The Republican Brain?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

User avatar
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3176
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:54 am

Re: The Republican Brain?

Post by ochotona » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:16 pm

The over-arching problem is Americans are incapable of critical thinking, especially as relates to anything quantitative. That's why most of the young scientists and engineers are of Asian (Sinitic or Indic) cultural backgrounds. Americans would rather teach their kids to be gender fluid strippers than teach them Calculus.
User avatar
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2685
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:56 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: The Republican Brain?

Post by vnatale » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:25 pm

ochotona wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:16 pm
The over-arching problem is Americans are incapable of critical thinking, especially as relates to anything quantitative. That's why most of the young scientists and engineers are of Asian (Sinitic or Indic) cultural backgrounds. Americans would rather teach their kids to be gender fluid strippers than teach them Calculus.
However, I invite you and all others to take this quiz to see how your beliefs of the world conform with the actual facts.

https://factfulnessquiz.com/

Vinny
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
User avatar
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2500
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:28 pm

Re: The Republican Brain?

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:32 am

astrology.png
astrology.png (43.79 KiB) Viewed 1983 times
All of humanity’s problems with coronavirus stem from a man’s inability to sit quietly in a room alone.
- Blasé Kriegsspiel
User avatar
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3176
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:54 am

Re: The Republican Brain?

Post by ochotona » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:44 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:32 am
astrology.png
Fair enough... but you have to look at the other side. What is the fraction of Republican voters, and especially high-conviction Trump supporters who believe the Bible is literally true, factual, and scientific? It's very, very high. I don't even need to see a study, because I used to hang out with these people before DJT came around and totally ruined the GOP for me.

Disclosure - I am a Christian, but not a literalist / fundamentalist.
User avatar
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 5654
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: The Republican Brain?

Post by technovelist » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:02 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:25 pm
ochotona wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:16 pm
The over-arching problem is Americans are incapable of critical thinking, especially as relates to anything quantitative. That's why most of the young scientists and engineers are of Asian (Sinitic or Indic) cultural backgrounds. Americans would rather teach their kids to be gender fluid strippers than teach them Calculus.
However, I invite you and all others to take this quiz to see how your beliefs of the world conform with the actual facts.

https://factfulnessquiz.com/

Vinny
"This is the official 13-question Factfulness Test recommended by Barack Obama and Bill Gates."

No, thanks. If I want to read Communist propaganda, I'll read "Das Kapital".
User avatar
Xan
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 2529
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: The Republican Brain?

Post by Xan » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:02 pm

technovelist wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:02 pm
vnatale wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:25 pm
ochotona wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:16 pm
The over-arching problem is Americans are incapable of critical thinking, especially as relates to anything quantitative. That's why most of the young scientists and engineers are of Asian (Sinitic or Indic) cultural backgrounds. Americans would rather teach their kids to be gender fluid strippers than teach them Calculus.
However, I invite you and all others to take this quiz to see how your beliefs of the world conform with the actual facts.

https://factfulnessquiz.com/

Vinny
"This is the official 13-question Factfulness Test recommended by Barack Obama and Bill Gates."

No, thanks. If I want to read Communist propaganda, I'll read "Das Kapital".
Actually it was quite interesting, and in my opinion undermines the claimed need for worldwide wealth redistribution.
User avatar
Xan
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 2529
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: The Republican Brain?

Post by Xan » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:07 pm

ochotona wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:44 am
Kriegsspiel wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:32 am
astrology.png
Fair enough... but you have to look at the other side. What is the fraction of Republican voters, and especially high-conviction Trump supporters who believe the Bible is literally true, factual, and scientific? It's very, very high. I don't even need to see a study, because I used to hang out with these people before DJT came around and totally ruined the GOP for me.

Disclosure - I am a Christian, but not a literalist / fundamentalist.
Replacing something of a rant with the observation that Tyler is right that believing weird things is a human problem, not a Republican problem, and the book and post that started this thread are uninterested in honest discussion about why people believe what they do.

Also I'd like to point out that "science" and "truth" are by no means the same thing. Science is a branch of philosophy. It's one way of looking at the world. A useful one, in many scenarios. Perhaps not so useful in others.
User avatar
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 978
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:43 am

Re: The Republican Brain?

Post by Maddy » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:10 am

Xan wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:07 pm
Replacing something of a rant with the observation that Tyler is right that believing weird things is a human problem, not a Republican problem, and the book and post that started this thread are uninterested in honest discussion about why people believe what they do.
Thank you.
jacksonm2
Full Member
Full Member
Posts: 78
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:46 pm

Re: The Republican Brain?

Post by jacksonm2 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:38 am

technovelist wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:02 pm
vnatale wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:25 pm
ochotona wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:16 pm
The over-arching problem is Americans are incapable of critical thinking, especially as relates to anything quantitative. That's why most of the young scientists and engineers are of Asian (Sinitic or Indic) cultural backgrounds. Americans would rather teach their kids to be gender fluid strippers than teach them Calculus.
However, I invite you and all others to take this quiz to see how your beliefs of the world conform with the actual facts.

https://factfulnessquiz.com/

Vinny
"This is the official 13-question Factfulness Test recommended by Barack Obama and Bill Gates."

No, thanks. If I want to read Communist propaganda, I'll read "Das Kapital".
Must be nice to be rich like Barack and Bill so you don't have enough problems of your own that you need to worry about everybody else's.
User avatar
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3468
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:41 pm
Location: suburbs of Chicago, IL

Re: The Republican Brain?

Post by pugchief » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:44 pm

vnatale wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:48 pm
The Republican Brain: The Science of Why They Deny Science- and Reality ?
Define 'science'. Left wing propaganda?

Failed doomsday predictions from the last 50 years "based on science". The list is impressive.
1966: Oil will run out in 10 years
1967: Famines by 1975
1968: Worldwide overpopulation
1970: World's natural resources run out
1970: Ice age by 2000
1970: Water rationing in U.S. by 1974, food rationing by 1980
1971: New ice age by 2020 or 2030
1974: Satellites show new ice age is near
1976: Scientific consensus that Earth is cooling
1978: 30-year cooling trend continues
1980: Acid rain kills life in lakes
1980: Peak oil in 2000
1988: Regional droughts by 1990s
1988: Maldives underwater by 2018
1989: Nations will be wiped out if nothing done by 2000
2000: Children won't know what snow is
2002: Peak oil in 2010
2002: Famine in 10 years unless we stop eating fish, meat and dairy products
2004: Britain will be Siberia by 2020
2008: The Arctic will be ice-free by 2018
2008: Al Gore predicts ice-free Arctic by 2013
2009: Prince Charles says we have 96 months to save the world
2009: Gordon Brown says we have 50 days to "save the planet from catastrophe"
2013: Arctic ice-free by 2015
2014: Only 500 days before "climate chaos"
source
User avatar
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 5654
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: The Republican Brain?

Post by technovelist » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:23 pm

pugchief wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:44 pm
vnatale wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:48 pm
The Republican Brain: The Science of Why They Deny Science- and Reality ?
Define 'science'. Left wing propaganda?

Failed doomsday predictions from the last 50 years "based on science". The list is impressive.
1966: Oil will run out in 10 years
1967: Famines by 1975
1968: Worldwide overpopulation
1970: World's natural resources run out
1970: Ice age by 2000
1970: Water rationing in U.S. by 1974, food rationing by 1980
1971: New ice age by 2020 or 2030
1974: Satellites show new ice age is near
1976: Scientific consensus that Earth is cooling
1978: 30-year cooling trend continues
1980: Acid rain kills life in lakes
1980: Peak oil in 2000
1988: Regional droughts by 1990s
1988: Maldives underwater by 2018
1989: Nations will be wiped out if nothing done by 2000
2000: Children won't know what snow is
2002: Peak oil in 2010
2002: Famine in 10 years unless we stop eating fish, meat and dairy products
2004: Britain will be Siberia by 2020
2008: The Arctic will be ice-free by 2018
2008: Al Gore predicts ice-free Arctic by 2013
2009: Prince Charles says we have 96 months to save the world
2009: Gordon Brown says we have 50 days to "save the planet from catastrophe"
2013: Arctic ice-free by 2015
2014: Only 500 days before "climate chaos"
source
But this time it's different! >:D
User avatar
Xan
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 2529
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: The Republican Brain?

Post by Xan » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:47 pm

Research Finds Conservatives Are More Happy, Generous, And Purposeful Than Liberals

And if you deny this is true then you are against science! :-)
Post Reply