Signatures

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Signatures

Post by Tortoise »

Smith1776 wrote: Been getting really into zombie apocalypse games and movies lately. Throw me some suggestions if you have any.
Lighthearted: Zombieland

Not-so-lighthearted: 28 Days Later
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

Tortoise wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:40 pm
Smith1776 wrote: Been getting really into zombie apocalypse games and movies lately. Throw me some suggestions if you have any.

Thanks! O0
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
www.allterraininvesting.com
coasting
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by coasting »

Smith1776 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 5:21 pm

Thanks! O0
Dead Set is a must see in that genre. Set in a British Big Brother house. 5 short episodes you can watch in one sitting like a movie. Gruesome and hilarious. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1285482/?r ... ad%2520set
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

coasting wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:23 pm

Thanks! O0
Dead Set is a must see in that genre. Set in a British Big Brother house. 5 short episodes you can watch in one sitting like a movie. Gruesome and hilarious. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1285482/?r ... ad%2520set
Awesome! Putting it on my list. Thanks.

What is it about the human psyche that likes zombie apocalypses so much?
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Smith1776 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:56 pm What is it about the human psyche that likes zombie apocalypses so much?
I think part of it is that it provides an enemy you’re allowed to hate, and in large quantities.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Smith1776 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:56 pm
coasting wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:23 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
Been getting really into zombie apocalypse games and movies lately. Throw me some suggestions if you have any.

Thanks! O0

Awesome! Putting it on my list. Thanks.

What is it about the human psyche that likes zombie apocalypses so much?

Though I watch a wide range of violent video I tend to shun the supernatural or horror or zombie type video. Anything, though, with Marvel characters in it are fine.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

dualstow wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:24 am
Smith1776 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:56 pm What is it about the human psyche that likes zombie apocalypses so much?
I think part of it is that it provides an enemy you’re allowed to hate, and in large quantities.
Yeah I think there's truth to that. I think another element is that people also like to assume they'd be one of the heroic survivors.
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

vnatale wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:36 am
Though I watch a wide range of violent video I tend to shun the supernatural or horror or zombie type video. Anything, though, with Marvel characters in it are fine.
I used to LOVE the Marvel franchise until the latest bunch of movies cropped up after Avengers Endgame.

The franchise seemed to have lost its soul at that point.
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Lot of wisdom in your Sun-tzu quote, Smith O0
Never underestimate how much a man with a pocket full of nearly expired Subway coupons can eat.”

- Sun Tzu, 503 BC
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

dualstow wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:59 am Lot of wisdom in your Sun-tzu quote, Smith O0
Never underestimate how much a man with a pocket full of nearly expired Subway coupons can eat.”

- Sun Tzu, 503 BC
He was truly ahead of his time, wasn't he? ;D
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

dualstow wrote: vinny was right. i officially regret buying another Mac
What was Vinny right about, and why do you officially regret buying another Mac?
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude »

^ this

"What did this do to you? Tell me. And remember, this is for posterity so be honest. How do you feel?"
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Tortoise wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:35 pm
dualstow wrote: vinny was right. i officially regret buying another Mac
What was Vinny right about, and why do you officially regret buying another Mac?
Mac wouldn't recognize the apple keyboard that worked on an older model of the same Mac. I had to use a bluetooth kbd to set up, and thank God I had one. But after a restart, it didn't. Ok, so I know what to do with every restart to get that wired keyboard recognized again.

But then the Mac was in sleep mode too long, a cardinal sin...

And then an OS update killed everything. Even the bluetooth kbd wouldn't connect.

I tried some tricks and got it working again, for now. And, I ordered a generic kbd because supposedly that helps.
But this is silly. It's an Apple keyboard for shit's sake.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Back in the Windows world ... I'm using an ancient keyboard on this computer. I always use wired since I don't see the point for wireless for certain items like mice, trackballs, keyboards.

But, in the Windows world, I've never seen a Windows keyboard, even ones from the 80s, 90s become obsolete or unuseable. Just get an adaptor to convert it to whatever the current Windows computer wants to be able to plug into it.

Get a Windows computer and all your problems will be solved!

I bought this one used over 6 1/2 years ago and still going strong. Even after all the things I make it do. Many all the same time!
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Tortoise wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:35 pm What was Vinny right about

I neglected to answer this part. (Was waiting on a late delivery of new boots that don’t fit properly).

Specifically, while Vinny is fine with smaller Apple devices, he is not a fan of the desktops.

I am, or was, a huge fan of the Mac mini, and my older model still works. It’s the monitor that died. I’m looking into buying a used monitor that’s compatible with that old model (3,1) so that I can put Fedora or something on it. You can put Fedora on an intel Mac now.

Some say it’s specifically a Mac silicon problem- this USB keyboard glitch. Others say it’s the Sonoma OS. Maybe things will get better with the next OS.

I used windows from the end of DOS through ‘08 and ‘09 and really don’t like it at all. Only tolerated it.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

dualstow wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:47 pm Mac wouldn't recognize the apple keyboard that worked on an older model of the same Mac.
[...]
I see. Yeah, I get your frustration.

As much as I appreciate Apple's overall quality of their devices and the way they (usually) interoperate seamlessly with each other within the Apple ecosystem, they do seem to have a habit of sometimes breaking preexisting functionality when they make major HW or SW updates. And of unexpectedly dropping support for certain products/models that are a bit old, but not that old.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Tortoise wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:43 pm
dualstow wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:47 pm
Mac wouldn't recognize the apple keyboard that worked on an older model of the same Mac.
[...]

As much as I appreciate Apple's overall quality of their devices and the way they (usually) interoperate seamlessly with each other within the Apple ecosystem, they do seem to have a habit of sometimes breaking preexisting functionality when they make major HW or SW updates. And of unexpectedly dropping support for certain products/models that are a bit old, but not that old.

As opposed to the Windows world where backwards compatibility seems to go on forever (in comparison).
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

dualstow wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:47 pm Mac wouldn't recognize the apple keyboard that worked on an older model of the same Mac.
[...]

Yeah, and I mean it’s not some exotic device. It’s a keyboard. If I had known, I would have stuck with the PC keyboard that I’d started with.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

dualstow wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:15 am
[...]

Yeah, and I mean it’s not some exotic device. It’s a keyboard. If I had known, I would have stuck with the PC keyboard that I’d started with.
Apple fanboy switch on: Go for the "interoperate seamlessly with each other, revel in the basking sunshine of great equipment, not needing to frequently reboot to solve Windows irritating behaviors, splurge on a new keyboard if needed (it won't bankrupt you). Sometimes the best is just the best and worth it."

Apple fanboy switch off: Hope you get your issues resolved so you can get back to enjoying life in the fast lane.

... M
Attachments
image.gif
image.gif (1004 Bytes) Viewed 36798 times
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

fast lane 😂