What is the opinion of invest in crypto?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

SourKing

What is the opinion of invest in crypto?

Post by SourKing » Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:33 am

I am new on this forum. I want to invest in crypto. But i want to know how can i invest also what i should to keep on my mind. I hope this community will help me to know more about crypto.

EDITOR'S NOTE: this account has been banned as a spammer/spambot. See comment from Xan below.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Re: What is the opinion of invest in crypto?

Post by Cortopassi » Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:59 am

Pretty sure you can find other forums on the web more suited than this one. I think most of us would have a negative opinion. If I am putting words in people's mouths, let me know.
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:22 am

i will trade gbtc after big drops and quickly get out on a bounce .... i think crypto is easily manipulated , not very secure and makes a poor source of payment .

imagine selling a property and getting paid in crypto only to see all your gains evaporate the next day ...or buy socks and pay with crypto and later in the day see you paid 200 bucks for a pair of socks as it went up in value . a currency needs stability so we know what things cost us at any given point in time .
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:11 pm

I'm not quite ready to pull the trigger and put significant money into cryptocurrencies, but I am more willing than many to concede that they will likely deserve a spot in our portfolios over time.

My idea is that eventually the gold/alternative currency portion of the portfolio will give some space away to the "winner" in the cryptocurrency space.
🛞 The All-Terrain Portfolio 🛞
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:49 pm

Big time negative on crypto as an investment...when the more commercial cryptos (those controlled by banks and governments) get going, lights out.

As a pure out speculative activity, sure why not. Speculators don’t care what something is so long as there is movement.
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:58 pm

Crypto is good for entertainment purposes, with a budget to match. It's like going to Vegas and setting a gambling budget... you could come out WAY ahead, or not.
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:20 pm

I agree .. I wait until a big sell off and just try to catch 2 or 3% gains in a bounce ...I don’t trade it a lot ...I. Think I traded it 2x all year and today was one of them where I sold it after just buying .. I use gbtc
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:26 pm

mathjak107 wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:20 pm
I agree .. I wait until a big sell off and just try to catch 2 or 3% gains in a bounce ...I don’t trade it a lot ...I. Think I traded it 2x all year and today was one of them where I sold it after just buying .. I use gbtc
I have an alarm get to go off if GBTC gets to $5
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:29 pm

If it falls to 8 again I will buy it for a quick bump ... I sold out of it today when it was much higher
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:37 pm

SourKing wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:33 am
I am new on this forum. I want to invest in crypto. But i want to know how can i invest also what i should to keep on my mind. I hope this community will help me to know more about crypto.
Keep in mind that you could lose all your hard-earned money. Better to invest in stocks.
If you have made up your mind and absolutely have to throw money at crypto, stick to bitcoin or ethereum and avoid everything else.
I agree with the first response- plenty of crypto-oriented forums out there. And reddit.com.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:45 pm

Folks, I'm afraid this was a spammer/spambot. It says a lot about us that such a thing can spawn a useful conversation here!

The account has been banned, but I left the post up (with a note) so that this conversation makes sense.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:48 pm

Xan wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:45 pm
Folks, I'm afraid this was a spammer/spambot. It says a lot about us that such a thing can spawn a useful conversation here!

The account has been banned, but I left the post up (with a note) so that this conversation makes sense.
Aw, I thought I was just starting to connect with SourKing. O0
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:52 pm

dualstow wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:48 pm
Xan wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:45 pm

Aw, I thought I was just starting to connect with SourKing. O0
Sorry... The giveaways were a first post which was vague about context ("this forum") and not only offtopic, but offtopic in a spammy way (crypto). I'm sure it was working towards spamming people via PMs, or a signature link, or something. The IP was out of Bangladesh. Nothing against anybody here who might be Bangladeshi, but that's a lot of odd things all in one package.
Don
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Don » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:18 pm

dualstow wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:37 pm
SourKing wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:33 am
Keep in mind that you could lose all your hard-earned money. Better to invest in stocks.
If you have made up your mind and absolutely have to throw money at crypto, stick to bitcoin or ethereum and avoid everything else.
I agree with the first response- plenty of crypto-oriented forums out there. And reddit.com.
I know someone who lost his money in bitcoin. One besides myself, I mean.
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:16 am

bitcoin is just so manipulated . i mean it plunges , then shoots up double digits , then evaporates by the days end . it is crazy ....
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:25 am

Don wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:18 pm
dualstow wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:37 pm
I know someone who lost his money in bitcoin. One besides myself, I mean.
LOL. The truth but not the whole truth.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:59 pm

I should program my own cryptocurrency backed by a basket of Permanent Portfolio assets. 8)
🛞 The All-Terrain Portfolio 🛞