Pets?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Pets?

Post by vnatale »

I have noticed that not a few people have used some form of cat as their avatar.

What is your hierarchy of pets and which presently live with you?

Mine is:

1) Cats (I pled guilty when someone accused me of worshipping cats). Have 3
2) Dogs (Had at least one from 1982 to 2005. Finally realized that my lifestyle is much more compatible with the much lower maintenance cats and rodents). Have 0
3) Rodents. Have 10 gerbils, 6 rats. (plus, one gerbil in my office)

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Pets?

Post by dualstow »

One cat. She is all the pet my wife and I need. She visited her siblings recently for a reunion and didn't like them very much. I think she enjoys being the only cat in the house.

I love this cat and I would kill for her and hide the bodies if she so commanded.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

dualstow wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:11 pmI love this cat and I would kill for her and hide the bodies if she so commanded.
I think that's a major symptom of toxoplasmosis. I do not recommend keeping cats in your living quarters.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Xan wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:41 pm
dualstow wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:11 pmI love this cat and I would kill for her and hide the bodies if she so commanded.
I think that's a major symptom of toxoplasmosis. I do not recommend keeping cats in your living quarters.
I did read that a high percentage of the human population has it. But for many who have it there are no ill effects. I think at this point that I may be immune to it.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

vnatale wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:47 pmI think at this point that I may be immune to it.
That's another common symptom.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

MangoMan wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:59 pm I know this will shock everyone, but I have a pug. And a shih-tzu that a former live-in GF left with me, whom I also love and who can not help the fact that she is not a pug. Pugs are so awesome. Did I mention that I like pugs?
As soon as I saw your avatar that WAS an assumption that I made!!!

Vinny
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

I would totally think I have toxo. Ever since the Radiolab episode on it I was wondering. However, I have no desire to get more cats. A friend of the family has over 20 cats. Lovely woman, but I think she’s got the toxo.

In my case, I just have a really amazing cat.

Vinny, you’re taking your daughter to Rambo and breeding cats. What are you, some kind of libertarian hippie?
I’m kidding, I’m kidding.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

dualstow wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:07 pm
I would totally think I have toxo. Ever since the Radiolab episode on it I was wondering. However, I have no desire to get more cats. A friend of the family has over 20 cats. Lovely woman, but I think she’s got the toxo.

In my case, I just have a really amazing cat.

Vinny, you’re taking your daughter to Rambo and breeding cats. What are you, some kind of libertarian hippie?
I’m kidding, I’m kidding.
My best friend's mother had I don't know how many cats. It was a HUGE number but she had her husband (my friend's father) bamboozled into thinking they only had two or three. But when you walked by their house on the street you could smell the cat urine.

When I first became the manager of a rock band, I lived with one of the lead guitarists and the two vocalists. The place we rented had the"no pets" policy. We had nine cats and two dogs. One day the landlord came by and saw them. Somehow we got homes for most of the cats but still interpreted the "no pets" to mean "only" three cats and a dog.

In this house I once had six cats. But that caused all kinds of problems and I quickly went back to three, which I think is my house limit. I would make an exception to that rule if a Siamese or a Tonkinese became available. The cat who died last year was a Tonkinese (a breed with is a mix of my two all-time favorite cats - Burmese and Siamese).

Good memory. Except that was not my daughter but a friend's daughter who during those years I'd have for many weekends. Another movie time with her was when we were going to see some age appropriate movie for her. Until she saw the billing for Psycho 2. As soon as she saw that she kept yelling, "I want to se Cy-co-lo 2! I want to see Cy-co-lo 2!" So we went. I forget which part in the movie it was when she jumped into my lap to stay there for the rest of the movie.

Vinny
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

O0 Hilarious!

Did the rock band become famous? Was it Aerosmith?
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona »

Pumpkin, AKA Butterscotch, AKA Skip
Attachments
pumpkin.jpg
pumpkin.jpg (129.65 KiB) Viewed 3015 times
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

dualstow wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:29 pm O0 Hilarious!

Did the rock band become famous? Was it Aerosmith?
I wish! Two years after then was the band was no longer I asked the manager of Aerosmith if I could be a roadie with them but he did not need anyone.

That band's main claim to fame was opening for the James Montgomery Band. It was before their first record came out. We got paid $125 for that night while they were paid $1,000 for the night. I later also managed another band once I came to western Massachusetts. That band's main claim to fame was opening for the Raspberries (led by Eric Carmen and who had several national hits).

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

ochotona wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:04 pm Pumpkin, AKA Butterscotch, AKA Skip
Also, known as just another beautiful creature!

Vinny
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne »

Two cats here. They are in charge of the house. I'm the housecleaner and provider of food, petting, and laptops (that being the preferred cat bed when open).
two tails small.jpg
two tails small.jpg (39.88 KiB) Viewed 2698 times
There are many things in life to worry about, but toxoplasmosis is not on my list. I have an immune system for a reason. I'm pretty sure if you tested me you would find antibodies to Lyme and coccidioidomycosis, because I've spent enough time outdoors in the Northeast and Southwest deserts to virtually guarantee exposure. I don't worry about those either. It's only really a problem for the immune compromised - but if that describes someone in your household I'd start by having the tap water tested (cryptosporidium, Legionella etc are often in municipal water supplies).
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Great photo O0
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

WiseOne wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:02 am Two cats here. They are in charge of the house. I'm the housecleaner and provider of food, petting, and laptops (that being the preferred cat bed when open).

two tails small.jpg

There are many things in life to worry about, but toxoplasmosis is not on my list. I have an immune system for a reason. I'm pretty sure if you tested me you would find antibodies to Lyme and coccidioidomycosis, because I've spent enough time outdoors in the Northeast and Southwest deserts to virtually guarantee exposure. I don't worry about those either. It's only really a problem for the immune compromised - but if that describes someone in your household I'd start by having the tap water tested (cryptosporidium, Legionella etc are often in municipal water supplies).
Regarding your well stated first paragraph....

Are you telling us all he should have titled his song (and, with the appropriate lyrics)......"It's a Cat's Cat's Cat's World"??!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE0taRRlIIs

Vinny