H&R Block Tax Software now available

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

H&R Block Tax Software now available

Post by vnatale » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:01 pm

For those of you interested in H&R Block Tax Software the 2019 version has been available on Amazon since November 11, 2019. Including one state the cost is $35.

Anyone have a better price elsewhere?

https://smile.amazon.com/Block-Software ... l_huc_item

Vinny
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: H&R Block Tax Software now available

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:05 pm

There are several thousand nearly complete viral genomes integrated into the human genome, most now inert or missing a crucial gene. These account for 1.3% of the entire genome. That may not sound like much, but 'proper' genes account for only 3%. If you think being descended from apes is bad for your self-esteem, then get used to the idea that you are also descended from viruses.
Ridley, Genome
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:41 pm

The TurboTax Free File Program offers free online tax preparation and electronic filing to hard-working Americans and their families who meet annual eligibility requirements, which are announced at the beginning of each tax season.

Income below $66,000
Free File Software

Neither one is for EVERYONE regardless of income.

And, my question was asking if anyone had seen the H&R Block software available at a lower price than Amazon's current $35 price. It seems like I may have paid $32 for the 2018 version.

Vinny
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:07 am

It matters which version of the software you're looking at. This is the Deluxe. Does this handle schedule C and capital gains/losses? Looks like I need Premium for that, which comes at a price that's roughly similar to Turbotax with the Fidelity discount.

Also does H&R block automatically import 1099's from banks and brokerages? That's seriously worth the extra cost of Turbotax for me.
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:50 am

sophie wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:07 am
It matters which version of the software you're looking at. This is the Deluxe. Does this handle schedule C and capital gains/losses? Looks like I need Premium for that, which comes at a price that's roughly similar to Turbotax with the Fidelity discount.

Also does H&R block automatically import 1099's from banks and brokerages? That's seriously worth the extra cost of Turbotax for me.
The Deluxe version of HR Block is way more comprehensive than TurboTax Deluxe. It has always included Sched C, D, E in past years, so unless this has changed....

I'm pretty sure you can import as well, but not certain.

@Vinny: I have used HR Block Deluxe for years, and have never paid more than around $20, but I don't use the State version, so it's less expensive. But there will certainly be sales between now and Feb 28.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:52 am

I've been using this successfully for ~4 years:

https://www.freetaxusa.com/
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:20 am

FWIW TurboTax Premier plus 1 State available now at Costco via download - $70.
"And this is the very aim of the devil, to cause a man to think his knowledge and wisdom the greater, the further he departs from the Word." - Martin Luther
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:48 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:52 am

This looks really good. Do you know if it will import prior year's data file form HR Block?
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:13 pm

When I first started using it, I did import TurboTax. Don't know about HR Block.

Looks like it can read fields from PDFs:

Why should I import my tax information from last year?
If you filed last year's taxes using TurboTax(R), TaxAct(R), or H&R Block(R) tax software, you can upload a PDF to make entering your information into FREETAXUSA easier. Importing will save you time by uploading things like your name, address, income sources, and deduction/credit information.
InsuranceGuy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by InsuranceGuy » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:11 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:52 am

Same here
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:29 pm

sophie wrote:

I every year do a Schedule C so yes to that. When I have had capital gains & losses (I've been a BIG-TIME buy and holder) it has handled those.

I have never tried to import 1099's. I think I only have less than 10 and they are all the same ones each year so not a big deal for to just enter in this year's amounts.

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:32 pm

pugchief wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:50 am
sophie wrote:

The Deluxe version of HR Block is way more comprehensive than TurboTax Deluxe. It has always included Sched C, D, E in past years, so unless this has changed....

I'm pretty sure you can import as well, but not certain.

@Vinny: I have used HR Block Deluxe for years, and have never paid more than around $20, but I don't use the State version, so it's less expensive. But there will certainly be sales between now and Feb 28.
As soon as I have the time to work on my 2019 tax planning I want to have it. Therefore, I'm perfectly content to pay the $35 (but even MORE content to pay less at the time of purchase).

The state version does not generally come available until at least January or at least later. Turbo Tax users. Is this the same for Turbo Tax?

And, Illinois has no state income tax? If so, then I assume you must have a state sales tax of at least 8%? Are professional services like yours taxed?

Vinny