Amazon medical transcriptions

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Amazon medical transcriptions

Post by Xan »

This sounds like a complete disaster for privacy, but it's an interesting idea. WiseOne (or Adam... Any other MDs?), it seems like automatic transcription of conversations would free up a lot of time you spend writing up notes. How big a deal could this be?

https://www.engadget.com/2019/12/02/ama ... al-ai-aws/
sweetbthescrivener

Re: Amazon medical transcriptions

Post by sweetbthescrivener »

So, I'm working on a book, and for the first time, I am dictating it to my phone and transcribing it, and was recently pretty bummed about how long it was going to take, until I figured out how to get Google Docs to convert a voice file to a document.

Mostly it works really well, and the assumption here is that Google is state of the art in these things, and it just writes down what I am saying like magic, and I just have to clean up things here and there after it gets done.

Sometimes though, it gets it really really wrong. Like one time it interpreted the spoken word "authoritarian," as "Ethiopian pastry."

I am still in the new stages, and I am noticing something else but will have to use this for a while to see if I am noticing something real or it is just paranoia.

Google voice to text seems to suddenly become senile when it is translating something that runs counter to the politics of Google. Only a few instances so far, but I wouldn't be surprised if something like this was going on.

Maybe today I will try to transcribe a test file and use the term "Caucasian ethnostate" to see if it gets translated as "HATESTATE!!!!!" Or see if the name Trump becomes literally Hitler.

There is so much room for funny business with a service like this, and when you factor in the medical bureaucracy and all the money at stake, it wouldn't surprise me if there was something beyond straight transcription going on here.

Leaving musings like this aside, just on a tech level, it would be a shame to have the doctor tell you you have "spinal meningitis", and a transcript saying you have "fine almighty Jesus."

I would sit this one out and wait for tech advances, and maybe eventually I will be able to get an Amazon drone come to my house and just perform the surgery itself as an Amazon Prime benefit.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi »

Even since I saw Commander Adama in the late 70s with his green CRT transcribing words to text, I have loved voice recognition.

Alexa gets queries nearly 100% correct. I set calendar entries with it all the time.

Texting by voice is pretty interesting at times when you watch it type out the words you've said wrong, but then it somehow goes back and looks at the context and fixes the sentence right before your eyes.

It is pretty amazing. Once it is really integrated, I think it will be a great help to seniors especially (maybe...) Teaching my mother and in-law email, esp. when the app changes is very problematic. It would be ideal for everything to be done by voice, on the main TV, and make it very natural.

--Google, I'd like to send an email to Carol. //TV automatically switches screens to an email app
**What would you like it to say?
--Hi, honey, just wanted to let you know Dad is doing fine after his doctor visit. Love, Mom //App nicely paragraphs/spaces/punctuates automatically.
--Ooh, Google, can I add "Please come over soon" to the last sentence? //Google does it
--Please send the mail and go back to my show.

(Alternatives: Google call Carol. Google text Carol, Google video call Carol, etc.)
------------

--Google, search for pizza near me. //Map and ratings come up on TV automatically.
--Place an order for a large cheese and sausage pan at Lou Malnati's for delivery.
**Ok, $24.94 will be charged to your Visa. Do you want me to place the order?
--Yes.

------------

Sure, there are privacy concerns, but the benefits are great.
drumminj
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by drumminj »

Cortopassi wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:35 pm --Place an order for a large cheese and sausage pan at Lou Malnati's for delivery.
Had to throw your tasty Chicago-style deep-dish pizza in our faces, eh? ;)
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne »

Xan wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:11 am This sounds like a complete disaster for privacy, but it's an interesting idea. WiseOne (or Adam... Any other MDs?), it seems like automatic transcription of conversations would free up a lot of time you spend writing up notes. How big a deal could this be?

https://www.engadget.com/2019/12/02/ama ... al-ai-aws/
Voice transcription is not new, but doing it as a cloud service definitely raises privacy issues. Technically, there's already a system in place for Amazon and a medical entity to set up a contract that allows them to share protected health information. I personally wouldn't be any less comfortable with this than I am with the random software shop in India that had full access to the personal information of several thousand patients under one such agreement that I happen to know about (and I sincerely doubt that's the only such example). However, it's bound to raise some hackles, and a third HIPAA update that is guaranteed to further screw up the health care system and make physicians' lives even more unmanageable, is all too likely to happen.

Also, has anyone at Amazon read an EHR visit record? There's not a whole lot of English text in them. It's all checkboxes and ICD10 codes. If physicians/staff need to communicate about a patient, the EHR is not the way to do it. They weren't designed for that.
jhogue
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jhogue »

Happy Birthday, Pugchief!

How many is that in pug-years?

Sorry I can't be there to help you celebrate. How about if I just send you an I-bond as a gift instead?
“Groucho Marx wrote:
A stock trader asked him, "Groucho, where do you put all your money?" Groucho was said to have replied, "In Treasury bonds", and the trader said, "You can't make much money on those." Groucho said, "You can if you have enough of them!"
drumminj
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by drumminj »

MangoMan wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:13 pm I'm turning 60 in Feb and throwing myself a party at Lou's. The room is already reserved. Whoever wants to fly in is invited.
I'm due a trip back to the windy city (grew up there -- family is still there), but who wants to visit Chicago in February?

I gave up on going home over the holidays a long time ago -- visit in early April or October usually to avoid the miserable winters and muggy summers.

Love going back though -- gotta gorge on the Italian beef, some Portillo's hot dots, and good deep dish (usually Giordano's just outside O'hare while we wait for traffic to die down after we land)
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

MangoMan wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:13 pm
drumminj wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:17 pm
Cortopassi wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:35 pm --Place an order for a large cheese and sausage pan at Lou Malnati's for delivery.
Had to throw your tasty Chicago-style deep-dish pizza in our faces, eh? ;)
I'm turning 60 in Feb and throwing myself a party at Lou's. The room is already reserved. Whoever wants to fly in is invited.
MangoMan is a good bro.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.