Moderator: Global Moderator

Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by Smith1776 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:53 am

dualstow wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:09 pm
That is truly hair-curling. The speed of this is like a wildfire. The border & travel problems really do make it seem like a movie.
The last line— um, I hope she’s really talking about dogs, and it’s not some Bird Box effect that drove her insane. It’s a rather strange way to close the narrative.
Yet to watch Bird Box... I've only seen the memes.

Added to the list!
Check out the Goldsmith PP: https://www.gyroscopicinvesting.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9613
The government causing inflation and giving us TIPS is like breaking our legs and giving us crutches.
Broscience -- Word of mouth knowledge passed off as fact, primarily among bodybuilders + weightlifters.
Lily is the official mascot of the Gyroscopic Investing forum.
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dieter » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:11 am

Smith1776 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:43 pm
https://9gag.com/gag/ax7w5zL
That is so me. Although two computers - one for work, one to pay bills.

And misses using the phone to read FB, news, forums...
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:12 am

The video at the link seems just as relevant today as it was when produced (~1948). Enjoy!

"A slightly comedic piece written to a secular audience at the height of the Cold War. This was published shortly after Soviet Russia had enslaved the populations of Eastern Europe, and three years after atomic bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxFmkg5 ... COPY_01%29
Vocation - doing what God has given me to do for the sake of the other.
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:24 am

Xan wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:27 pm
stuper1 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:25 pm
flyingpylon wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:13 pm
Indiana schools now officially online only through May 1.

But the real tragedy is that the chances of holding the Indy 500 (world's largest single-day sporting event) on May 24 are getting slimmer and slimmer. Realistically they are probably zero, but nothing official yet.
Without looking it up, I would venture to say that the world's largest single day sporting event is a soccer game, either the annual Champions League final in June or the quadrennial World Cup final. This year's Champions League final is in serious doubt currently.
Really? There's no way you can get as many people around a soccer field as a racetrack. The Indy racetrack seats 250,000.
Xan is almost certainly correct. I did see a soccer game in Brazil in 1982 at The Maracanã. Before the seating was reconfigured in that stadium, the seating capacity was nearly 200,000.
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:57 am

A few thoughts...

I think people are correct to question the numbers coming out of China regarding new CV cases and deaths, but it seems clear that the trends there are at least positive. Factories are up and running and many people are back at work. Cars are back on the street. Health workers appear to be leaving Wuhan in droves.

The numbers (new cases, deaths, people recovered) are also encouraging in Singapore, Taiwan, Hong Kong, South Korea & Japan.

Cases are on the rise in hot countries like Thailand & Malaysia but death rates seem to be lower so far than what we are seeing in Europe.

All of the above are really positive developments, right?

On an another topic, I am really baffled about the painfully slow pace of Americans to adopt widespread use of face masks. When people start flying here again, are we really going to not wear face masks? What about for Broadway & Vegas shows or NBA games? It seems a small price to pay.

We'd obviously need to be producing masks in the hundreds of millions at least, but that seems like small potatoes when the alternative would be to continue to crash the economy.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:08 am

barrett wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:57 am
All of the above are really positive developments, right?

On an another topic, I am really baffled about the painfully slow pace of Americans to adopt widespread use of face masks.
Positive developments.

When masks are widely available again, I hope the authorities send out a message reversing the guideline of "masks are for the sick."
Even before they said that, there seems to be a cultural aspect: you see someone on the street wearing a mask and your gut reaction may be that this person is sick. Complicating things, the person wearing the mask on the street (in the U.S.) is more likely Chinese than not.
That's because it is common in places like Taiwan to wear a mask. They even wear a mask for pollution when on motorcycles. No stigma.

So, I think someone needs to tell us to wear masks. Maybe the flight attendants should even hand them out.
we have arrived at a situation in which well-intentioned liberal people often can’t bring themselves to say that lawless violence is wrong. —Gary Morson ,WSJ
Vil

Post by Vil » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:02 am

As always, we're well ahead of US ;D - you can see how some parliamentary representatives looked today during their session. There is some brave lady in the upper right corner of the photo - guess a former member of the Communist party (actually most of them are..)

Joke apart - army is already on the streets, almost complete lockdown. Haven't heard the latest news but I still hope we're allowed to breathe (at home of course).
Attachments
Parliament.jpg
Parliament.jpg (42.76 KiB) Viewed 213 times
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:14 am

^ Bulgaria ^
we have arrived at a situation in which well-intentioned liberal people often can’t bring themselves to say that lawless violence is wrong. —Gary Morson ,WSJ
Vil

Post by Vil » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:15 am

Heh, good guess. I think I've mentioned in the past from where I am, or did you get it somewhere in the news (just curious) ?
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:20 am

Vil wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:02 am
As always, we're well ahead of US ;D - you can see how some parliamentary representatives looked today during their session. There is some brave lady in the upper right corner of the photo - guess a former member of the Communist party (actually most of them are..)

Joke apart - army is already on the streets, almost complete lockdown. Haven't heard the latest news but I still hope we're allowed to breathe (at home of course).
This Respirator is to filter incoming not outgoing breath.
So I do not think it is much good if you have the Flu already.
But with the Cartridges it sure will be effective and a lot more comfortable.
North_770030_3_44d73c30-790a-49de-a3c9-c7d7399c4d1f_500x500.png
North_770030_3_44d73c30-790a-49de-a3c9-c7d7399c4d1f_500x500.png (201.83 KiB) Viewed 200 times
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:25 am

Vil wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:15 am
Heh, good guess. I think I've mentioned in the past from where I am, or did you get it somewhere in the news (just curious) ?
I think you did mention it once but I'd forgotten, and I guessed wrong. I started with Russia. Came across a twitter post tweet that said "Casual Friday in the Bulgarian Parliament" with the same photo. O0
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:37 pm

Islamic housewives?
Or clothes from surgery?
Casual Friday
No escape from COVID-19

Open up wide,
Keep up social distancing,
I'm just a young boy, I need no sympathy,
I'll spread it if I cough, if I blow,
out my nose, sans elbow,
Any way this thing goes, doesn't really matter to me, to me.
All of humanity’s problems with coronavirus stem from a man’s inability to sit quietly in a room alone.
- Blasé Kriegsspiel