 am

Yea yea, we know. Church is bad, riots are good. But hey, maybe some people don't know how infectious diseases spread?
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:11 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:08 am
Yea yea, we know. Church is bad, riots are good. But hey, maybe some people don't know how infectious diseases spread?
Appears, based on the information in Vinny’s image, that a circular sanctuary is the culprit! ;)
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:16 am

Baker slows Mass. reopening process, tightening restrictions on gatherings and restaurants

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/08/07/ ... newsletter
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:02 am

We've been told all along follow the science, follow the data. Here's a chart for Illinois excess deaths. Back to the normal range. But people are instead of saying we crushed this, are saying we need to keep on doing what we are doing to keep it low. So almost all schools are remote. Not even going to try. If this isn't enough to try, what will be? Sigh.

Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:33 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:02 am
We've been told all along follow the science, follow the data. Here's a chart for Illinois excess deaths. Back to the normal range. But people are instead of saying we crushed this, are saying we need to keep on doing what we are doing to keep it low. So almost all schools are remote. Not even going to try. If this isn't enough to try, what will be? Sigh.

Cortopassi, that was one of the most informative set of graphs I've seen lately. Thanks for posting.

DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:38 am

No idea, Cortopassi. I think when a vaccine is come out, proves to be 100% effective, is widely embraced by everyone, and is distributed to every person in the US who wants it. That'll be a minimum of 2-3 years from now if it ever even happens. Well before then people will take matters into their own hands. If governors & mayors decide to yield, the lockdowns will just quietly go away. If they don't, people will find alternatives to city-sanctioned businesses and schools. e.g. popup roadside stands, informal group homeschools. Or more likely, people will just decide to pick up and move somewhere saner.

In response to that Ohio church service graph: Sure, that's how infectious diseases spread. You could draw a chart like that for any one of hundreds of viruses. The real question is, how many of those people were high risk? Probably very few. And they would have had the option to protect themselves, or not. The people coming to the church service knew what they were risking, and chose to come anyway. Remember that these people have been attending church services during cold/flu season their entire lives. Why is that a problem, as long as the health care system can handle the caseload? How is that the government's concern to begin with, even?
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:24 am

Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
PP67
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by PP67 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:43 am

Cort, great charts! Could you provide a link? Thanks!
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:21 am

PP67 wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:43 am
Cort, great charts! Could you provide a link? Thanks!
There are a bunch of tick boxes down this page to change the data shown.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covi ... deaths.htm
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:53 pm

I thought the article linked below was an interesting take on COVID containing this interesting fact of which I was not aware.
In 1968, the Hong Kong Flu killed approximately 4 million people globally. Not only did we not shut down our economy in the face of that staggering number, but the three-day Woodstock Rock Festival in upstate New York was held in the midst of the epidemic.
1968 was one year after I graduated from high school and the year I was inducted into the Navy. I remember Woodstock very well but have absolutely no recollection of the Hong Kong Flu.

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/20 ... vid19.html
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:02 pm

pp4me wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:53 pm
I thought the article linked below was an interesting take on COVID containing this interesting fact of which I was not aware.
In 1968, the Hong Kong Flu killed approximately 4 million people globally. Not only did we not shut down our economy in the face of that staggering number, but the three-day Woodstock Rock Festival in upstate New York was held in the midst of the epidemic.
1968 was one year after I graduated from high school and the year I was inducted into the Navy. I remember Woodstock very well but have absolutely no recollection of the Hong Kong Flu.

Woodstock was August, 1969 (the year I graduated). I also have zero memory of the Hong Kong Flu.

Vinny
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:14 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:02 pm
pp4me wrote:

Woodstock was August, 1969 (the year I graduated). I also have zero memory of the Hong Kong Flu.

Vinny
I'm not sure what to make of this pandemic that nobody remembers. Was the media covering it up? Was it just not that serious? Is our media now sensationalizing the current pandemic?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:03 pm

Xan wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:14 pm
vnatale wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:02 pm
pp4me wrote:

Vinny
I'm not sure what to make of this pandemic that nobody remembers. Was the media covering it up? Was it just not that serious? Is our media now sensationalizing the current pandemic?
Some facts from here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hong_Kong_flu

I was 17, 18 years old at the time and quite aware of what was going on in the world around me as we received three newspapers a day, which I read. Again, have ZERO memory of it.

Vinny

Mortality
The United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimated that in total, the virus killed one million people worldwide[14] from its beginning in July 1968 until the outbreak faded during the winter of 1969–70.[15] The CDC estimated that about 34,000 to 100,000 people died in the U.S; most excess deaths were in those 65 and older.[16][17] However, fewer people died during this pandemic than in previous pandemics for several reasons:[14]

Some immunity against the N2 flu virus may have been retained in populations struck by the Asian Flu strains that had been circulating since 1957.
The pandemic did not gain momentum until near the winter school holidays, thus limiting the infection's spread.
Improved medical care gave vital support to the very ill.
The availability of antibiotics that were more effective against secondary bacterial infections.
For this pandemic, there were two geographically-distinct mortality patterns. In North America (the United States and Canada), the first pandemic season (1968/69) was more severe than the second (1969/70). In the "smoldering" pattern seen in Europe and Asia (United Kingdom, France, Japan, and Australia), the second pandemic season was two to five times more severe than the first.[18]
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:00 am

I also have only the vaguest memory of the 2009 novel H1N1, aka swine flu pandemic.

Here's an article about that by Sharyl Attkisson. It contains this gem...
In late July, the CDC abruptly advised states to stop testing for H1N1 flu, and stopped counting individual cases. The rationale given for the CDC guidance to forego testing and tracking individual cases was: why waste resources testing for H1N1 flu when the government has already confirmed there's an epidemic?
Do you remember the outcry when Trump suggested that we should stop testing for COVID?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/swine-flu- ... estimated/
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:04 pm

One result of the virus on the area in which I live:

Moving to the country: Franklin County sees uptick in homebuyers from cities

https://www.recorder.com/City-folks-mov ... y-35501300

"According to Sandvik, the exodus from cities has led to a competitive housing market. Sandvik and Gross said some clients have put in offers over asking prices, but are still at risk of being beat out by cash buyers from Boston or New York.

“Sometimes, houses are going for $30,000 over the asking price,” Sandvik said.

Fitzgerald said she is getting multiple offers on almost every property. She said the influx of people to the county sees both people looking for a second home or a primary home. Fitzgerald said she has especially noticed an increase of homebuyers interested in houses in a higher-end price range. She also noted that there has been an increased interest in purchasing undeveloped land, and a number of these buyers are from out of the area."

Vinny
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:57 pm

So every April the 5th graders at my son’s elementary get to go on an overnight Science field trip. Sleep outside, study nature etc. This year is my son’s turn to go.

Except tonight we got the email that this outdoor camping trip in April (7 months away!) has been cancelled due to Covid. But not to worry, “virtual science experiences” are being rolled out to take its place. “Student safety and well-being remain our top priority.”

My email response to the district is to ask if student safety is a top priority, why in the hell did you ever let them go on an overnight campout in the first place? All those mosquitoes and ticks carrying lord knows what diseases. Best to keep them in front of computers going forward.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:54 pm

When I was a kid, all of the field trips at school required parents to sign a permission/waiver form acknowledging that the field trip entailed certain risks and that the parent accepted those risks and allowed their kid to go. I guess those were simpler times, when common sense still existed.

Why not let the more cautious parents simply choose not to send their kids on the field trip, and let the other parents send their kids?