Coronavirus General Discussion

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by Ad Orientem »

I think we need to bear in mind that the official numbers of persons infected are probably only a half step removed from pure fantasy The US might as well be a third world country with the numbers tested as a percentage of the population. The ugly truth is we haven't a clue how many are infected except that it is lot more than the government is reporting.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Ad Orientem wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:10 pm I think we need to bear in mind that the official numbers of persons infected are probably only a half step removed from pure fantasy The US might as well be a third world country with the numbers tested as a percentage of the population. The ugly truth is we haven't a clue how many are infected except that it is lot more than the government is reporting.
It's difficult to report when there are so few tests available to determine who is and who is not.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy »

Went into town early this morning, hoping to pick up a few grocery items. The entire aisle of paper products (TP, paper towels, napkins, etc.) was empty. Just the evening before, I had been listening to an interview with a supply chain guy who discussed the fact that the U.S. operates according to a "just in time" model (made possible by computer algorithms) that assure that just enough inventory is delivered to keep shelves full without having anything sitting around in stock rooms and warehouses. He said that many warehouses are already empty and that in a very short time retailers are going to be experiencing widespread shortages that may not get straightened out for 3-6 months. He also mentioned that supplies to rural areas are being diverted to cities.

One happy highlight of the morning: I overheard one shopper invite another shopper who had run out of TP (presumably a stranger) to come up to their place and get a couple of rolls because they had extra. This helpful, "we're all in it together" attitude is one of the true joys of living in the country.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

My employer has closed all stores for 2 weeks officially starting today.

All non-essential people at head office are to be working from home too. Basically just a skeleton crew.

I’m resisting the urge to add Coronavirus jokes to my next stand up set. EVERY comedian is doing it, and apparently audiences are just sick of it.
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
www.allterraininvesting.com
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Smith1776 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:46 pm My employer has closed all stores for 2 weeks officially starting today.

All non-essential people at head office are to be working from home too. Basically just a skeleton crew.

I’m resisting the urge to add Coronavirus jokes to my next stand up set. EVERY comedian is doing it, and apparently audiences are just sick of it.
Was that an INTENTIONAL pun?!!!

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

vnatale wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:57 pm
Smith1776 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:46 pm My employer has closed all stores for 2 weeks officially starting today.

Vinny
I’m expecting everyone who reads that post to do a slow but exasperated clap in front of their computer screen. ^-^
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler »

Smith1776 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:46 pm I’m resisting the urge to add Coronavirus jokes to my next stand up set. EVERY comedian is doing it, and apparently audiences are just sick of it.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

The fed just announced they’re cutting their target interest rate to zero.

We may even see negative rates coming soon ala Europe.

I’m very interested in seeing what will happen to the PP tomorrow.
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward »

Wow, they didn't even wait until the announcement on Wed!
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem »

Stock fuures down more than 1000

Gold and silver both up sharply

PS... Stock futures have suspended trading.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/03/15/ ... OYx7VCXxAU

Baker closes all Mass. schools, announces restaurant restrictions, bans gatherings over 25 people
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

https://www.mass.gov/files/documents/20 ... 5-2020.pdf

It's now hit 2 counties in all of western Massachusetts with the addition of one case in the county two counties to the south of me.

My friend had told me via email this morning about that one case. Seems like it occurs at his son's place of work -- a company of 6,000 employees which then required ALL 6,000 employees to now work from home for the next two weeks.

Vinny
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy »

Ad Orientem wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:35 pm PS... Stock futures have suspended trading.
Is there a specific percentage drop that triggers this? And for how long does it last?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Maddy wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:14 pm
Ad Orientem wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:35 pm PS... Stock futures have suspended trading.
Is there a specific percentage drop that triggers this? And for how long does it last?
There’s a table here. I don’t know if it’s accurate.
https://www.investopedia.com/terms/c/circuitbreaker.asp
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy »

Great info. Thanks, Dualstow!
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Maddy wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:45 pm Just the evening before, I had been listening to an interview with a supply chain guy who discussed the fact that the U.S. operates according to a "just in time" model (made possible by computer algorithms) that assure that just enough inventory is delivered to keep shelves full without having anything sitting around in stock rooms and warehouses. He said that many warehouses are already empty and that in a very short time retailers are going to be experiencing widespread shortages that may not get straightened out for 3-6 months.
Maddy, serious question: did you not know about this before listening to that interview? That this is how pretty much every business in the US operates?
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Vinny
It's beyond a shadow of a doubt now, Vinny is the guy who heckles live comedians.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Schools are shut down where I live, as in most other places.

Today, driving by the basketball courts, I happened to look to my right and see roughly 200 kids playing basketball. Many will then go home, where their grandparents are watching them while their parents are at work.

Seems like a good move.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

Kriegsspiel wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:07 pm Schools are shut down where I live, as in most other places.

Today, driving by the basketball courts, I happened to look to my right and see roughly 200 kids playing basketball. Many will then go home, where their grandparents are watching them while their parents are at work.

Seems like a good move.
This is definitely the argument for leaving schools open.

Our public schools (so far) have closed one extra, unexpected day (last Friday, the 13th) and this week is Spring Break. They say that all "health-related" absences will be excused at least through April 3rd. Of course they might extend Spring Break, but maybe because of the issue you point out, they'll basically let people choose whether to send their kids or not.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona »

This is one time where I'm thankful for my suburban house, and low population density here. I can get out by car, walking, or bicycle and not be exposed to anyone. I'm also tele-working.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Kriegsspiel wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:31 pm

Vinny
It's beyond a shadow of a doubt now, Vinny is the guy who heckles live comedians.
The last time I saw a live comedian perform was around 1987. Comedians are generally not of interest to me.

And, I truly was not certain if he was or was not being intentional.

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Kriegsspiel wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:07 pm Schools are shut down where I live, as in most other places.

Seems like a good move.
Tonight on ESPN radio, the two adult hosts were (I think) both former college basketball players. One asked the other if this week he had the opportunity with nine other guys would he go down to the gym to play basketball. He replied, "No. And, I don't know when I will be able to say Yes." And the original questioner than stated, "Then how can we expect college athletes to play games."

We were supposed to be starting softball practice next week. In a softball you can sometimes get by with just one softball. Potentially in a game every defensive player could touch that ball. If one person has it how many of those other players can it be then transmitted to via the same ball. Is the ball to be sanitized before every pitch, before every throw? I thought we'd be much safer playing softball than basketball since we'd be outdoors and softball has less contact than basketball. But then there is that ball...

Getting back to your scenario. How likely is it for one basketball to get infected and then pass on its infection to the other ball handlers in the game. Does anyone know the answer to questions like that?

Vinny
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

vnatale wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:28 pm The last time I saw a live comedian perform was around 1987.
Vinny heckles comedians —> stock market crashes
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

Honestly, I’d love to share my comedy work with you guys, as I consider you friends. But of course, posting about it here would necessitate giving away both my appearance and identity in a totally public forum.

I’ve been thinking of how I can share more discretely. Perhaps starting a thread and PMing links to people who express interest.
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all