Simple, Healthy, Delish Recipes

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Simple, Healthy, Delish Recipes

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sun May 17, 2020 11:08 am

Youtube comes through again with the topical recommendation, thanks for the spying. L82start, this dude said he mixes his egg whites with some Walden Farms chocolate stuff. Their calorie-free maple syrup is great, so I imagine this is superb.
Some 5500 years ago, before writing was invented to record it, the people of the city of Hamoukar, near rich copper mines, were subjected to the first known instance of urban warfare when an army from the city of Uruk attacked and fought their way through the streets, killing most everyone.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Sun May 17, 2020 11:28 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 11:08 am
Youtube comes through again with the topical recommendation, thanks for the spying. L82start, this dude said he mixes his egg whites with some Walden Farms chocolate stuff. Their calorie-free maple syrup is great, so I imagine this is superb.
it sounds pretty good, i was mixing 1/2 and 1/2 egg-white from a carton and "TruMoo After Dark Mexican Style Chocolate Milk" I haven't tried egg whites straight, but they disappear well.. i may take a swig next time i have some around, just to see...
"Ghislaine Maxwell didn't kill herself"

“The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”
Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Sun May 17, 2020 12:27 pm

Do you guys feel like you are not getting enough protein thru normal diet? Unless you are a competitive weightlifter, there is more than enough protein in a semi-healthy American diet.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Sun May 17, 2020 12:44 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 8:53 am
sophie wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 9:54 pm
Honestly guys...staying away from grocery stores? Is it really that bad?

All I can say is you have a ton of willpower, to live on rice and beans for over a month in order to not buy groceries. And no cream for coffee? Please at least tell me you have coffee?
Ha. it’s pretty bad, but I agree with you, Sophie. We all have to draw the line somewhere. Someone asked recently if we should have 5-MPH speed limits.

My wife’s going to go out anyway whether I do or not, so we take turns and go to different food vendors. It has become a real pleasure to see the city looking so clean and the air smelling so fresh. If I could just be rid of the pollen... O0

I think it would take something like an airborne face-melting ebola bug to stop me from procuring coffee and even then, I’m not sure. We’ve been ordering freeze dried. It’s not that bad, and fun to make.
I'm with you on the coffee! I use a simple drip cone...tastier coffee than any machine I've tried and a lot simpler to negotiate first thing in the morning. I also get ground coffee because I hate the sound of grinders and I'm too lazy to do that anyway. Sometimes that stuff is annoyingly bitter, but that is easily fixed: just add some crushed eggshells to the grounds.

As far as the risk of going to the grocery store...I might rethink if it's significantly worse than stuff I've done previously, like going on a multiday backpacking trip in the Sierras and getting caught on a mountaintop during a thunderstorm. There's also the issue of supporting local businesses because you want them to still exist after the lockdown ends.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sun May 17, 2020 12:53 pm

pugchief wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 12:27 pm
Do you guys feel like you are not getting enough protein
Sometimes, yea.
sophie wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 12:44 pm
dualstow wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 8:53 am
I think it would take something like an airborne face-melting ebola bug to stop me from procuring coffee and even then, I’m not sure. We’ve been ordering freeze dried. It’s not that bad, and fun to make.
I'm with you on the coffee! I use a simple drip cone...tastier coffee than any machine I've tried and a lot simpler to negotiate first thing in the morning. I also get ground coffee because I hate the sound of grinders and I'm too lazy to do that anyway. Sometimes that stuff is annoyingly bitter, but that is easily fixed: just add some crushed eggshells to the grounds.
I've just been drinking instant coffee lately, because I'm a psychopath.
Some 5500 years ago, before writing was invented to record it, the people of the city of Hamoukar, near rich copper mines, were subjected to the first known instance of urban warfare when an army from the city of Uruk attacked and fought their way through the streets, killing most everyone.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Sun May 17, 2020 1:25 pm

pugchief wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 12:27 pm
Do you guys feel like you are not getting enough protein thru normal diet? Unless you are a competitive weightlifter, there is more than enough protein in a semi-healthy American diet.
i was experimenting with adding extra around workouts..

“The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”
Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Sun May 17, 2020 4:54 pm

sophie wrote:
Sometimes that stuff is annoyingly bitter, but that is easily fixed: just add some crushed eggshells to the grounds.
Could you please elaborate? Do you save egg shell for this purpose? Do you wash them or do anything to them? How much do you add?

I was introduced to a product called Buisman's Royal Aroma coffee additive years ago. It is basically some kind of burnt sugar ground into a powder that you add a 1/4 tsp to the grounds in your Mr Coffee that reduces acidity and bitterness. It works well, but is hard to find and is somewhat expensive. If I could get the same result with egg shells I would be thrilled.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun May 17, 2020 8:45 pm

(Sophie) There's also the issue of supporting local businesses because you want them to still exist after the lockdown ends.
Absolutely. I like going to the farmers markets because it’s open air — no crowded aisles to navigate — and well organized, but also because I want these vendors to stick around after the pandemic.
—-
I’d never heard of the eggshell thing either. Fascinating.

I usually grind and brew myself, but as long as we have all this freeze-dried stuff in the house I’m being lazy.
RIP Charlie Daniels
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Sun May 17, 2020 10:51 pm

pugchief wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 4:54 pm
sophie wrote:
Sometimes that stuff is annoyingly bitter, but that is easily fixed: just add some crushed eggshells to the grounds.
Could you please elaborate? Do you save egg shell for this purpose? Do you wash them or do anything to them? How much do you add?
There are a ton of variations, everything from the shell to the whole egg. It is generally accepted to be a Swedish thing. Look up Swedish Egg Coffee

For me, John Steinbeck's account in "Travels with Charley" is the definitive story.
"I went into my house and set coffee to cooking, and remembering how Roark Bradford liked it, I doubled the dosage, two heaping tablespoons for each cup and two heaping for the pot. I cracked an egg and cupped out the yolk and dropped shells and white into the pot, for I know nothing that polishes coffee and makes it shine like that.

The air was still very cold, and a cold night was coming, so that the brew, rising from cold water to a rolling boil, gave the good smell that competes successfully with other good smells.

My guest was satisfied, and he warmed his hands against the plastic cup. “By your license, you’re a stranger here,” he said. “How do you come to know about coffee?”

'I learned on Bourbon Street from giants in the earth,' I said. 'But they would have asked the bean of darker roast, and they would have liked a little chicory for bite.'"
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Mon May 18, 2020 8:06 am

pugchief wrote:
sophie wrote:

I was introduced to a product called Buisman's Royal Aroma coffee additive years ago. It is basically some kind of burnt sugar ground into a powder that you add a 1/4 tsp to the grounds in your Mr Coffee that reduces acidity and bitterness. It works well, but is hard to find and is somewhat expensive. If I could get the same result with egg shells I would be thrilled.
It's an awesome trick. Yes, it does exactly what that additive does.

I save eggshells in a bowl, and when I've collected enough of them I put them in a 200 degree oven for 15 minutes or so to get rid of any nasties. Let cool, then put the shells into a plastic baggie and crush them up by squeezing or with a rolling pin. Put a generous pinch into your coffee grounds...you'll figure out how much after a few trial runs. The eggshells also do wonders for houseplants, or you can put them in your garden.
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Mon May 18, 2020 9:02 am

sophie wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 8:06 am
pugchief wrote:
sophie wrote:

It's an awesome trick. Yes, it does exactly what that additive does.

I save eggshells in a bowl, and when I've collected enough of them I put them in a 200 degree oven for 15 minutes or so to get rid of any nasties. Let cool, then put the shells into a plastic baggie and crush them up by squeezing or with a rolling pin. Put a generous pinch into your coffee grounds...you'll figure out how much after a few trial runs. The eggshells also do wonders for houseplants, or you can put them in your garden.
Thanks! Great tips!
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Mon May 18, 2020 9:24 am

i am curious mark, i thought you were traveling, if you are on the road how are you brewing/blending your coffee? what is your setup?