Moderator: Global Moderator

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Online Security

Post by dualstow »

originally in a TLT thread:
dualstow wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:51 pm
vnatale wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:21 pm What is the reason why so many here do not use their real names in any way? It was highly irregular in all those email discussion lists to NOT use their real names.
Unfortunately, my real name is Keanu Reeves, and I don’t want to cause any trouble with that other guy. He’s so nice.
No, it’s what pug said.

• One always has the option to reveal one’s real name in a private message or at an in-person meeting, but you never know if you’re going to rub a random psycho the wrong way — especially if you occasionally spout obnoxious bombast like I do — and it’s just not worth it. You cannot undo a public name reveal. Just ask Jan Van- I still remember when his handle had the rest of his name. O0

• How do we even know when someone uses a normal-sounding name and photo (on twitter, for example), that it’s really that person? I’m not talking about celebrities or officials with blue checks, of course.
Following up on this, Vinny, now that you put your home city in your profile, I can see your age — exact birthdate in fact — employer, area code, the beginning of your address, and some email addresses. Some of those may be out of date, but isn’t that weird that it’s floating around, and accessible via the most casual and cursory of searches? Source:mylife dot com

An older thread on security: Internet Security
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4836&p=70555&hilit=security#p70555
9pm EST Explosions in Iran (Isfahan) and Syria and Iraq. Not yet confirmed.
europeanwizard
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Online Security

Post by europeanwizard »

This forum is extremely revealing in the financial sense. I can tell you from experience that it can rub people the wrong way when they know you're well off. I have a colleague who asked what I earned, and I told him. Even though it was less than him, he was jealous for weeks. Because, so he reasoned, when he was my age, he didn't earn that.

There's simply nothing to gain from using your real name, as far as I can see.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

What makes you think my real name is not Mountaineer? I live in an off-grid small cottage on the Eigerhorn. Even the author Trevanian wrote under a pen name for his book The Eiger Sanction.

Sincerely, Beñat Le Cagot :)
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

europeanwizard wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:56 am This forum is extremely revealing in the financial sense.
Your colleague is silly. O0 I don't think we're that revealing in dollar (or euro) amounts, are we? Seems to mostly be percentages.
Bogleheads is a different story. They had a What is Your Net Worth thread, and it included a staggering amount of people with millions of dollars. Whether or not it should be, it was pretty demoralizing to people who had a portfolio of $1200.
Mountaineer wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:46 am Even the author Trevanian wrote under a pen name for his book The Eiger Sanction.
I'd forgotten about that guy! 'Shibumi' was my first big-boy novel. O0
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels »

That's is why Facebook is popular. To show the world where you live and what you had for Dinner. ;)

Also I ran across this article if anyone is interested.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/qjdk ... estigation
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi »

I use my real name for the sole reason that it KEEPS me civil. I do not care to be embarrassed by comments I might make under another avatar in the future.

I see my name and I write comments and emails like I am talking to someone face to face. More people should do that. Actually it should be law, considering the bullying, racist, deranged, bigoted comments you see all over the place that people write down without any consideration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81FllbAcjqg
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Cortopassi wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:26 am I use my real name for the sole reason that it KEEPS me civil. I do not care to be embarrassed by comments I might make under another avatar in the future.
Interesting point. I have noticed some figures on twitter (eg reporter Steve Inskeep) will not respond to anonymous accounts. I guess anyone could slap someone else's name and face on an account, but the point is that he doesn't bother with the *obviously* anonymous accounts.

I wonder if there's an evil Cortopassi alter ego out there on the web, posting terrible things under a fictitious name. O0 (No I don't. I can't imagine you doing that under any name).
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi »

dualstow wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:47 am I wonder if there's an evil Cortopassi alter ego out there on the web, posting terrible things under a fictitious name. O0 (No I don't. I can't imagine you doing that under any name).
I appreciate that, jerk-face. :P
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

LOL!