Budget Deficits

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Budget Deficits

Post by boglerdude » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:37 am

China has a billion people so by definition they have many more smart ambitious people. But its not zero-sum, if china starts making great new technology, everyone wins. But if America makes it difficult for ambitious foreigners to immigrate, then relative quality of life will decline. I suspect this is why the US has outperformed market expectations the last 100 years. Its not part of the common narrative, how devastating ambition drain is to a country. Many we dont like to admit that its only a handful of people who innovate. The rest of us want a paycheck and to cut out of work early.

> Having Trump, that buffoon as President, right after Obama

Trump's president because the "deep state" got so complacent that they didn't realize everyone dislikes Hillary. I dont understand why they couldnt find a charismatic actor to install into the presidency.
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:42 am

boglerdude wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:37 am
China has a billion people so by definition they have many more smart ambitious people. But its not zero-sum, if china starts making great new technology, everyone wins. But if America makes it difficult for ambitious foreigners to immigrate, then relative quality of life will decline. I suspect this is why the US has outperformed market expectations the last 100 years. Its not part of the common narrative, how devastating ambition drain is to a country. Many we dont like to admit that its only a handful of people who innovate. The rest of us want a paycheck and to cut out of work early.

> Having Trump, that buffoon as President, right after Obama

Trump's president because the "deep state" got so complacent that they didn't realize everyone dislikes Hillary. I dont understand why they couldnt find a charismatic actor to install into the presidency.
It almost sounds like you are saying smart Americans will want to emigrate to China in the future bc that will be the 'place to be'. Ha, they may have lots of smart, hard working individuals there, but I don't see anyone clamoring to get in, and that's not going to change any time soon.

The US is not, nor ever has, tried to keep ambitious foreigners from immigrating here. We absolutely want as many as are willing to come. What we should not want is endless people who just burden the taxpayers to support them.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:30 am

There are a minority of Chinese and Indian immigrants who go back to their countries of origin to live. It's cultural fit, cost of living... If you have 6 or 7 figures amassed in Dollars you can live really like a king. Not pollution though!
drumminj
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by drumminj » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:49 am

ochotona wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:30 am
There are a minority of Chinese and Indian immigrants who go back to their countries of origin to live. It's cultural fit, cost of living...
I know of a couple of folks at my work who did this recently...
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:23 pm

I like Trump because he's taking on the people that need to be taken on. And trying to help those who have suffered from the self dealing of the US elite ruling class.

But I can't disagree with the points in this thread. Obama had a tough economy and Trump is on the other side of it. Nevertheless, they have each affected the results too. The deficits matter. Or, they will at some point. Nobody gets elected on cutting spending, so the incentives are there to run ever-bigger deficits.
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:28 pm

I Shrugged wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:23 pm
I like Trump because he's taking on the people that need to be taken on. And trying to help those who have suffered from the self dealing of the US elite ruling class.

But I can't disagree with the points in this thread. Obama had a tough economy and Trump is on the other side of it. Nevertheless, they have each affected the results too. The deficits matter. Or, they will at some point. Nobody gets elected on cutting spending, so the incentives are there to run ever-bigger deficits.
Right. Too bad the Founders allowed the feds to borrow on the faith and credit of the government.