Too bad George Orwell isn't around to see this

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Too bad George Orwell isn't around to see this

Post by Libertarian666 »

The House Judiciary Committee released a report Saturday in which it argued that a president may be impeached for “illegitimate motives” even if his actions are “legally permissible.”

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2019 ... aking-law/
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Too bad George Orwell isn't around to see this

Post by vnatale »

Libertarian666 wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:34 am The House Judiciary Committee released a report Saturday in which it argued that a president may be impeached for “illegitimate motives” even if his actions are “legally permissible.”

All crimes are not impeachable offenses and all impeachable offenses are not crimes.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

vnatale wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:54 am
Libertarian666 wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:34 am The House Judiciary Committee released a report Saturday in which it argued that a president may be impeached for “illegitimate motives” even if his actions are “legally permissible.”

All crimes are not impeachable offenses and all impeachable offenses are not crimes.

Vinny
Perhaps so, but please name a time when someone has been removed from office via impeachment and conviction without a crime having been demonstrated.
sweetbthescrivener

Post by sweetbthescrivener »

I think Vinny was just having fun with Newspeak.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Libertarian666 wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:28 am
vnatale wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:54 am

Vinny
Perhaps so, but please name a time when someone has been removed from office via impeachment and conviction without a crime having been demonstrated.
When this is potentially only the 4th presidential one in our country's near 250 year history I'd say that is too small a sample to hold to precedents. In other words new "precedents" can be established with this one.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

sweetbthescrivener wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:26 am I think Vinny was just having fun with Newspeak.
No. It's a phrase it seems I've recently frequently heard.

Vinny
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

vnatale wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:35 pm
sweetbthescrivener wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:26 am I think Vinny was just having fun with Newspeak.

Vinny
Of course you have heard that in the Democrat party media.
Maybe you should stop watching, listening to, or reading such propaganda.
Simonjester wrote: QED "the effective use of newspeak" ;)
Pet Hog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pet Hog »

Vinny
Perhaps Vinny meant to write, "Not all crimes are impeachable offenses and not all impeachable offenses are crimes"? "All crimes are not impeachable" sounds like a politician could literally get away with murder!
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

Impeaching for something that isn't a crime would be a terrible precedent. How would a President even know whether something he's doing is impeachable or not, if he can be impeached for something that's legal?

Fortunately, I don't think it's true. Surely there has to be a crime for somebody to be impeached. Isn't "high crimes and misdemeanors" the threshold?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Pet Hog wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:06 pm

Vinny
Perhaps Vinny meant to write, "Not all crimes are impeachable offenses and not all impeachable offenses are crimes"? "All crimes are not impeachable" sounds like a politician could literally get away with murder!
You are correct. You wrote it much better than myself. However, the Founding Fathers did allow a politician to get away with murder when Aaron Burr killed Alexander Hamilton.

Burr was the vice president. Therefore, he was guilty of a crime but they did not consider it worthy of impeachment since it had no bearing on his duties as vice president.

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Xan wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:00 pm Impeaching for something that isn't a crime would be a terrible precedent. How would a President even know whether something he's doing is impeachable or not, if he can be impeached for something that's legal?

Fortunately, I don't think it's true. Surely there has to be a crime for somebody to be impeached. Isn't "high crimes and misdemeanors" the threshold?
No. "High crimes and misdemeanors" means an offense to the country, breaching the fiduciary duty to the country.

Is there any law on any local, state, federal level that says a president cannot launch an unprovoked nuclear attack on a country, e.g., Canada? I don't think so. Therefore, it'd be no "crime" to do so but would anyone NOT support impeaching a president for doing so?

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

If you want to learn more about the issues surrounding impeachment either watch this or read the author's book or do both.

I read his book last night immediately after finishing watching.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?466747-1/impeach

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

vnatale wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:25 am If you want to learn more about the issues surrounding impeachment either watch this or read the author's book or do both.

I read his book last night immediately after I finished watching it.

The author has argued 39 cases before the Supreme Court so he knows something about legalities.

Vinny
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy »

Xan wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:00 pm Impeaching for something that isn't a crime would be a terrible precedent. How would a President even know whether something he's doing is impeachable or not, if he can be impeached for something that's legal?

They can, and would, impeach him for farting out of order. Shoot, they can do anything they please, including smothering him with a pillow, as we are long past the point where the dems controlling this sham give a hoot about what's legal. At this point, the list of potential indictees has become quite long, and their kangaroo court (which from the beginning has flagrantly deviated from anything even resembling legal process) shows every sign of being a last gasp attempt to save their own skins.
sweetbthescrivener

Post by sweetbthescrivener »

Libertarian666 wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:53 pm

Vinny
Of course you have heard that in the Democrat party media.
Maybe you should stop watching, listening to, or reading such propaganda.
I stand corrected.

Meanwhile.

Look, a crazy man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DBZwpvgHMI
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

vnatale wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:26 am
vnatale wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:25 am If you want to learn more about the issues surrounding impeachment either watch this or read the author's book or do both.

I read his book last night immediately after I finished watching it.

The author has argued 39 cases before the Supreme Court so he knows something about legalities.

Vinny
How many impeachment cases has he argued?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Libertarian666 wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:59 pm

Vinny
Alan Dershowitz has a pretty good handle on what the Framers meant to do with impeachment:
https://www.amazon.com/Case-Against-Imp ... 151074228X
Except it was written and came out BEFORE the infamous July 25th phone call!

Vinny
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude »

Are you suggesting Republicans are more ethical?
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy »

Libertarian666 wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:25 pm
vnatale wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:14 pm
Libertarian666 wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:59 pm

Vinny
Alan Dershowitz has a pretty good handle on what the Framers meant to do with impeachment:
https://www.amazon.com/Case-Against-Imp ... 151074228X
Except it was written and came out BEFORE the infamous July 25th phone call!

Vinny
Have you read the transcript of that call? I have, and there is absolutely nothing there that could possibly be a legitimate cause of impeachment.

But it's obvious that there is no reaching you. So my last comment on this topic here is that people who have been brainwashed by propaganda will be very unhappy when Trump is re-elected in a landslide and the Republicans win back the House.

That is going to happen because the American people who voted for Trump, and many other Americans who haven't succumbed to the brainwashing, are tired of the ceaseless attacks on the Republic by the Democrat party, the Democrat party press, and the Deep State.
It's a waste of your good mind to argue with a non-analysis.