Wuhan, China Corona Virus 2020

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Wuhan, China Corona Virus 2020

Post by dualstow » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:20 pm

Yup, I guess so. Earlier I mentioned that “It would have to get massive, quickly...”

We’ve all seen too many zombie movies and films with government employees in HAZMAT suits. O0
Since this is an era when many people are concerned about ‘fairness’ and ‘social justice,’ what is your ‘fair share’ of what someone else has worked for? — Sowell
TLT HITS NEW 52-WK HIGH
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:46 am

It is important to keep in mind facts about virus deaths vs. the current media sensational commentary (let's hope the current outbreak deaths remain relatively small).

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/flu.htm 6515 influenza deaths in the US in 2017

https://heavy.com/news/2020/01/wuhan-co ... rs-deaths/ 41 fatalities so far, all in China

https://www.cdc.gov/sars/about/fs-sars.html 774 SARS deaths worldwide
"And this is the very aim of the devil, to cause a man to think his knowledge and wisdom the greater, the further he departs from the Word." - Martin Luther
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:06 am

Mountaineer, it's not like you to let a chance to mention the Book of Revelations and pale horsemen and that slide by the wayside.

Are you all right?
There are several thousand nearly complete viral genomes integrated into the human genome, most now inert or missing a crucial gene. These account for 1.3% of the entire genome. That may not sound like much, but 'proper' genes account for only 3%. If you think being descended from apes is bad for your self-esteem, then get used to the idea that you are also descended from viruses.
Ridley, Genome
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:13 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:06 am
Mountaineer, it's not like you to let a chance to mention the Book of Revelations and pale horsemen and that slide by the wayside.

Are you all right?
"

Kriegs, thanks for your concern but I thought you knew me better. :) I'm not one of those "Left Behind" series of books Christians. I just go by what Scripture says and try not to speculate about what is not said. For example, see Matthew 24 or Mark 13 (and Rev 19 - mentioned to scratch Krieg's itch ;) ). Beware, there are lots of false prophets, including the idol of self, all sponsored by SATAN* out there vying for your allegiance. No one knows when the end will come, only the Father. Best advice is to be ready at all times for the Last Day; kind of like the philosophy of the PP - be ready no matter what. The choice is yours to believe that Jesus is "THE way, THE truth, and THE life" O0 or that it's all a big scam >:D [oops, should not have alluded to impeachment theatrics in a thread about matters of eternal significance].

* https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news ... en-of-2020
"And this is the very aim of the devil, to cause a man to think his knowledge and wisdom the greater, the further he departs from the Word." - Martin Luther
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:55 am

Komal Sri-Kumar (@SriKGlobal) just addressed people talking about this in the context of being a black swan, on cnbc. He said there are always five or so black swans floating around, waiting to happen, and that if the virus didn’t exist, it would be something else. Kim Jong-eun, etc. I guess he feels that the markets were/are ready to fall.
Since this is an era when many people are concerned about ‘fairness’ and ‘social justice,’ what is your ‘fair share’ of what someone else has worked for? — Sowell
TLT HITS NEW 52-WK HIGH
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:44 pm

Possible coronavirus case at Philadelphia’s Penn Charter School, as travelers from China are urged to report any symptoms
https://www.inquirer.com/health/coronav ... 00127.html
TLT HITS NEW 52-WK HIGH
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:11 pm

We had a confirmed case here in Vancouver, BC as of yesterday. SO many Chinese people made the trip here for Chinese New Year. I'm sure there's going to be a massive flare up in the coming weeks. The really scary thing is the incubation period and the contagiousness when asymptomatic.
e + 1 = 0
Check out the Gold Smith Portfolio: https://www.gyroscopicinvesting.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9613
Remember to watch National Treasure at least once per year to maintain your forum membership.
VVL is Ben Graham in a box.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:25 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:11 pm
We had a confirmed case here in Vancouver, BC as of yesterday. SO many Chinese people made the trip here for Chinese New Year. I'm sure there's going to be a massive flare up in the coming weeks. The really scary thing is the incubation period and the contagiousness when asymptomatic.
Are you doing anything differently?
I'd probably be more reluctant to fly this season, but I have no travel plans anyway.
I plan to eat in Chinatown next week, although I don't know if my wife will join.
TLT HITS NEW 52-WK HIGH
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:02 am

Corona Virus effect on the market: 1 day.

I know it's too early to really say that, but I wonder if anything can hold people's attention for more than 24 hours anymore.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:05 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:02 am
Corona Virus effect on the market: 1 day.

I know it's too early to really say that, but I wonder if anything can hold people's attention for more than 24 hours anymore.
Ha. Not much.
Just a minute ago, though, while you were posting, cnbc announced that they're discussing travel restrictions in the White House.
TLT HITS NEW 52-WK HIGH
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:41 am

This current Wuhan coronavirus may be worse than I thought. This is a very interesting discussion on the topic. If you wish to jump straight to the main topic, it begins approximately 18 minutes in. As always, I am particularly interested in what Sophie thinks about it (if you have the time or desire to listen to the podcast, Sophie) in addition to everyone else.

"In episode ONE HUNDRED AND THIRTY Wade and Mike invite Wisconsin Lutheran College’s disease expert, Dr. James Henkel, back onto the show. This is the second time Dr. Henkel has come onto the podcast. We invite you to listen to his previous visit way back on Episode 23, entitled The Guys Get Disease (and if you haven’t listened to that episode, do yourself the favor of giving it a listen, it’s a fun one). This time the guys talk viruses and pandemics."

https://www.letthebirdfly.com/2020/01/2 ... -go-viral/
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:35 pm

Financial news headlines over the past few days:

Stock market drops: "Markets plummet on coronavirus fears"
Stock market rises: "Markets rally on hopes that coronavirus spread will subside"

::)