Moderator: Global Moderator

Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Books?

Post by Xan » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:43 am

vnatale wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:38 am
I understand that you CAN go back and forth. But it seems like it'd be totally confusing to go back and forth. Seems like you have to maintain a commitment to one or the other.
I've never gotten confused. It's possible to get rusty if you completely neglect one, but switching between them really isn't a problem. I've been primarily on Dvorak for a long time and I think it's great (for what that's worth).
vnatale wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:38 am
And, it seems like I'd need to see where the letters are on my physical keyboards even if I am touch typing?
The definition of touch typing is not needing to see where the letters are on your keyboard, so... No.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:01 am

MangoMan wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:37 am
vnatale wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:39 am
MangoMan wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:52 am
I could swear when I was a HS Junior (1977) it was one optional test called the PSAT/NMSQT that you took before the SAT and ACT.
I took the PSAT in 10th grade. And, the SATs three times. Maybe all three times my junior year? Where I grew up we had no knowledge of the ACT and I don't think I even heard about it until the ACTs until decade(s) after high school.

Vinny
Back then in the midwest, the ACT was definitely the more popular of the two. Unless you were planning to go to a private school, or one on the E/W coast, many people only took the ACT.
I was definitely on the East Coast (Rhode Island).

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:55 pm

I just finished Liu Cixin's The Three Body Problem trilogy this week, and lo mein and behold! The NYT just published a story about the books and their translator. The books were fantastic, and it appears the translation was a big part of that:
Now, Liu Cixin says, he recommends that Chinese sci-fi fans who speak English read Ken Liu’s translation of “The Three-Body Problem” rather than the Chinese version. “Usually when Chinese literature gets translated to a foreign language, it tends to lose something,” he says. “I don’t think that happened with ‘The Three-Body Problem.’ I think it gained something.”
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:59 pm

O0 @ “lo mein and behold.”
Yeah, that’s supposed to be a great series. Never heard of something getting better in translation. I mean, my Italian buddy always insisted Twin Peaks was better in Italian, but...he’s Italian.[shadow][/shadow]
RIP Marcello Gandini
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:33 pm

dualstow wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:59 pm
Yeah, that’s supposed to be a great series. Never heard of something getting better in translation. I mean, my Italian buddy always insisted Twin Peaks was better in Italian, but...he’s Italian.[shadow][/shadow]
I'm pretty sure Caesar's "Gallic Wars" loses something in the original.
Or at least that's how I remember it from my junior high school Latin class.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:21 am

Libertarian666 wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:33 pm
dualstow wrote:
Hard to find a native speaker to comment on that. Even Rome didn’t have any.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:39 am

dualstow wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:21 am
Libertarian666 wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:33 pm
dualstow wrote:
Hard to find a native speaker to comment on that. Even Rome didn’t have any.
Even Rome didn't have native speakers of Latin?
Does that mean my Latin classes wouldn't help me in Latin America?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:06 pm

Romans spoke Vulgar Latin, very different.
Mm, your Latin classes should help a great deal with vocabulary (roots), but not so much ordering food or asking directions. ;D
As you well know.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:52 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:06 pm
Romans spoke Vulgar Latin, very different.
Mm, your Latin classes should help a great deal with vocabulary (roots), but not so much ordering food or asking directions. ;D
As you well know.
>:D
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:00 am

Tonight started and have read 65% of: Loserthink: How Untrained Brains Are Ruining America Hardcover – November 5, 2019.

I think it would appeal to many here.

You can also watch the interview with him here: https://www.c-span.org/video/?466664-1/ ... ng-america, which is how I discovered the book today.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:16 am

vnatale wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:00 am
Tonight started and have read 65% of: Loserthink: How Untrained Brains Are Ruining America Hardcover – November 5, 2019.

You can also watch the interview with him here: https://www.c-span.org/video/?466664-1/ ... ng-america, which is how I discovered the book today.

Vinny
I've been thinking about buying this book. I already knew about it because I listen to his podcasts sometimes.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:05 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:16 am
vnatale wrote:

Vinny
I've been thinking about buying this book. I already knew about it because I listen to his podcasts sometimes.
From what I've learned about you so far I'd be shocked if it did NOT appeal to you. But to convince yourself, first watch the above interview with him and you'll know exactly what the book is all about.

Vinny
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:52 pm

This is going to be a weird contribution, but I did not genuinely fall in love with math until I read the work of Ivan Savov.

https://www.amazon.ca/No-bullshit-guide ... 601&sr=8-2

His books really made me realize how fascinating math truly is. Math is the language for ascertaining what the truth of a given matter is. Basically the strictest form of reasoning that we have.

And when it is taught in plain english, it "takes" in the mind like an engrossing novel or a great movie.
I still find the James Rickards portfolio fascinating.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:18 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:52 pm
This is going to be a weird contribution, but I did not genuinely fall in love with math until I read the work of Ivan Savov.

His books really made me realize how fascinating math truly is. Math is the language for ascertaining what the truth of a given matter is. Basically the strictest form of reasoning that we have.

And when it is taught in plain english, it "takes" in the mind like an engrossing novel or a great movie.
MUST be a good one as it still has a fairly high used price for a 5 year old book!

Vinny
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:53 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:05 pm
Libertarian666 wrote:
vnatale wrote:

Vinny
From what I've learned about you so far I'd be shocked if it did NOT appeal to you. But to convince yourself, first watch the above interview with him and you'll know exactly what the book is all about.

Vinny
I know what it's about because he has described it on one or more of his podcasts.

I have two reservations about it:
1. It's too expensive for a Kindle book at $13.99.
2. He gets over his skis sometimes in thinking he is analyzing issues logically when his analysis is full of holes.

On the positive side, I see that the negative reviews on Amazon were obviously written by numbskulls.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:56 pm

Smith1776 wrote:

Actually programming is even stricter because it is subjected to the judgment of a machine that pays no attention to what you wanted it to do, only what you told it to do. It's more likely that a mathematical proof is wrong than that a computer doesn't do what you told it to do.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:24 pm

Smith1776 wrote:

Cool. I wanted to buy ‘The Number Devil’, but decided I was too old for it. The Savov book might be right for me.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:29 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:56 pm
Smith1776 wrote:

Actually programming is even stricter because it is subjected to the judgment of a machine that pays no attention to what you wanted it to do, only what you told it to do. It's more likely that a mathematical proof is wrong than that a computer doesn't do what you told it to do.
I fear this may lead down to a debate that would be ultimately circular.

Since a computer’s reasoning is also entirely mathematical it’s basically one expression of math vs another.

Either way, I love both fields!
I still find the James Rickards portfolio fascinating.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:19 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:53 pm
vnatale wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:
vnatale wrote:

Vinny

Vinny
I know what it's about because he has described it on one or more of his podcasts.

2. He gets over his skis sometimes in thinking he is analyzing issues logically when his analysis is full of holes.

On the positive side, I see that the negative reviews on Amazon were obviously written by numbskulls.
I'd be interested in hearing when you think his analysis is full of holes.

Vinny
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:27 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:19 pm
Libertarian666 wrote:
vnatale wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:
vnatale wrote:

Vinny

Vinny

I'd be interested in hearing when you think his analysis is full of holes.

Vinny
I don't recall a specific incident of that but I'll take note of it the next time it happens.

Edit: Here's an example from a comment that another commenter made, about a recent podcast of his (https://youtu.be/qT-dwjVR49I)

"My comments today are about your comments yesterday, You actually stated the the Gulf of Tonkin and the Weapons of Mass Destruction were just simple mistakes, They were CIA operations that were purposeful lies. Both caused millions of deaths and cost the American taxpayers billions of dollars and left dead and wounded thousands of Americans and people from other countries."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:16 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
vnatale wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:
vnatale wrote:

Vinny

Vinny

I just finished reading it. Here is what he closed with:

cience tells us that people retain only a small part of what they learn, so I will close by telling you which parts you should try hardest to remember.

THINGS TO REMEMBER

Don’t engage in mind reading. It isn’t a human skill.

Think of your ego as a tool, not your identity. Track your predictions to build up some useful humility about your worldview. Put yourself in embarrassing situations regularly to teach yourself there is no lasting pain.

The past no longer exists. Don’t let your attachment to the past influence your decisions today.

If you haven’t mentioned the next best alternative to your proposed plan, you haven’t said anything at all, and smart people would be wise to ignore you.

If you are arguing over the definition of a word instead of the best way forward, you are not part of the productive world.

If you are sure one variable is all you need to grasp a complicated topic, the problem is probably on your end.

Occam’s razor (the idea that the simplest explanation is usually correct) is utter nonsense in the way it is commonly employed. We all think our

opinions are the simplest explanations.

Fairness cannot be obtained in most cases because of its subjective nature. The closest you can get is equal application of the law.

If your argument depends on that one time something happened, you do not have an argument. You have a story.

If your argument depends entirely on the so-called slippery slope, you don’t have much of an argument. Everything changes until there’s a reason for it to stop. Mowing your lawn is not a slippery slope to shaving your dog.

Coincidences usually mean nothing. And they are the fuel of confirmation bias. If your argument depends entirely on not knowing how else to explain coincidences, you have a poor imagination, not an argument. Coincidences might tell you where to look first for confirmation of a theory, but that is as far as they can go.

Avoid halfpinions that ignore either the costs or the benefits of a plan.

Don’t use analogies to predict. Look to causes and effects.

Don’t judge a group by its worst 5 percent. If you do, you’re probably in the worst 5 percent of your own group.

Understand the limits of expert advice, and be skeptical of experts who have financial incentives to mislead.

Those are the most powerful points to take away, but I hope you find value in the rest of the book as well and refer to it often. I also hope you find a reason to gift it to someone in your life who could benefit from more productive ways of thinking.

Thank you for reading my book!

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:25 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:48 am
vnatale wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:55 am
Finally, I'm a BIG information person, using two 23" monitors on this computer as I do in my office. Getting information from a tiny (relative to 23" monitors) is just way too inefficient.
23"? I haven't used a monitor that small for years. I'm currently using a 4K 55" monitor.
Here's what I would probably buy today, for under $400:
https://www.costco.com/samsung-55%22-cl ... 55707.html
This is still your recommendation?

I'm about to get a new office computer (with an CPU three times faster than the i5 in my current computer). Would make sense to upgrade the two 23" monitors to two monitors much larger.

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:34 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:51 pm
Thank you, Vinny.

Believe me, I have been pushing beyond the comfortable speed ever since I saw how many words you read per minute. O0
Interesting about the down-the-middle with swirls approach. I remember seeing a suggested technique of kind of slanting down and to the right.

The closest I’ve come to speeding up is reading aloud in my head but as if an audiobook narrator has been speeded up. Anything beyond that and the reading comprehension suffers greatly.

In fiction, it helps to visualize everything, and certain books really lend themselves to that. A book on economics, though- I’d be screwed.
Have you kept up pushing?

And, I left this out. Many people worry that if they increase their reading speed, their comprehension will suffer. It's the opposite. The faster you read, the more you comprehend. If you are reading so slow your mind is wandering because it is not being provided information fast enough.

And, vocalizing the words (when you see people's lips moving when they are reading) or hearing the words in your head is putting an upper limit on your reading speed of about 200 words per minute.

200 words per minute is about the average speed of speaking. For me when I'm listening to a speaker provide information at that rate my mind is wandering because it is not being provided information at a fast enough rate. It now wants to get 900 words a minute. Another reason why I prefer to get my information via reading as opposed to listening. It comes in 4 1/2 times as fast as listening to it. I'll listen when my eyes are otherwise occupied and not available for reading.

Vinny
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:38 pm

It depends on the content, but in general no, I have been slowing down and sounding the words out in my head. Sometimes I use the voice of the Frontline narrator. Lately I can hear the neighbor’s TV through the wall, and it’s distracting.

When it’s quiet and I’ve had some coffee in the morning, I do try speeding up.
RIP Marcello Gandini
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:42 pm

dualstow wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:38 pm
It depends on the content, but in general no, I have been slowing down and sounding the words out in my head. Sometimes I use the voice of the Frontline narrator. Lately I can hear the neighbor’s TV through the wall, and it’s distracting.

When it’s quiet and I’ve had some coffee in the morning, I do try speeding up.
Today I at the eye doctors office and waiting to be seen. Pulled out my Kindle to read a book. But there were simultaneous conversations going on around me. As much as I tried to ignore their content, I could not and they were quite distracting to my attempt to read. Pulled out my iPod, put it on loud, drowning out all those conversations, and the reading speed greatly improved.

Vinny