Do you buy land and houses/apartments or pavillions to rent ?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

frugal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Do you buy land and houses/apartments or pavillions to rent ?

Post by frugal » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:18 am

Hello PP friends!

Do you prefer to keep all your savings in PP or you also diversify ?

I wonder if we should buy LAND, or apartments to rent or pavillions to rent to factories ...

Please advise.

Thank so much.

:)
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Do you buy land and houses/apartments or pavillions to rent ?

Post by Hal » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:56 am

You may wish to research Marc Fabers asset allocation.

https://mebfaber.com/2015/06/01/chapter ... portfolio/

It's been a while since I have listened to him, however a few years back he was purchasing land in SE Asia. He doesn't use REITS, so rebalancing may be an issue for small portfolios.

<edit>
comparison with PP and other portfolios here

https://mebfaber.com/2015/06/05/chapter ... trategies/
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:24 am

I bought, rehabbed, and sold a house a few years ago. I was recently on the hunt for a house that I could do a live-in flip with, but ended up buying my current house after the previous owner had done the work, but sold it to me under the market. So I could move out and rent it for fairly big monthly cashflow.

Anyways, yes I do plan on making real estate a small business for myself. I'm not yet set on renting or rehabbing, or a combination of the two. I think my first experience with tenants might sway me one way or another ;D I live in an area where buying a commercial or agricultural property could be in the cards too.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:42 am

we owned lots of investment real estate in manhattan ... we sold it all off over the years . we want no more investment real estate in retirement or dealing with tenants .

i want only liquid investments with no dealings with tenants now that can be swapped , sold or rebalanced with the click of a mouse .

real estate for us was actually a business even though we had a mgmt company running things for our LLC. i don't want a business in retirement .
frugal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by frugal » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:34 am

Hal wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:56 am
You may wish to research Marc Fabers asset allocation.

https://mebfaber.com/2015/06/01/chapter ... portfolio/

It's been a while since I have listened to him, however a few years back he was purchasing land in SE Asia. He doesn't use REITS, so rebalancing may be an issue for small portfolios.

<edit>
comparison with PP and other portfolios here

https://mebfaber.com/2015/06/05/chapter ... trategies/
Hi,

I live in Europe and all the savings in ETF's is not smart maybe...

thanks!
frugal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by frugal » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:37 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:24 am
I bought, rehabbed, and sold a house a few years ago. I was recently on the hunt for a house that I could do a live-in flip with, but ended up buying my current house after the previous owner had done the work, but sold it to me under the market. So I could move out and rent it for fairly big monthly cashflow.

Anyways, yes I do plan on making real estate a small business for myself. I'm not yet set on renting or rehabbing, or a combination of the two. I think my first experience with tenants might sway me one way or another ;D I live in an area where buying a commercial or agricultural property could be in the cards too.
tenants might be an headache

I believe so

:-[
frugal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by frugal » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:38 am

mathjak107 wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:42 am
we owned lots of investment real estate in manhattan ... we sold it all off over the years . we want no more investment real estate in retirement or dealing with tenants .

i want only liquid investments with no dealings with tenants now that can be swapped , sold or rebalanced with the click of a mouse .

real estate for us was actually a business even though we had a mgmt company running things for our LLC. i don't want a business in retirement .
Hi

what do you want to pass to your family ? PP or real state?

Keep all in $ and give it to your childs might not be good...

:-\
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:47 pm

My neighbor uses a management company after a few problems with tenants.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:49 pm

frugal wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:38 am
mathjak107 wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:42 am

Hi

what do you want to pass to your family ? PP or real state?

Keep all in $ and give it to your childs might not be good...

:-\

All our kids are grown so whatever investments are left will go to them and they can do as they like , but we are done with real estate as an investment....we had enough of playing landlord .....
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:28 pm

Id rather be all in PP but got pushed into real estate by the hype in 05

With Real estate you can put in time, sweat equity, and boost your return. Plus the leverage. If the true inflation rate is 5%, a 4% mortgage is free money.

But you're making a concentrated bet on the demographic future of the city. And you need to know your personality, if a tenant goes broke they can seize your property for a year and its a terrible feeling. Found out I'm too neurotic for that.
frugal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by frugal » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:28 am

boglerdude wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:28 pm
Id rather be all in PP but got pushed into real estate by the hype in 05

With Real estate you can put in time, sweat equity, and boost your return. Plus the leverage. If the true inflation rate is 5%, a 4% mortgage is free money.

But you're making a concentrated bet on the demographic future of the city. And you need to know your personality, if a tenant goes broke they can seize your property for a year and its a terrible feeling. Found out I'm too neurotic for that.
Hi.

What about 60 % PP and 40% real state or 70-30.

???
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:42 am

Why bother with more complexity. PP is good enough. Unless you want the part-time job of finding, managing, and improving houses.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:27 am

boglerdude wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:42 am
Why bother with more complexity. PP is good enough. Unless you want the part-time job of finding, managing, and improving houses.
+1 If you’re into it, frugal, it can obviously be very lucrative. I’m not handy, so I own REITs.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:47 am

boglerdude wrote:
Isn't a REIT good enough exposure? SCHH, VNQ?
frugal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by frugal » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:01 pm

dualstow wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:27 am
boglerdude wrote:
+1 If you’re into it, frugal, it can obviously be very lucrative. I’m not handy, so I own REITs.
😎
frugal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by frugal » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:02 pm

boglerdude wrote:
:) :D ;D
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:08 pm

ochotona wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:47 am
boglerdude wrote:
Isn't a REIT good enough exposure? SCHH, VNQ?
Reits are still stocks ..they are not the same as owning brick and mortar yourself ...
We owned 9 co-op apartments overlooking Central Park in the prestigious 200 Central Park south building ...we also owned a 10% stake in the commercial lease rights in partners with Bernie spitzer , one of the country’s real estate moguls ....

Those lease rights sold for 18 million dollars in 2014 in one of nyc ‘s biggest lease right sales .

The 9 apartments were bought as a package because they had rent stabilized tenants in them who were there when the building went coop in the 1980’s but did not buy ..now they were at break even rents .

So we offered 100k to any tenant who left and 7 out of 9 took the money and we sold the apartments for 7 figures ...the last two went in sept to an investor group but we sold them for cents on the dollar to just get rid of them.

You can never do this stuff buying a reit
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:12 pm

I can't imagine why you're daytrading unless it's for the thrill. ("$200 for a mouse click" in that thread this afternoon).
You must be beyond set for life.
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:25 pm

dualstow wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:12 pm
I can't imagine why you're daytrading unless it's for the thrill. ("$200 for a mouse click" in that thread this afternoon).
I love just taking some down time and having fun trading .. all these 200 buck hits pretty much cover all the spending we do all week when we are out and about and eat here , or bring home stuff from there ....so aside from being fun doing it a few times a week , it gives us money we can just use for all the extra stuff we really shouldn’t buy but enjoy buying and eating .

It is like you know when someone says you want something to eat and you go no I’ll just pick ...like it doesn’t count as far as calories...so all the stuff we do like visit the gourmet Italian deli or the stores in little Italy and drop quite a few bucks doesn’t count as spending when we use the trading money .its a mental thing ha ha

In may we took a ride to b&h photo with the trading money and bought new cameras ..since my wife is a photographer too we need two of everything so we ended up dropping 6k on new cameras .....it really is fun money I guess ...

It is stuff we likely would not spend on what we do as easily when it comes from the money we live on
frugal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by frugal » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:11 am

dualstow wrote:
Hi.

Yes MJ, if you have millions the PP also give you the free money or not?

Daytrading is profitable for you?

Regards
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:47 am

frugal wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:11 am
dualstow wrote:
Hi.

Regards
yes day trading for decades has been very profitable for me .

as far as the pp goes , that cash is sacred in the pp as i said many times before .

it is not used as spending cash as it is a very important component that is designed in to the portfolio .. being retired our spending needs are quite a bit that we draw so it would just unbalance the pp .

by itself the pp does not generate enough as an average return to give us that " free cash " we do our fun spending with. the weight of cash and gold over most years takes it's toll from a gain standpoint .

the pp is used in conjunction with a more aggressive growth portfolio and the two together is the core of our retirement portfolio .

so the fun trading generates a relatively high return but it is speculative and short term and never something i count on as far as living off it just because it is strictly by the seat of my pants . i don't always get to do it as well .so in it's own right it is fun and generates the fun money but nothing i would count on to live on .
frugal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by frugal » Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:11 pm

mathjak107 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:47 am
frugal wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:11 am
dualstow wrote:
Hi.

Regards
yes day trading for decades has been very profitable for me .

as far as the pp goes , that cash is sacred in the pp as i said many times before .

it is not used as spending cash as it is a very important component that is designed in to the portfolio .. being retired our spending needs are quite a bit that we draw so it would just unbalance the pp .

by itself the pp does not generate enough as an average return to give us that " free cash " we do our fun spending with. the weight of cash and gold over most years takes it's toll from a gain standpoint .

the pp is used in conjunction with a more aggressive growth portfolio and the two together is the core of our retirement portfolio .

so the fun trading generates a relatively high return but it is speculative and short term and never something i count on as far as living off it just because it is strictly by the seat of my pants . i don't always get to do it as well .so in it's own right it is fun and generates the fun money but nothing i would count on to live on .
Hello

How do you daytrade? With a system?

By the chart?

Regards
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:23 pm

i have a proprietary system .... the seat of my pants ...

maybe i should just make something up that sounds better ha ha ha

i just know that TLT and GLD are fair weather friends ... they run up 1 or 2% and then in a flash they fall back 1 or 2% erasing the gain . i just capitalize on those moves ..