Post by Libertarian666 »

"Space travel barrier removed as docs freeze and revive human for first time"
https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest ... s-20920177
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: One-way time travel coming soon

Post by Ad Orientem »

Can someone give me a synopsis? The linked website is so jammed with pop up adds and other issues that it crashed Firefox and slowed internet explorer to a crawl. Sorry but I have no patience for those kinds of websites. My general rule of thumb is the sixty second rule. If I can't get a website to function fairly normally in the first minute, then whatever they are offering is presumed not worth my time.
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude »

False claim they got cryogenics to work

https://www.reddit.com/r/space/comments ... reeze_and/

I still need to get around to setting this up
https://alcor.org/BecomeMember/scheduleA.html
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem »

I see. As I detest the modern world (with a few exceptions), I have no interest in seeing the future. On the other hand if somebody figures out a way in the other direction, I'd seriously consider it.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

There are a couple interesting takes on hibernation in sci-fi:
A new technology can transform society, but when the technology is in its infancy, very few people can see its full potential. For example, when the computer was first invented, it was merely a tool for increasing efficiency, and some thought five computers would be enough for the entire world. Artificial hibernation was the same. Before it was a reality, people just thought it would provide an opportunity for patients with terminal illnesses to seek a cure in the future. If they thought further, it would appear to be useful for interstellar voyages. But as soon as it became real, if one examined it through the lens of technology, one could see that it would completely change the face of human civilization.

All this was based on a single idea: Tomorrow will be better.

This was a relatively new faith, a product of the last few centuries before the Crisis. Previously, such an idea of progress would have been laughable. Medieval Europe was materially impoverished compared to the Classical Rome of a thousand years earlier, and was more intellectually repressed. In China, the lives of the people were worse during the Wei, Jin, and Southern and Northern Dynasties compared to the earlier Han Dynasty, and the Yuan and Ming Dynasties were much worse than the earlier Tang and Song Dynasties. But after the Industrial Revolution, progress became a constant feature of society and humanity's faith in the future grew stronger.

. . . The Cold War had been over for some time, and though problems such as environmental degradation persisted, they were merely unpleasant. The material comforts of life improved at a rapid pace, and the trend seemed to accelerate. If one surveyed people about visions of the future, they might give different answers for how things would be in ten years, but few would doubt that in another hundred years humanity would be living in paradise. It was easy to believe such a thing. They could just compare their own lives with the lives of their ancestors a hundred years earlier!

If hibernation were possible, why would you linger in the present?

. . . Once the technology was successfully commercialized, those who could afford it would use it to skip to paradise, while the rest of humanity would have to stay behind in the comparatively depressing present to construct that paradise for them. But even more worrisome was the greatest lure provided by the future: the end of death.
- Cixin, Death's End
Or the (incredibly prescient) take in Forever War, where the books start out in a future with already-weird sexual mores when the book was written, but get even weirder to where the main characters who are travelling forward through time just get more depressed every time they jump forward. Or even something like Idiocracy, where it's kind of like A Connecticut Yankee In King Arthur's Court, but in reverse.

AFAICT everyone consistently believes that technology will keep advancing, the split is whether civilization improves or worsens. It'll definitely be a roll of the dice to skip forward into the future. If you have some kind of terminal illness and you can afford it, it seems worth it, but for everyone else, I'm not sure it's a no-brainer.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem »

MangoMan wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:49 am
Ad Orientem wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:04 am I see. As I detest the modern world (with a few exceptions), I have no interest in seeing the future. On the other hand if somebody figures out a way in the other direction, I'd seriously consider it.
I wonder if all the people who died of horrible diseases that are now curable, war, or starvation 'back then' would feel similarly?
Among the few things for which I give a polite nod to modernity are modern health and dentistry and the generally accepted custom of regular bathing. But as to the question, I have pondered it before. How would someone react if they were snatched from the 19th century and transported for a month long vacation in the year 2019? My gut says that after the shock and awe of our modern technology wore off, they would conclude that morally, society had regressed to a state of heathen savagery and that we had sold our souls for a bunch of flashy things.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

Ad Orientem wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:40 am
Ad Orientem wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:04 am I see. As I detest the modern world (with a few exceptions), I have no interest in seeing the future. On the other hand if somebody figures out a way in the other direction, I'd seriously consider it.
I wonder if all the people who died of horrible diseases that are now curable, war, or starvation 'back then' would feel similarly?
Among the few things for which I give a polite nod to modernity are modern health and dentistry and the generally accepted custom of regular bathing. But as to the question, I have pondered it before. How would someone react if they were snatched from the 19th century and transported for a month long vacation in the year 2019? My gut says that after the shock and awe of our modern technology wore off, they would conclude that morally society had regressed to a state of heathen savagery and that we had sold our souls for a bunch of flashy things.
I am very confident in the eternal state of my soul (and body), and not so much confidence in the progress mankind's fascination and lack of self-control of flashy things which not only have the potential for temporal comfort but also for temporal destruction of most of us. Greed and quest for power are built in to our DNA.

DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy »

Several articles in the last few weeks have quoted various Big Tech players as saying that they're fast achieving man's destiny to become like God. Hmmm--Where have I heard that before?
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem »

All this reminds me of something I haven't experienced in ages, probably decades. A good old fashioned fire and a brimstone sermon. I think it is a dying art form that is all but extinct. But way back in the land of long ago, I can remember a few that about set the building on fire. IMO it was always a peculiarly Protestant art. Catholics and Orthodox never held a candle to the likes of Billy Sunday or the late Ian Paisely. I listened to one of the latter's sermons on youtube and I was sweating in my living room with the A/C on full.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg »

Ad Orientem wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:40 am
Among the few things for which I give a polite nod to modernity are modern health and dentistry and the generally accepted custom of regular bathing. But as to the question, I have pondered it before. How would someone react if they were snatched from the 19th century and transported for a month long vacation in the year 2019? My gut says that after the shock and awe of our modern technology wore off, they would conclude that morally, society had regressed to a state of heathen savagery and that we had sold our souls for a bunch of flashy things.
Apparently you aren’t widely read on life in the 19th century...humans have been pretty consistent in their behavior over the millennia. Objectively, by most any measure, today is a wonderful time to be alive...even ethically.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy »

I'm kind of hoping that the would-be technocrats of the world will embrace the opportunity to take a one-way trip.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Ad Orientem wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:13 pm All this reminds me of something I haven't experienced in ages, probably decades. A good old fashioned fire and a brimstone sermon. I think it is a dying art form that is all but extinct. But way back in the land of long ago, I can remember a few that about set the building on fire. IMO it was always a peculiarly Protestant art. Catholics and Orthodox never held a candle to the likes of Billy Sunday or the late Ian Paisely. I listened to one of the latter's sermons on youtube and I was sweating in my living room with the A/C on full.
I'm not sure I'd ever previously heard of him.

I assume that these....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlBLRm5 ... z1CVO4HQN-

…..might be representative of what you listened to?

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem »

vnatale wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:22 pm
Ad Orientem wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:13 pm All this reminds me of something I haven't experienced in ages, probably decades. A good old fashioned fire and a brimstone sermon. I think it is a dying art form that is all but extinct. But way back in the land of long ago, I can remember a few that about set the building on fire. IMO it was always a peculiarly Protestant art. Catholics and Orthodox never held a candle to the likes of Billy Sunday or the late Ian Paisely. I listened to one of the latter's sermons on youtube and I was sweating in my living room with the A/C on full.

Vinny
That would be him. Paisely was a very controversial figure but I doubt anyone fell asleep during one of his sermons.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Ad Orientem wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:04 pm
vnatale wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:22 pm

Vinny
That would be him. Paisely was a very controversial figure but I doubt anyone fell asleep during one of his sermons.
I'm on the second one right now.

My analysis of him is that he is not the teaching preacher. Few Bible references in his sermons to back up what he says. Also, seems to be the less organized, more emotional type preacher, relying upon a lot of anecdotes.

Finally, after I got over him speaking different than American English and actually understanding what he is saying, I find his constant shouting quite offputting.

I always say that you should only raise your voice to children and animals as they respond to tone. If it is an adult-to-adult situation then I prefer a calm, rational speaker.

His never ending raising of his voice reminds me of the inferior guitarists who run all around the stage in their too often successful attempts to catch their audiences approval by their motions rather than their actual musicianship.

In other words, if what is was saying was in itself so powerful it would be powerful just through the power of its ideas.

Instead, it seems he is demonstrating that his words alone are not convincing. Therefore he needs to add this constant shouting in an attempt to cover up the lack of power of his actual words.

My analysis may all be wrong but I'm not listening beyond this sermon as the shouting is just too distracting. It's like reading a book which interspersed throughout is about half the words written in capital letters.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."