Or clothes from surgery?
Casual Friday
No escape from COVID-19

Open up wide,
Keep up social distancing,
I'm just a young boy, I need no sympathy,
I'll spread it if I cough, if I blow,
out my nose, sans elbow,
Any way this thing goes, doesn't really matter to me, to me.
Excellent! Medium Tex could have done no better!
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by pugchief » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:49 pm

Illinois on shelter-in-place lockdown effective tomorrow per governor.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:28 pm

This Lt. Gen. from the Army Corps of Engineers (presently on C-Span with others) is absolutely wild! They ARE ready to start building more hospital spaces in every state in the country!

Vinny
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:42 pm

pugchief wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:49 pm
Illinois on shelter-in-place lockdown effective tomorrow per governor.
What are the exceptions? How do you prove you are an exception?

Vinny
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:56 pm

You can still go to the doctor, the grocery and gas stations, etc.

The thing is, there's nowhere to go anyway bc everything else is closed, so it's really just a notification to the people who aren't taking it seriously.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:12 pm

If you missed it the first time around, C-Span is getting showing today's Coronavirus Response. It just started and Trump's just wrapping up his comments before he turns it over to the others there.

Vinny
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:37 pm

technovelist wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:09 pm
I believe it is for hydroxychloroquine but my understanding is that they are very similar drugs. I'm not a doctor or pharmacist, so I can't say exactly what the differences might be.

As for whether the POTUS could order the FDA commissioner to approve a drug, the FDA is an (illegal) executive branch agency, so it is under POTUS' authority. So I'm pretty sure the Constitutional answer would be yes.

In any event, every potential treatment that has a reasonable safety record in other uses must be used if we are to head off disaster.
There's some confusion here...the Chinese report was for chloroquine, which is a malaria drug that is common around the world but not available in the US. The news articles here, and the French study etc, was for hydroxychloroquine, trade name Plaquenil. It's an immune-modulating/anti-inflammatory drug used for rheumatoid arthritis, and of course already FDA approved for that indication. Using it for COVID-19 would be an off-label use, which insurance companies sometimes raise a stink about but that doctors actually do all the time. And I can't imagine insurance companies balking at paying for a cheap med for COVID patients because that would be the negative press of the century.

I'm just as confused as you guys are. Those two drugs may be chemically related, but they are NOT the same.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:53 pm

First work, then the gym, then school, and finally... my music lessons.

All of my daily out of house routines are officially closed.

It's weirdly liberating.
Check out the Goldsmith PP: https://www.gyroscopicinvesting.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9613
The government causing inflation and giving us TIPS is like breaking our legs and giving us crutches.
Broscience -- Word of mouth knowledge passed off as fact, primarily among bodybuilders + weightlifters.
Lily is the official mascot of the Gyroscopic Investing forum.
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:14 pm

sophie wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:37 pm
technovelist wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:09 pm
I believe it is for hydroxychloroquine but my understanding is that they are very similar drugs. I'm not a doctor or pharmacist, so I can't say exactly what the differences might be.

As for whether the POTUS could order the FDA commissioner to approve a drug, the FDA is an (illegal) executive branch agency, so it is under POTUS' authority. So I'm pretty sure the Constitutional answer would be yes.

In any event, every potential treatment that has a reasonable safety record in other uses must be used if we are to head off disaster.
There's some confusion here...the Chinese report was for chloroquine, which is a malaria drug that is common around the world but not available in the US. The news articles here, and the French study etc, was for hydroxychloroquine, trade name Plaquenil. It's an immune-modulating/anti-inflammatory drug used for rheumatoid arthritis, and of course already FDA approved for that indication. Using it for COVID-19 would be an off-label use, which insurance companies sometimes raise a stink about but that doctors actually do all the time. And I can't imagine insurance companies balking at paying for a cheap med for COVID patients because that would be the negative press of the century.

I'm just as confused as you guys are. Those two drugs may be chemically related, but they are NOT the same.
Thanks, I guess. :P

Whatever it is, it had better work or we're in for a trip through hell.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:15 pm

I have another date today with that girl I told you guys about. The one that lives down the street.

We have not been practicing social distancing. O0
Check out the Goldsmith PP: https://www.gyroscopicinvesting.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9613
The government causing inflation and giving us TIPS is like breaking our legs and giving us crutches.
Broscience -- Word of mouth knowledge passed off as fact, primarily among bodybuilders + weightlifters.
Lily is the official mascot of the Gyroscopic Investing forum.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:19 pm

Haha! Stay safe (in the microbial sense at least).
technovelist wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:14 pm
sophie wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:37 pm

Thanks, I guess. :P

Made me laugh out loud.
Last edited by dualstow on Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
we have arrived at a situation in which well-intentioned liberal people often can’t bring themselves to say that lawless violence is wrong. —Gary Morson ,WSJ
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:28 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:15 pm
I have another date today with that girl I told you guys about. The one that lives down the street.

We have not been practicing social distancing. O0
The medical person for the state of Ohio coined a different two word phrase for the ever-present "social distancing". Though I heard it within the last two hours I'm forgetting it.

She was emphasizing that we could still be social in different ways (like we all are here) but at a distance.

Could have been "Practical distancing"?

VInny