Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:07 pm

vnatale wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:48 pm
Mountaineer wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:42 pm
Not to be too contrarian, but there are things more important than focus on self, especially now. Please do not make your body into an idol. My very best wishes for you. :)
However, our bodies / selves are one of the few things in which we have a high degree of control over. And, I can testify that a healthy body enables one to do a lot of other things that unhealthy people are unable to do.

VInny

Good stewardship of God’s gift. :)
Vocation - doing what God has given me to do for the sake of the other.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:08 pm

sophie wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:05 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:04 pm
Look at what the Coronavirus has done to your resident Canadian.

With no work or classes to actually attend I ended up staying up till 5am watching Breaking Bad. :-X
Sounds like pure bliss! Enjoy!

A couple week video game & TV sabbatical? Sign me up! The morning briefing today said that medical staff not currently on the front line (e.g. me) should expect to be "re-deployed" in the coming weeks.
I just started yesterday and I'm already on season 2. Send help! This is depression behaviour without the depression. :o

I used to have real depression. You know what was a friggin' miracle cure? Vitamin D. Changed my life.

On another note, I totally salute you and the work you're doing as a medical professional. You people are real heroes. Thanks, Sophie!
Check out the Goldsmith PP: https://www.gyroscopicinvesting.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9613
The government causing inflation and giving us TIPS is like breaking our legs and giving us crutches.
Broscience -- Word of mouth knowledge passed off as fact, primarily among bodybuilders + weightlifters.
Lily is the official mascot of the Gyroscopic Investing forum.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:09 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:34 pm
Like, how can one safely replicate the resistance you get from a legitimate bench press at the gym? Push ups and such might be enough to stave off atrophy for a while... but that's about it.
Do you live near any playgrounds or parks? They often have bars that can be used for chin-ups and dips, which are both great upper-body exercises that can build some muscle. Not like heavy barbells, but at least it's something.
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:10 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
barrett wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:25 pm

Are you in Vancouver proper or somewhere else in the Lower Mainland? I used to work out that way a lot.

And no home workouts now that the gym is closed?
I'm about a 30 minute drive outside of Vancouver in the Fraser Valley area! Are you in the area too?

And yeah, I've put together a home workout plan, but there's no way any home workout can compare to real gym time, as I'm sure you're aware.

Like, how can one safely replicate the resistance you get from a legitimate bench press at the gym? Push ups and such might be enough to stave off atrophy for a while... but that's about it.
I live in CT now but have spent a ton of time out your way. And I know most of the towns in the Fraser Valley.

I asked about home workouts because I am trying to keep fit while also staying away from a lot of people.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:15 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:09 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
Do you live near any playgrounds or parks? They often have bars that can be used for chin-ups and dips, which are both great upper-body exercises that can build some muscle. Not like heavy barbells, but at least it's something.
Get a dip belt and hang stuff on it for added resistance. I have had the Ironmind one for years now. You can also get their hip belt for belt squats (and also for everything the dip belt can do). I've never tried it but I have had it in mind since I hurt my back a while ago.
Last edited by Kriegsspiel on Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All of humanity’s problems with coronavirus stem from a man’s inability to sit quietly in a room alone.
- Blasé Kriegsspiel
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:22 pm

sophie wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:05 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:04 pm
Look at what the Coronavirus has done to your resident Canadian.

With no work or classes to actually attend I ended up staying up till 5am watching Breaking Bad. :-X
Sounds like pure bliss! Enjoy!

A couple week video game & TV sabbatical? Sign me up! The morning briefing today said that medical staff not currently on the front line (e.g. me) should expect to be "re-deployed" in the coming weeks.
I'm not sure "re-deployed" should really be in quotes.
I'm afraid it will be like a MASH unit.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:32 pm

barrett wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:10 pm
I live in CT now but have spent a ton of time out your way. And I know most of the towns in the Fraser Valley.

I asked about home workouts because I am trying to keep fit while also staying away from a lot of people.

Yeah I've been trying to piece together something for myself along those lines. I posted this earlier.

Proposed Coronavirus home workout (no running or jumping due to knee issues.):

- 4 x 25 sit ups
- 4 x 25 ab roller reps
- 4 x 25 push ups
- 3 minute plank
- 2 x 30 second two point planks
- 100 squats
- 2 x 90 second side plank
- 30 reps leg raises
- 30 reps boxer crunches
- 2 x 30 bicycle crunches
- 4 x 25 tricep dips on a bench
- 2 x 25 lunges
- Chin ups/pull ups if I can find a bar

What I have so far. May add/modify as this whole thing progresses.
Check out the Goldsmith PP: https://www.gyroscopicinvesting.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9613
The government causing inflation and giving us TIPS is like breaking our legs and giving us crutches.
Broscience -- Word of mouth knowledge passed off as fact, primarily among bodybuilders + weightlifters.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:34 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:15 pm

Get a dip belt and hang stuff on it for added resistance. I have had the Ironmind one for years now. You can also get their hip belt for belt squats (and also for everything the dip belt can do). I've never tried it but I have had it in mind since I hurt my back a while ago.
It might be a good idea to go out and grab some basic equipment. Maybe what you've mentioned along with an ab roller and a new skipping rope. All I've really got at home is a yoga mat.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:48 pm

The 1957 pandemic struck in the golden age of antibiotics, but even then just 25% of the fatalities had viral pneumonia only; 75% of the deaths came from complications, generally bacterial pneumonia. Since then bacterial resistance has become a major problem in medicine. Today the mortality rate for a bacterial pneumonia following influenza is still roughly 7%, and in some parts of the US, 35% of pneumococcal infections are resistant to the antibiotic of choice. When staphylococcus aureus, a bacterium that has become particularly troubling in hospitals because of its resistance to antibiotics, is the secondary invader, the death rate -today- rises to as high as 42%. That is higher than the general death rate from bacterial pneumonias in 1918.
Barry, The Great Influenza
All of humanity’s problems with coronavirus stem from a man’s inability to sit quietly in a room alone.
- Blasé Kriegsspiel
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:50 pm

Silly boys at the Bogleheads quaking over credit risk in TBM funds.

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewto ... &start=100

If they just held the PP they wouldn't have to waste all that time and energy.
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:59 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:50 pm
Silly boys at the Bogleheads quaking over credit risk in TBM funds.

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewto ... &start=100

If they just held the PP they wouldn't have to waste all that time and energy.
But the PP is crazy. It has gold in it, and you can't eat gold!

Do they eat T-bills? I don't think that is even possible...
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:08 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:07 pm
vnatale wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:48 pm
Mountaineer wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:42 pm
Not to be too contrarian, but there are things more important than focus on self, especially now. Please do not make your body into an idol. My very best wishes for you. :)
However, our bodies / selves are one of the few things in which we have a high degree of control over. And, I can testify that a healthy body enables one to do a lot of other things that unhealthy people are unable to do.

VInny

Good stewardship of God’s gift. :)
100% agree!

Vinny
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."