What the heck happened to Maddy?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: What the heck happened to Maddy?

Post by Kbg »

Wow crazy how all that went down. I thought the whole exchange was reasonably tame by this place’s standards. LOL.

And agree with all, that it is good to see Maddy back and posting.

I believe, and I get firmer on this opinion with age, that most of us are way more certain about a lot of things than we should be. Most of human kind’s greatest breakthroughs are when there is a breakout from a strong dogma.

I also believe that as we age it is harder to think originally and be open to alternatives because we have quite a bit of life experience under our belts. This is good because experience does impart some wisdom from lessons hard learned, but we also have to remember what shapes us as individuals was a sample size of one.

Humility in thought is virtue.
Don
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Don »

Xan wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:10 am Okay folks, the dust has settled a bit. It seems that a post that Maddy made torqued off a moderator, and he put Maddy on the ban list. By default, the option to delete all posts is checked, and it was accidentally left that way. So the deletion of posts was unintentional, but the banning (although largely an impulse) was intentional.

Sadly, the deletion of the posts means that the situation really can't be evaluated, because we don't know what was said.

In the fallout from this, the moderator has requested to be no longer a moderator, and has also requested his account be deleted.

In this election year, I'll take this opportunity to remind everyone (really: EVERYONE) that we need to keep things from getting personal around here. Personal attacks are pretty much the one way to actually get (permanently) banned here, and election years can get especially heated. I respectfully request that none of you go after each other, even if the other guy deserves it!

* We need to de-escalate conflict rather than escalate, or this forum will tear itself apart.
* Getting personal does not help your argument, quite the opposite.
* If there is an attempt to silence your viewpoints, then that will become apparent only if you don't give them any other ammunition to use against you, like personal attacks.

Back in the day, PS would point out that in discussions like this, it really isn't likely nor should it be your goal necessarily to convert the people you're arguing with. You should be writing with the on-the-fence, third-party observer in mind. Attacks and escalations drive those observers away from your view.

Treating each other like enemies is a really good way to suck all the fun out of this place, for everyone. Your fellow members are not your enemies. Convincing them of your opinion will make no difference in your life. At least, I'm pretty sure nobody here actually holds any kind of office! So let's lower the stakes in all our heads.
This site definitely has trigger happy moderators. 1st Amendment rules!
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

Don wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:27 pm
Xan wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:10 am Okay folks, the dust has settled a bit. It seems that a post that Maddy made torqued off a moderator, and he put Maddy on the ban list. By default, the option to delete all posts is checked, and it was accidentally left that way. So the deletion of posts was unintentional, but the banning (although largely an impulse) was intentional.

Sadly, the deletion of the posts means that the situation really can't be evaluated, because we don't know what was said.

In the fallout from this, the moderator has requested to be no longer a moderator, and has also requested his account be deleted.

In this election year, I'll take this opportunity to remind everyone (really: EVERYONE) that we need to keep things from getting personal around here. Personal attacks are pretty much the one way to actually get (permanently) banned here, and election years can get especially heated. I respectfully request that none of you go after each other, even if the other guy deserves it!

* We need to de-escalate conflict rather than escalate, or this forum will tear itself apart.
* Getting personal does not help your argument, quite the opposite.
* If there is an attempt to silence your viewpoints, then that will become apparent only if you don't give them any other ammunition to use against you, like personal attacks.

Back in the day, PS would point out that in discussions like this, it really isn't likely nor should it be your goal necessarily to convert the people you're arguing with. You should be writing with the on-the-fence, third-party observer in mind. Attacks and escalations drive those observers away from your view.

Treating each other like enemies is a really good way to suck all the fun out of this place, for everyone. Your fellow members are not your enemies. Convincing them of your opinion will make no difference in your life. At least, I'm pretty sure nobody here actually holds any kind of office! So let's lower the stakes in all our heads.
Given the first sentence, should not the second sentence be: 2nd Amendment rules! ;D ;D ;D
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Mountaineer wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:25 am
Don wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:27 pm
Given the first sentence, should not the second sentence be: 2nd Amendment rules! ;D ;D ;D
POINTS AWARDED
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.