Executive Member
Executive Member

Familiar?

Post by vnatale » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:24 pm

This familiar to anyone?

Vinny
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (546 KiB) Viewed 6285 times
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Familiar?

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:20 pm

Yes. However, I have now learned to not try to redefine the past to fit my current views. The past is the past. No amount of handwringing or moralizing will change it. I can only learn from it and do the best I can in the present. The future will present itself soon enough. There is no need to be anxious, that is only a delusion that for those who think they are in control of events beyond their control.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:52 pm

No.

I was a volunteer, that led volunteers, who mostly did a good job, who mostly loved this country.

I would guess close to 0% of modern fighting men (I'm early 30s) would carry that Zippo; they would feel disgraced by it.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:07 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:52 pm
No.

I was a volunteer, that led volunteers, who mostly did a good job, who mostly loved this country.

I would guess close to 0% of modern fighting men (I'm early 30s) would carry that Zippo; they would feel disgraced by it.
+1
europeanwizard
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by europeanwizard » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:58 am

I checked what Harry Browne had to say on the subject:
Governments invariably call upon their citizens to cooperate in efforts for the "public good." They want you to sacrifice to help solve economic crises, foreign-trade problems, and military conflicts; but these things were caused originally by government intervention. Even so, the calls can seem compelling, and social pressure can build on behalf of patriotic efforts. I don't believe that you do anything for your country by fighting in a war (any war), giving up your money, or sacrificing in any way.
When I started building the PP, one of my ideas was to have enough money to buy a house in another country, if my home country got into an unjust war organized by stupid politicians. The PP does provide for this in another way, with the gold portion. It's assumed to stay stable relative to most currencies.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:11 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
No.

That Zippo was in reference to a War which was, for the most part, not fought by volunteers and a War in which the President did not believe in but continued to prosecute because he did not want to be the first U.S. president to lose a war.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
jacksonm2

Post by jacksonm2 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:06 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
No.

Vietnam 1969-70. I was going to comment on this but I've learned to keep my mouth shut about such things.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:13 am

vnatale wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:11 am
That Zippo was in reference to a War which was, for the most part, not fought by volunteers and a War in which the President did not believe in but continued to prosecute because he did not want to be the first U.S. president to lose a war.

Vinny
Right. I am unfamiliar with the Vietnam mindset.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:44 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:13 am
vnatale wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:11 am

Vinny
Right. I am unfamiliar with the Vietnam mindset.
My response was not assuming you were.

Vinny
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:54 am

No sweat.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:28 pm

Potentially sensitive question here, Kriegsspiel. Did you encounter anyone actively trying to recruit neo-Nazis? I would think that most of that happens in the States, and then recruits may decide to enlist to get training and perhaps fighting experience. Probably no time for that once one is on a tour of duty.

You always hear about them in the military and the police force, but I have no anecdotal experience. There were two guys I bumped into at a shooting range, but I didn't know them well enough to ask.

For what it's worth, I'm a support the troops kind of guy. That even includes skinheads, as long as they're fighting for the country.

I do wonder if any of them accidentally form friendships with blacks and other non-whites whom they wouldn't befriend back home, or if they just behave and tolerate those they don't like while serving in the army, marines, etc.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:49 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:28 pm
Potentially sensitive question here, Kriegsspiel. Did you encounter anyone actively trying to recruit neo-Nazis? I would think that most of that happens in the States, and then recruits may decide to enlist to get training and perhaps fighting experience. Probably no time for that once one is on a tour of duty.

You always hear about them in the military and the police force, but I have no anecdotal experience. There were two guys I bumped into at a shooting range, but I didn't know them well enough to ask.

For what it's worth, I'm a support the troops kind of guy. That even includes skinheads, as long as they're fighting for the country.

I do wonder if any of them accidentally form friendships with blacks and other non-whites whom they wouldn't befriend back home, or if they just behave and tolerate those they don't like while serving in the army, marines, etc.
I wonder about your same in your last paragraph regarding major league baseball players. I think those who are drawn to the military have a fairly good overlap with those who go into professional baseball. And, then many of them end up being in a mix of people unlike what they grew up with.

Vinny
jacksonm2

Post by jacksonm2 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:08 pm

Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:11 pm

europeanwizard wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:58 am
Governments invariably call upon their citizens to cooperate in efforts for the "public good." They want you to sacrifice to help solve economic crises, foreign-trade problems, and military conflicts; but these things were caused originally by government intervention. Even so, the calls can seem compelling, and social pressure can build on behalf of patriotic efforts. I don't believe that you do anything for your country by fighting in a war (any war), giving up your money, or sacrificing in any way.
Harry was certainly wise in many ways, but he also held some extreme positions that he later walked back. I hope the above is in that category. I don't know how one can say that with a straight face.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:08 pm

Xan wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:11 pm
europeanwizard wrote:
Harry was certainly wise in many ways, but he also held some extreme positions that he later walked back. I hope the above is in that category. I don't know how one can say that with a straight face.
I don't know from where that quote was taken but it was his same position in his book regarding how to be free in an unfree world.

Vinny
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:48 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:08 pm
Xan wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:11 pm
europeanwizard wrote:
I don't know from where that quote was taken but it was his same position in his book regarding how to be free in an unfree world.

Vinny
And he walked back some of those positions as well, I'm particularly thinking of the one on marriage.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:02 am

dualstow wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:28 pm

Nope, not at all. The only thing I remember was reading one article about gang & drug cartel members joining the military for the training, then bringing it back to their gang/cartel. But again, that was just one thing I read about. Never noticed anything akin to what you're referencing in the military.
I think you're thinking of the plot to American History X ;D
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:35 pm

LoL, well Edward Norton has been making the rounds on news channels lately. And I made a fight club reference last week. Maybe there was something subconscious brewing.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:23 am

Just so long as you don't start raiding liposuction clinics and making soap.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:06 am

WiseOne wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:23 am
Just so long as you don't start raiding liposuction clinics and making soap.
That was a brilliant plot point.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:48 am

I’m a retired military guy and I have a seriously difficult time with the confederate and nazi flag thing regardless of someone having served or not...probably more so. It’s like a giant bird finger. As Grant said: I felt like anything rather than rejoicing at the downfall of a foe who had fought so long and valiantly, and had suffered so much for a cause, though that cause was, I believe, one of the worst for which a people ever fought, and one for which there was the least excuse.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:18 am

Kbg wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:48 am
I’m a retired military guy and I have a seriously difficult time with the confederate and nazi flag thing regardless of someone having served or not...probably more so. It’s like a giant bird finger. As Grant said: I felt like anything rather than rejoicing at the downfall of a foe who had fought so long and valiantly, and had suffered so much for a cause, though that cause was, I believe, one of the worst for which a people ever fought, and one for which there was the least excuse.
Is this the exact quote? It seemed like a word is missing. Otherwise I cannot understand whether he was for or against respecting the foe.

Vinny
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:51 am

vnatale wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:18 am
I felt like anything rather than rejoicing at the downfall
Meaning, he didn't feel at all like rejoicing.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:23 pm

Google it, Vinny, and you will see.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:20 pm

dualstow wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:23 pm
Google it, Vinny, and you will see.
1. I refer to it as an internet search as don't believe "Google" = "internet" search. I was an earlier adopter of doing internet searches via Google but in 2013 I came across a web site that let you do an internet search giving you side-by-side results from both Google and Bing. After seeing the results I've been using Bing almost exclusively for my internet searches.

2. Such "Bing" search let to the quote being exact, word for word. My only conclusion is that he definitely was not rejoicing. But he otherwise gave us zero idea what else he was feeling.

Vinny