Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: is investing in stocks "immoral"?

Post by vnatale » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:09 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:18 pm
Good lord! O0 I promise not to make up any fanciful titles but maybe you should slow down with that book buying, unless you’ve got a concrete bunker and are expecting a Stephen King ‘The Stand’ type situation.*

*(I’m not worried about you buying that. It’s a thousand pages and it’s fiction).

((Although it is quite fantastic and has influenced many writers, including the creator of ‘Jericho’)).
Actually, my only not reading fiction books was Stephen King since they were such page turners!

Were there any Twilight Zone watchers here?

One of the ones that I remembered was Henry Bemis. This retiring, bank teller type but a book lover. He goes into the vaults and when he comes out he realizes that there has been a nuclear attack and he is the only survivor. But somehow all the books in the library also survived. At the end of the TV show he is making up piles of row and naming them for the years he will be reading. And, somehow, his glasses fall off and gets smashed at they hit the ground.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:11 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:32 pm
dualstow wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:18 pm
Good lord! O0 I promise not to make up any fanciful titles but maybe you should slow down with that book buying, unless you’ve got a concrete bunker and are expecting a Stephen King ‘The Stand’ type situation.*

*(I’m not worried about you buying that. It’s a thousand pages and it’s fiction).

((Although it is quite fantastic and has influenced many writers, including the creator of ‘Jericho’)).
I'd be more worried about him buying Eternity Road 8)
Just looked at it. NOT one I'd buy or read.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:14 pm

;D

The joke was that the treasure they were in search of was a vault full of books. I was trying to find reviews of the book to link to that mentioned that, but this one was the closest I could find. The reviewers guess, that the inhabitants of a future apocalyptic world would be mostly illiterate and not interested in books is more in line with The Wild Shore, by Kim Stanley Robinson.

EDIT whoops, I was thinking of Earth Abides, by George Stewart, not Wild Shore.
Last edited by Kriegsspiel on Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:19 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:14 pm
;D

The joke was that the treasure they were in search of was a vault full of books. I was trying to find reviews of the book to link to that mentioned that, but this one was the closest I could find. The reviewers guess, that the inhabitants of a future apocalyptic world would be mostly illiterate and not interested in books is more in line with The Wild Shore, by Kim Stanley Robinson.
I'm stocking up on buying used iPads from Craigslist so I'll always be able to read ebooks no matter what happens in the future (as long as I have a solar charger).

Vinny
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:27 pm

Get one of those DVDs that last 100 years and burn reading material to it. (Disks mentioned by “Vulcan” over at B-Heads).
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years