Simple, Healthy, Delish Recipes

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

sweetbthescrivener

Re: Simple, Healthy, Delish Recipes

Post by sweetbthescrivener »

This is a great butternut squash soup recipe which has a secret ingredient which makes this soup epic and indescribable. (The secret ingredient is tart green apples, which, it turns out, is something that butternut squash needs.)

I don't follow this recipe exactly, as I like to roast everything at the same time in the oven and then just throw it in a blender. Done. Serve with a plop of pesto on top.
Mollie Katzen’s Roasted Butternut Squash and Apple Soup

Yield: 4-5 servings

1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 med. (about 4 lbs.) butternut squash
2 Tbsp. butter
1 med. red or yellow onion, chopped
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 med. Granny Smith apples, peeled and thinly sliced
1/2 tsp. crumbled dried (or rubbed) sage
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
4 cups water
Up to 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice, as needed
Up to 1 Tbsp. brown sugar (light or dark), as needed

Adjust the oven rack to the center position and preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking tray with foil and drizzle it with the olive oil.

Use a sharp heavy knife to cut the squash in halve lengthwise. (Do this very carefully. Safest technique: Insert the point of the knife first, and use a gentle sawing motion to initiate the cutting.) Use scissors to cut loose the strands of pulp around the seeds, ad then scrape the seeds away with a spoon. Discard the seeds or reserve them to toast. Use a sturdy vegetable peeler to peel the squash halves. Then cut the flesh into 1-inch pieces, once again being careful with your knife because the squash can be both very hard and very slippery. (The shape and uniformity of the churnks do not matter since it will all get pureed.)

Arrange the squash chunks in a single layer on the prepared tray, and roast in the center of the oven for 20-30 minutes, or until the pieces are fork tender and turning brown around the edges. (Shake the tray a few times during the roasting to keep the pieces from sticking.) Removed from the oven and set aside.

While the squash is roasting, melt the butter in a soup pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. When the butter foams, swirl to coat the pan, and then add the onion and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes, or until the onion begins to soften.

Add the apple slices, along with the sage and thyme, and continue to cook, stirring occasionally. For about 10 minutes, or until the apples are very tender.

Add the roasted squash and the water to the onion-apple mixture. Turn up the heat and bring the soup to a boil, then turn the heat all the way down to the lowest possible setting. Cover, and simmer gently for 10 minutes.

Remove the pot from the heat, uncover and let it sit until the soup cools down to a comfortable pureeing temperature. Use a blender or immersion blender to puree the soup until it is smooth.

Time for the taste test: if the soup tastes good, you’re there. If it seems too sweet, add some or all of the lemon juice. If it’s tarter than you like, add brown sugar to taste.

If necessary, reheat the soup gently over medium-low heat, being careful not to let it boil. Serve hot.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Cool! Squash is the greatest.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

1 lb 80-20 beef
.5 to 1 cup rice (same volume of water, plus 25%)
.5 to 1 cup broccoli
teriyaki sauce
sriracha
s+p

I marinaded the beef overnight with some of the teriyaki (G Hughes sugar free teriyaki marinade), but I'm not sure if this is necessary. Crumble it into a pot and cover it, turn it on medium, and set the timer for 7 minutes. At 7 minutes, stir it a bit, then drain. Then add everything else. Bring it up to a boil, then simmer for 5-7 minutes. Then add some teriyaki.

It's pretty good.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Kriegsspiel wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:24 pm ...
teriyaki sauce
I love sweet meat. Anything with mirin in it.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Kriegsspiel wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:36 pm This is a good thing I've been making lately.

Put a bunch of thawed boneless/skinless chicken thighs/breasts in the crockpost with some water for like 8 or 9 hours.

Make some white rice. Bring it to a boil, then reduce it to a simmer for 5 mins. At 5 mins, stir in some BBQ sauce and sriracha. Adjust to taste, but I'll usually do something like 4 TBL BBQ and 2 TBL sriracha per cup of rice. Keep it on low heat for a few more minutes.
Replacing the BBQ and sriracha with the tikka masala sauce from ALDI is fantastic.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Indian spice blends are the best. BBQ sauce makes me break out.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Absolutely no one has a higher ratio of [(healthy cooked foods) / (time spent preparing)] than me!

As I write this I am eating my standard supper each night (in my personal times of dwindling stock...):

1) Some dry indeterminate grain of indeterminate age

2) 3 cups water

3) Microwave twice for 8 minutes with time in between

4) Add:
a) 1/3 can no salt diced tomatoes
b) sliced garlic from a jar
3) can of low sodium Goya black beans (the type of beans can vary night to night)

5) Microwave 12 minutes

After having been up since up since about 7:30 AM and having, until now, only consumed 3 dates and a quart of water since then and having cut the grass on my lawn (first time this year!) plus several hours of other outdoor work.....to a resulting somewhat hungry person this meal also tastes quite delicious!

Time to go for my third bowl of it! It actually tastes so good each time that I have to control myself to not overeat. Sometimes, though, I cannot control myself and continue eating just for taste. Like now!

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy »

vnatale wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 6:37 pm Absolutely no one has a higher ratio of [(healthy cooked foods) / (time spent preparing)] than me!
Challenge accepted.

Wake up in the morning, prepare one large pot of coffee.
Blend with 6 raw eggs, 1/2 pound of butter, 30 grams of collagen.
Drink.

Repeat, the next day.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Mark Leavy wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 7:55 pm
vnatale wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 6:37 pm Absolutely no one has a higher ratio of [(healthy cooked foods) / (time spent preparing)] than me!
Challenge accepted.

Wake up in the morning, prepare one large pot of coffee.
Blend with 6 raw eggs, 1/2 pound of butter, 30 grams of collagen.
Drink.

Repeat, the next day.
Collegen!

I had to go here to see what it even was: https://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and ... arch-shows

We need a jury here to make two votes:

1) Which do you think is the winner
2) Which would you actually consume

Generally I'd think the answer would be the same for both questions but maybe not.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

I've never understood drinking raw eggs, except in Rocky because it was cool then. And maybe they didn't know that the protein isn't absorbed as well when they're raw. What's the thought process there, Mark?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Kriegsspiel wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 6:29 am I've never understood drinking raw eggs, except in Rocky because it was cool then. And maybe they didn't know that the protein isn't absorbed as well when they're raw. What's the thought process there, Mark?
I knew some Cantonese guys who used to mix vodka with an egg and drink it. I’ve tried it but my body rejects it.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start »

chocolate milk with egg whites is an easy, tasty, budget friendly protein shake, and no weird powdered chemical flavor. Both come in a carton, just pour together and drink, no stirring required....
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

l82start wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 7:12 am chocolate milk with egg whites is an easy, tasty, budget friendly protein shake, and no weird powdered chemical flavor. Both come in a carton, just pour together and drink, no stirring required....
The last time I calculated it out, pastuerized egg whites (PEW) were NOT a budget-friendly source of protein. For instance, instead of getting chocolate milk + PEWs, you could just get a Fairlife (filtered milk) chocolate milk, which is absolutely delicious and has more protein per dollar and you don't have to mix anything.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Or, obviously, whey protein mixed in milk for even more protein/$. But I think Fairlife tastes better and has a better texture.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start »

i haven't done a dollar to protein cost comparison, unless the egg-white and chocolate milk is ridiculously more expensive, i think how good it tastes is probably worth a bit more.. not the cheapest i will concede, but its yummy for buck ratio i think budget friendly is fair...
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy »

Kriegsspiel wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 6:29 am I've never understood drinking raw eggs, except in Rocky because it was cool then. And maybe they didn't know that the protein isn't absorbed as well when they're raw. What's the thought process there, Mark?
The coffee mix is about 160F after blending, so the egg proteins are denatured and pasteurized when I drink them.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

MangoMan wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 7:36 am
Kriegsspiel wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 7:33 am
l82start wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 7:12 am chocolate milk with egg whites is an easy, tasty, budget friendly protein shake, and no weird powdered chemical flavor. Both come in a carton, just pour together and drink, no stirring required....
The last time I calculated it out, pastuerized egg whites (PEW) were NOT a budget-friendly source of protein. For instance, instead of getting chocolate milk + PEWs, you could just get a Fairlife (filtered milk) chocolate milk, which is absolutely delicious and has more protein per dollar and you don't have to mix anything.
I gotta think if cost is your main driver, Vinny's grains and beans (he uses canned as I do, but dry is even cheaper) has got to beat everything on a protein per dollar scale.

Of course, if you add in the cost of a Beano tablet, all bets are off. O0
Of course I buy those cans on sale for $1 a can. And, no need for Beano. The beans get well cooked!

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

vnatale wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 9:07 am
I gotta think if cost is your main driver, Vinny's grains and beans (he uses canned as I do, but dry is even cheaper) has got to beat everything on a protein per dollar scale.

Of course I buy those cans on sale for $1 a can. And, no need for Beano. The beans get well cooked!

Vinny
Just checked. A full can contains 28g of protein. Therefore, less than 4 cents per gram of protein.

Vinny
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne »

One advantage of working at home is that you can slow roast large cuts of meat, divide them up into containers or ziploc bags and freeze, then use them to put together quick & easy meals. The large cuts are cheaper and easier to find now, while typical small, lean meat cuts are harder to find and pricier.

I just turned a bone-in pork butt into a large amount of exceptionally delicious pulled pork. Warning, this is not for anyone who subscribes to the low-fat philosophy. I got over that quite a while ago when I went on the keto diet, started doing some reading, and discovered long-forgotten virtues of animal fat.

It takes a while but it's simple:

step 1 - brine for 24 hours
step 2 - put on a spice dry rub, then roast in a 225 degree oven until internal temperature is 200, takes 12-16 hours depending on the size.
step 3 - let it cool then break it apart with a couple of forks.

The meat is only part of the largesse. I poured off and saved the rendered fat in the roasting pan, and I used some of it to make mayonnaise. Super mega delicious, great topping for the pork, and very easy with a stick blender and a mason jar. I also got a lot of broth that separated out and jelled - ooh, free collagen. The fat layer I took off, put back in the roasting pan and baked in a 375 oven for about 30 minutes. The result is sort of bacon-like and goes great with eggs in the morning.

Warning: your oven may decide to shut itself off after 12 hours, so be on the alert for that.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

l82start wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 7:51 am i haven't done a dollar to protein cost comparison, unless the egg-white and chocolate milk is ridiculously more expensive, i think how good it tastes is probably worth a bit more.. not the cheapest i will concede, but its yummy for buck ratio i think budget friendly is fair...
I thought about it a bit more when I went for a stroll, and yea if you like the taste, who cares. Maybe I'll have to give it a shot next time I'm at an essential business. To answer MangoMan too, I don't just factor in cost. When people say something is a "good source" of protein, then I look at the cost, how hard it is to eat enough of it, and if it carries a lot of fat or carbs with it too. This mostly applies to vegans saying that nuts are a good source of protein. Or when they talk about how spinach has higher protein/calorie than beef or whatever.
Mark Leavy wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 8:47 am The coffee mix is about 160F after blending, so the egg proteins are denatured and pasteurized when I drink them.
You know, I missed the part where you blended all that together. I read it as you were blending up butter, egg whites, and collagen.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

MangoMan wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 9:33 am
vnatale wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 9:07 am

Vinny
Does cooking the canned beans longer result in less gas? I have never heard that. Link?
Maybe that is not the reason.

https://nutritionovereasy.com/2015/10/s ... rom-beans/

But maybe I AM doing #4. I used to ALWAYS to #6 for the reason cited. But have recently stopped because I'm down to so few ingredients and overall have an extremely low intake of sodium.

Vinny
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

I like making pinto beans in the crockpot, they mash up like refried beans. The article is absolutely right, though, if I haven't had them in a while I start poisoning my environment.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Kriegsspiel wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 9:58 am I like making pinto beans in the crockpot, they mash up like refried beans. The article is absolutely right, though, if I haven't had them in a while I start poisoning my environment.
Are there issues with cooking old, old, old beans? Like 15 year old beans that have been in a sealed jar all this time?

Vinny
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

I'm not sure, but that seems pretty old. I made some that were a couple years old that were just stored in a tupperware a few weeks ago, and they were somewhat tough to eat and potent to process.