Coronavirus General Discussion

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by dualstow »

It’s true, though. Whether or not the government is competent or benevolent or not, they do have information that we don’t.
9pm EST Explosions in Iran (Isfahan) and Syria and Iraq. Not yet confirmed.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

stuper1 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:11 am
Libertarian666 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:43 amBut I'm sure that the government has information I don't have, so what they are doing may make sense.
This was the sentence that was jarring to me. I never thought I'd hear something like that from your keyboard.

Just makes me more sure that we are living in a very strange time.
If I had said "I'm sure that what the government is doing makes sense", you would have been justified in calling for a psych evaluation. :D
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

No worries tech, we're on the same page.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Trump was just asked about the Treasury Secretary saying unemployment going to 20%. Trump said he does not believe it and it is a worst case.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Thanks for the explicit announcement? Can't imagine why people are buying firearms.
Due to the coronavirus crisis, Philadelphia police will no longer be making arrests for all narcotics offenses, theft from persons, retail theft, theft from auto, burglary, vandalism, bench warrants, stolen autos, economic crimes such as passing bad checks, fraud, & prostitution.
https://twitter.com/odonnell_r/status/1 ... 91459?s=20

Similar story in some other cities.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

I recommend Glocks :D :D :D :D :D :D
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Kriegsspiel wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:10 pm I recommend Glocks :D :D :D :D :D :D
If you ever had to renew your forum account, you could have the handle Glockenspiel.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

Libertarian666 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:25 am
Kriegsspiel wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:27 am My gut feel is that this shouldn't be as devastating as it is becoming.
I think that if we don't find a treatment that can keep people out of the hospital, the best solution is to keep all the especially vulnerable people at home until the pandemic runs its course to the point where most people have had it and are no longer going to transmit it to them.
Bingo. If you hadn't said this, I was going to make the same suggestion in this thread just now.

Given that the COVID-19 hospitalization and death statistics thus far, based on thousands of cases worldwide, show that the vast majority of healthy, under-60 people don't get much more than a standard fever (if anything) from the virus, it seems like they should just let the virus spread unchecked among that population to build up herd immunity as quickly as possible (while vulnerable and over-60 people remain isolated). That would seem to simultaneously minimize hospitalizations/deaths and the economy's downtime.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

dualstow wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:40 pm
Kriegsspiel wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:10 pm I recommend Glocks :D :D :D :D :D :D
If you ever had to renew your forum account, you could have the handle Glockenspiel.
I LOLD
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Just received this from a friend: "5 cases of Covid 19 at Franklin Baystate. 2 confirmed." It's hit my county. That hospital is about a mile from my office and right next door to where we play basketball (quite convenient when I've had to go to the emergency room as a result of basketball injuries).

We've probably been infected in our county for a while. But impossible to prior tell without being able to test for it.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

vnatale wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:52 pm Just received this from a friend: "5 cases of Covid 19 at Franklin Baystate. 2 confirmed." It's hit my county. That hospital is about a mile from my office and right next door to where we play basketball (quite convenient when I've had to go to the emergency room as a result of basketball injuries).

We've probably been infected in our county for a while. But impossible to prior tell without being able to test for it.

Vinny
I know I've said this already, but DO NOT TAKE ANY RISKS THAT MIGHT LAND YOU IN THE HOSPITAL!!!!!
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

A quick scroll through the headlines indicates that when the Everything Bubble pops, Everyone asks for a bailout.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Tonight, Italy will pass China in number of covid19 deaths. Egad. (Not appropriate to say mamma mia, so egad).
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Libertarian666 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:56 pm
vnatale wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:52 pm Just received this from a friend: "5 cases of Covid 19 at Franklin Baystate. 2 confirmed." It's hit my county. That hospital is about a mile from my office and right next door to where we play basketball (quite convenient when I've had to go to the emergency room as a result of basketball injuries).

Vinny
I know I've said this already, but DO NOT TAKE ANY RISKS THAT MIGHT LAND YOU IN THE HOSPITAL!!!!!
We got a notice last Friday that our basketball was cancelled through at least March 27th. Then shortly after I got a message that they school was closed for two weeks. We can never play when the school is closed. Now the recreation department extended our ban until sometime in April. It's not looking good we'll get in before our season ends at the end of May. Hope our starting up again in late September is not also in jeopardy.

Vinny
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

Look at what the Coronavirus has done to your resident Canadian.

With no work or classes to actually attend I ended up staying up till 5am watching Breaking Bad. :-X

EDIT: Aside from traditional risks in the market, which we're seeing now, counter-party risk is now very real as fund providers, businesses, and intermediaries may now be in danger of going kaput.

EDIT 2: Vancouver has now officially declared a state of emergency. Our employer is paying us for the next two weeks, but my coworkers and I are now wondering about after that.
DITM
www.allterraininvesting.com
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

Thank you to everyone who answered my question about how this crisis "feels" compared to 2008/2009.
DITM
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

My friend sent me this article about wet markets. I've been to a bunch of them.
If you haven't, don't read before dinnertime.

https://spectator.us/time-ban-wet-markets/

Here's a non-gory but important section:
Meanwhile, several articles have decried the problematic ways in which Chinese eating and hygiene habits have been discussed in light of the outbreak, especially because they may lead to stereotyping Chinese people as a whole for being barbaric and uncivilized. These stereotypes, they fear, will only end up fueling xenophobia and racism.

The temptation here is to avoid falling into the trap of cultural relativism. It’s perfectly appropriate to criticize China’s rampant consumption of exotic animals, lack of hygiene standards and otherwise risky behavior that puts people at risk for zoonotic infections. Until these entrenched behaviors based on cultural or magical beliefs are divorced from Chinese culture, wet wildlife markets will linger as time-bombs ready to set off the next pandemic, which in a globalized age is proving only too easy to do. We already know that more than 75 percent of emerging diseases originate in animals and that in the last century, at least 10 infectious diseases jumped from animals to people. China should be aghast at its role setting off the global domino effect at Wuhan Seafood Market in late 2019.
Last edited by dualstow on Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett »

Smith1776 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:04 pm Look at what the Coronavirus has done to your resident Canadian.

With no work or classes to actually attend I ended up staying up till 5am watching Breaking Bad.

EDIT: Aside from traditional risks in the market, which we're seeing now, counter-party risk is now very real as fund providers, businesses, and intermediaries may now be in danger of going kaput.

EDIT 2: Vancouver has now officially declared a state of emergency. Our employer is paying us for the next two weeks, but my coworkers and I are now wondering about after that.
Are you in Vancouver proper or somewhere else in the Lower Mainland? I used to work out that way a lot.

And no home workouts now that the gym is closed?
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

barrett wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:25 pm
Are you in Vancouver proper or somewhere else in the Lower Mainland? I used to work out that way a lot.

And no home workouts now that the gym is closed?
I'm about a 30 minute drive outside of Vancouver in the Fraser Valley area! Are you in the area too?

And yeah, I've put together a home workout plan, but there's no way any home workout can compare to real gym time, as I'm sure you're aware.

Like, how can one safely replicate the resistance you get from a legitimate bench press at the gym? Push ups and such might be enough to stave off atrophy for a while... but that's about it.
DITM
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

Not to be too contrarian, but there are things more important than focus on self, especially now. Please do not make your body into an idol. My very best wishes for you. :)
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

I was wondering where you were, Mountaineer.
I almost wrote to you to warn you, the thread with the title "Know One Another" is not to be interpreted in the Biblical sense.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

Smith1776 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:04 pm Look at what the Coronavirus has done to your resident Canadian.

With no work or classes to actually attend I ended up staying up till 5am watching Breaking Bad. :-X

Fortunately the main counter-party risk with physical gold is those pesky rowboats.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Mountaineer wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:42 pm Not to be too contrarian, but there are things more important than focus on self, especially now. Please do not make your body into an idol. My very best wishes for you. :)
However, our bodies / selves are one of the few things in which we have a high degree of control over. And, I can testify that a healthy body enables one to do a lot of other things that unhealthy people are unable to do.

VInny
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

dualstow wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:45 pm I was wondering where you were, Mountaineer.
I almost wrote to you to warn you, the thread with the title "Know One Another" is not to be interpreted in the Biblical sense.
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne »

Sounds like pure bliss! Enjoy!

A couple week video game & TV sabbatical? Sign me up! The morning briefing today said that medical staff not currently on the front line (e.g. me) should expect to be "re-deployed" in the coming weeks.