Coronavirus General Discussion

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by Libertarian666 »

WiseOne wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:48 am A kettlebell, pullup bar, resistance bands and a yoga mat, and you can do just about anything. My kettlebell is an Amazon basics. It's great. Also, check out the "body weight fitness" page on Reddit. They have several different routines depending on your fitness goals.

p.s. the yoga mat doubles as a cat toy!
This is cute enough to almost make me want a pet: https://thecatchme.com/
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

vnatale wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:02 pm Rand Paul tested positive. No symptoms but staying home.

Vinny
He'll get treatment.
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem »

Libertarian666 wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:28 pm
vnatale wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:02 pm Rand Paul tested positive. No symptoms but staying home.

Vinny
He'll get treatment.

His dad is an MD.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

MangoMan wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:58 pm You have that backward. Rand is the MD, not Ron. Maybe he can treat himself.
They're both MDs. Ron is an OB/GYN, Rand is an ophthalmologist.
D1984
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by D1984 »

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/22/gil ... emdesivir/

I don't know if this is because they actually ran out as of right now which doesn't appear to be what is happening; it seems to be the case instead that they are busy working through too many applications to accept any more for approval at the moment.

If they are actually out I can only hope they the government pays them whatever it takes to make more--and quickly--because apparently as of right now the only access (outside of pregnant women and children who are under 18) is through the current Phase III clinical trials (which begs the question...we already know this stuff isn't lethal or highly dangerous to humans due to the fact that it was Phase I and II trialed during the 2014-15 Ebola outbreak IIRC...so why can't the government just request them to produce it, pay for it, and distribute it on a "we can't guarantee this works and make no claim that it treats or cures any condition but it is at least proven to be no worse than doing nothing so if you want to try it and are willing to risk doing do, be our guests" ? )

EDIT: Of course it goes without saying that the Phase III clinical trials should still be run (and/or I assume are already being run) as planned but in the meantime, why not allow remdesivir to be available on the above basis to those who are sick/dying of COVID-19 and would like to at least try it?
MarketIfTouched
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by MarketIfTouched »

Smith1776 wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:24 am A couple days of these prison-style workouts... I have to say I underestimated how much I could do from home.

It's not as good as the gym, but it should be enough to tide me over for now and stave off muscular atrophy.
My last day at the gym was Thursday, 12-Mar, my first day of 'social distancing' was 13-Mar. I miss going too.

Haven't set up anything at home yet, and have taken long walks in the park everyday for exercise, and to get some fresh air.

Park has been pretty empty for the most part.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

MarketIfTouched wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:22 pm
My last day at the gym was Thursday, 12-Mar, my first day of 'social distancing' was 13-Mar. I miss going too.

Haven't set up anything at home yet, and have taken long walks in the park everyday for exercise, and to get some fresh air.

My biggest issue so far has been the cardio.

Because of my knee issues I can't just go out and run on pavement (treadmill is okay). So far my bike has been a good solution! It's kind of a piece of crap, but it gets the job done.
DITM
www.allterraininvesting.com
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Smith1776 wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:34 pm

Because of my knee issues I can't just go out and run on pavement (treadmill is okay). So far my bike has been a good solution! It's kind of a piece of crap, but it gets the job done.
I have no knee issues. I run in place on a hard wood floor. I did have knee issues ten years ago. Read and followed the instructions in a great book and they immediately went away.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Smith1776 wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:34 pm

High rep turkish getups.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

vnatale wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:38 pm

I have no knee issues. I run in place on a hard wood floor. I did have knee issues ten years ago. Read and followed the instructions in a great book and they immediately went away.

Vinny
Happen to remember what the book was? Someone at work made a similar comment about how maybe i'm just not running correctly.

Some of it is, I'm sure, due to some childhood stresses on the legs. But I absolutely concede there's probably some truth to the idea that my technique is just wrong.
DITM
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/22/stock-m ... -news.html

Stock futures have hit limit down before tomorrow's trading. Looks like the chaos is far from over.
DITM
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 »

Regarding knee pain, have you heard of zero-drop shoes? The kind I wear are made by a company called Altra. Regular shoes are raised in the heel, which puts unnatural stress on your knees. It takes a few weeks to get used to zero-drop shoes, but after that, voila, no more knee pain for me.

Also, if you do isometric clenching of the inside muscles in your thighs (like 10 reps by 10 sets throughout the day when your legs are straight not bent, so say standing up or lying on your back), it helps to pull your kneecaps into alignment. The outside muscles tend to be much stronger than the inside muscles.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Smith1776 wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:44 pm
vnatale wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:38 pm

Vinny
Happen to remember what the book was? Someone at work made a similar comment about how maybe i'm just not running correctly.

Some of it is, I'm sure, due to some childhood stresses on the legs. But I absolutely concede there's probably some truth to the idea that my technique is just wrong.
This is it: Heal Your Knees: How to Prevent Knee Surgery and What to Do If You Need It

https://www.amazon.com/Heal-Your-Knees- ... l_huc_item

You can buy it used for $8 delivered in United States. Don't know how that translates to Canada.

This is from one of its authors: https://completept.com/knee-injury/

I got lucky. Shortly after the knee pain arose for me I made a rare appearance in a local library, was browsing, and came across the book. Was so good I read the entire book that night.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

vnatale wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:02 pm

This is it: Heal Your Knees: How to Prevent Knee Surgery and What to Do If You Need It

You can buy it used for $8 delivered in United States. Don't know how that translates to Canada.

I got lucky. Shortly after the knee pain arose for me I made a rare appearance in a local library, was browsing, and came across the book. Was so good I read the entire book that night.

Vinny
Thanks so much, my friend. The bright spot of quarantine has been the break my knees have been getting from gym stuff. That combined with the book recommendation may make this a blessing in disguise.

Exchange rate is brutal thanks to flight to safety. $8 American is about half of Canada's GDP.
DITM
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Smith1776 wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:08 pm

Vinny
Thanks so much, my friend. The bright spot of quarantine has been the break my knees have been getting from gym stuff. That combined with the book recommendation may make this a blessing in disguise.

Exchange rate is brutal thanks to flight to safety. $8 American is about half of Canada's GDP.
I'm seeing that the exchange is now 1.44 that that $8 would be closer to $12?

How does Amazon work with sales of Kindle versions? Is a $10 American sold for $14.40 Canadian? Or, is there some sort of special deal since there are no material costs to selling a Kindle version/

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

MangoMan wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:03 pm
vnatale wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:53 pm
Smith1776 wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:08 pm

Vinny

I'm seeing that the exchange is now 1.44 that that $8 would be closer to $12?

How does Amazon work with sales of Kindle versions? Is a $10 American sold for $14.40 Canadian? Or, is there some sort of special deal since there are no material costs to selling a Kindle version/

Vinny
That was a hyperbolic joke.
I well understood that one. But paying 44% extra all the time is way worse than me having to 6.25% extra when sales tax is imposed.

Vinny
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

My sleep schedule is officially, totally out of whack. It's like that summer of grade 9 all over again.

While you guys are all asleep I'd just like to say thanks for keeping me sane through this whole quarantine thing. I'll (eventually) go to bed. Don't write on my face while I sleep, please. We're not living in a frat anymore.

P.S. I found a bunker we can start our PP community in. https://www.theguardian.com/news/2020/m ... ket-newtab
DITM
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Yet another option....

Vinny

The Lockdown Workout: What to Do If Your Gym Is Closed

https://muscleevo.net/lockdown-workout/
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Smith1776 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:32 am My sleep schedule is officially, totally out of whack. It's like that summer of grade 9 all over again.

While you guys are all asleep I'd just like to say thanks for keeping me sane through this whole quarantine thing. I'll (eventually) go to bed. Don't write on my face while I sleep, please. We're not living in a frat anymore.

P.S. I found a bunker we can start our PP community in. https://www.theguardian.com/news/2020/m ... ket-newtab
I’ve been meaning to say I’m surprised bunkers haven’t come up yet in the context of this virus and self-isolation. We used to post about bunkers.

How about if we just shave half an eyebrow.
9pm EST Explosions in Iran (Isfahan) and Syria and Iraq. Not yet confirmed.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

dualstow wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:26 am
Smith1776 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:32 am My sleep schedule is officially, totally out of whack. It's like that summer of grade 9 all over again.

I’ve been meaning to say I’m surprised bunkers haven’t come up yet in the context of this virus and self-isolation. We used to post about bunkers.

How about if we just shave half an eyebrow.
I'm in my bunker right now.
It is cleverly disguised as a modest ranch home in the sticks.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm hearing Cuomo say that they are demanding that all New York hospitals must increase the capacity by 50%!!! He's prefer it if they increased it by 100%!

Vinny
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne »

dualstow wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:03 pm
pmward wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:30 am U.S. officials has 27,207 cases. Up from what, 1,000 a week ago? https://www.bing.com/covid?ref=share
Well it’s up 20% today. https://ncov2019.live/
EDIT: couple hours later- make that +37% just today. Somebody found some test kits.
EDIT2: and it has backtracked to 34%. weird.
New York expanded testing over the weekend, and since most of the US cases are in this state it bumped the stats a bit. No way to know how much is testing-related of course.

A possibly useful measure: early last week, my hospital system reported having 200 inpatients with COVID. Today, it's over 600.

Now you know why Cuomo wants to double the number of beds. I don't know how many total beds my hospital system has but I doubt it's over 2000...meaning that something on the order of 1/4 the beds are already taken up by *confirmed* COVID cases.

On the bit of good news side...someone in my hospital got the brilliant idea of figuring out a way to put two patients on one ventilator. They're testing that now and plan to push it out to general use in the next few days.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

WiseOne wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:03 am
dualstow wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:03 pm
pmward wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:30 am U.S. officials has 27,207 cases. Up from what, 1,000 a week ago? https://www.bing.com/covid?ref=share
Well it’s up 20% today. https://ncov2019.live/
EDIT: couple hours later- make that +37% just today. Somebody found some test kits.
EDIT2: and it has backtracked to 34%. weird.
New York expanded testing over the weekend, and since most of the US cases are in this state it bumped the stats a bit. No way to know how much is testing-related of course.

A possibly useful measure: early last week, my hospital system reported having 200 inpatients with COVID. Today, it's over 600.

Now you know why Cuomo wants to double the number of beds. I don't know how many total beds my hospital system has but I doubt it's over 2000...meaning that something on the order of 1/4 the beds are already taken up by *confirmed* COVID cases.

On the bit of good news side...someone in my hospital got the brilliant idea of figuring out a way to put two patients on one ventilator. They're testing that now and plan to push it out to general use in the next few days.
Also, in Cuomo's briefing of today he showed that New York is far and away the top of the cases in the country - fully 25% of them - in justifying his request for resources going to where most needed.

Vinny
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal »

Well this is a first...

Interstate travel stopping in Australia.
Anything like this happening in the US or elsewhere?

https://www.news.com.au/national/south- ... d39834815f
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Hal wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:54 am Well this is a first...

Interstate travel stopping in Australia.
Anything like this happening in the US or elsewhere?

https://www.news.com.au/national/south- ... d39834815f
No! I think I would have certainly have heard about it by now.

There is some discontent being expressed that we don't have a full uniform, national response, instead, leaving it up to each individual state to decide, resulting in 50 different responses.

Vinny