Re: Books?

Post by Libertarian666 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:20 pm

vnatale wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:25 pm
Libertarian666 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:48 am
vnatale wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:55 am
Finally, I'm a BIG information person, using two 23" monitors on this computer as I do in my office. Getting information from a tiny (relative to 23" monitors) is just way too inefficient.
23"? I haven't used a monitor that small for years. I'm currently using a 4K 55" monitor.
Here's what I would probably buy today, for under $400:
https://www.costco.com/samsung-55%22-cl ... 55707.html
This is still your recommendation?

I'm about to get a new office computer (with an CPU three times faster than the i5 in my current computer). Would make sense to upgrade the two 23" monitors to two monitors much larger.

Vinny
Yes, although I don't know about two 55" monitors. I can't imagine what desk setup would make sense with that.

Remember, a 55" monitor has 4x the screen real-estate of a 27" monitor, or almost 6x a 23" monitor.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:06 pm

With all my routines out the window these past few weeks...it'd been not since last week that I read any of this book...

Call Sign Chaos: Learning to Lead

https://smile.amazon.com/Call-Sign-Chao ... 8&qid=&sr=

In what I'd prior read I'd already read the huge premium that Mattis puts on reading.

At the end there was a reprint of this article about him:

General James 'Mad Dog' Mattis Email About Being 'Too Busy To Read' Is A Must-Read

https://www.businessinsider.com/viral-j ... nes-2013-5

At the end of the book he had a list ofrecommended books (from the above email / article).

But I'm now seeing that, unlike the book, this article does not list those books. I'll look for them elsewhere.

Found a source: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/425 ... al_Reading

I've hardly read any. except for:

Did read Black Hawk Down (and watched the movie several times. One of my all-time favorite war movies.)

Read Hillenbrand's Unbroken (and have never seen the related movie but also read the subject's own book).

This appears to not be the same list as was in the book as the book has Gates's "Duty" which I did partially read.

Or, Tuckman's "Guns of August" which I also read and which was excellent. After I read her description of the person who'd been assassinated which was the catalyst for World War I I immediately made the parallel between that person and George Bush (2nd). I was reading that while at our end of year softball playoffs. As soon as I read the paragraph description I gave the book to my coach, told him to read the paragraph, and to tell me who it described today. He said, "Bush".

I did not read the particular recommended Max Hasting book he cited but I've read other of his and he is absolutely astoundingly outstanding in his writing and providing me information about World II that I'd never previously known, a historical period of which I'd prior read a lot.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:15 pm

After finally finishing that Mattis book I picked up this one to read:

The Intelligence Trap: Why Smart People Make Dumb Mistakes

https://smile.amazon.com/Intelligence-T ... l_huc_item

Excellent book so far and will going back to it shortly.

Here is one fact from it: The average IQ of accountants, lawyers, engineers is 125. The range is 97 to 157.

By the way, having started out at a math / science / engineering college and then finally finding that my correct path was in the business school (accounting -- though I always wondered if I'd not been in such a purely theoretical program as a math major but, instead, been in a more practical one that I could have also been an actuary, at the top of the list the ratio to highly paid / low stress)… I come out with this general hierarchy of intelligence...

1) Engineers
2) Lawyers
3) Accountants

Anyone I've known who has an undergraduate degree in engineering and then gone on to get an MBA has given the impression that getting the MBA was "baby" work.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:34 pm

Here is what is on the first two pages of the book....

Vinny
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (103.3 KiB) Viewed 6017 times
Capture1.JPG
Capture1.JPG (116.86 KiB) Viewed 6017 times
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:46 pm

Have also learned from the book that:

If Steve Jobs did have an arrogant mind and followed medical life he'd probably still be alive today.

Similarly, Einstein due to the same, wasted the last 25 years of his life.

The book has already caused me to buy these two books:

Improbable Cause: The War on Terror’s Assault on the Bill of Rights

https://smile.amazon.com/Improbable-Cau ... l_huc_item

Dancing Naked in the Mind Field

https://smile.amazon.com/Dancing-Naked- ... l_huc_item

Vinny
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:41 pm

vnatale wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:15 pm

Here is one fact from it: The average IQ of accountants, lawyers, engineers is 125. The range is 97 to 157.

By the way, having started out at a math / science / engineering college and then finally finding that my correct path was in the business school (accounting -- though I always wondered if I'd not been in such a purely theoretical program as a math major but, instead, been in a more practical one that I could have also been an actuary, at the top of the list the ratio to highly paid / low stress)… I come out with this general hierarchy of intelligence...

1) Engineers
2) Lawyers
3) Accountants

Anyone I've known who has an undergraduate degree in engineering and then gone on to get an MBA has given the impression that getting the MBA was "baby" work.

Vinny
I agree that engineers are the smartest.
Of course I might be biased, since I'm a "software engineer". :D
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:42 am

Libertarian666 wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:41 pm
vnatale wrote:

1) Engineers
2) Lawyers
3) Accountants

Vinny
No question in my mind. When I was in high school I was a star. At the math / science / engineering school I was just an average student. Left that to go to undergraduate business school I was again a start. But graduate business school I was back to average.

Vinny

Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:08 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
vnatale wrote:

1) Engineers
2) Lawyers
3) Accountants

Vinny
I think some of the data is flawed. An IQ average of 125 for engineers is way, way too low, unless of course, that is the average of the bottom 1%. ;)
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:27 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:08 pm
Libertarian666 wrote:
vnatale wrote:

1) Engineers
2) Lawyers
3) Accountants

Vinny
I think some of the data is flawed. An IQ average of 125 for engineers is way, way too low, unless of course, that is the average of the bottom 1%. ;)
It said the average for those three groups. Therefore, if there were equal numbers of all three then the average for each could be:

120 - accountants
125 - lawyers
130 - engineers

That would fit my preconceptions for each group and would come out to 125 as the average for the three groups combined.

Having gone though part of an intense math / science / engineering regimen and then upper level business / accounting courses I can first person testify that the intellectual prowess is far greater to be able to meet the demands of the former than the latter.

Vinny
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:37 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:27 pm
Mountaineer wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:
vnatale wrote:

1) Engineers
2) Lawyers
3) Accountants

Vinny
It said the average for those three groups. Therefore, if there were equal numbers of all three then the average for each could be:

120 - accountants
125 - lawyers
130 - engineers

That would fit my preconceptions for each group and would come out to 125 as the average for the three groups combined.

Having gone though part of an intense math / science / engineering regimen and then upper level business / accounting courses I can first person testify that the intellectual prowess is far greater to be able to meet the demands of the former than the latter.

Vinny
How about 0, 0, and 375? Accountants can add the numbers and calculate the average; lawyers can determine if it is legal to do that, and the engineers ....... will just keep on disguising their smug superiority while others point out no one has ever had an IQ of 375 or 0 ("yet" thinks the engineer as he smugly realizes what the median IQ of the group is and who has it). ;D ;D ;D
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:49 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:37 pm
vnatale wrote:
Mountaineer wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:
vnatale wrote:

1) Engineers
2) Lawyers
3) Accountants

Vinny

120 - accountants
125 - lawyers
130 - engineers

Vinny
How about 0, 0, and 375? Accountants can add the numbers and calculate the average; lawyers can determine if it is legal to do that, and the engineers ....... will just keep on disguising their smug superiority while others point out no one has ever had an IQ of 375 or 0 ("yet" thinks the engineer as he smugly realizes what the median IQ of the group is and who has it). ;D ;D ;D
In the book I've been reading the author introduces us to this Terman person:

Terman's Kids: The Groundbreaking Study of How the Gifted Grow Up

https://smile.amazon.com/Termans-Kids-G ... l_huc_item

Over 100 years ago Terman puts great faith in identifying the high IQ as those who were going to be society's greatest contributors. Kids are described with IQs in the low 190s. Kids who had read 1,400 books by the age of 5. But there was no great outlying performances as adults to equal their outlying IQs.

Posssessing rational thinking - https://smile.amazon.com/Rationality-Qu ... l_huc_item - The Rationality Quotient: Toward a Test of Rational Thinking (The MIT Press) seems to be far more predictive of success than does IQ.

You may agree that successful engineers probably possess an abundance of rational thinking.

I've had enough exposure to lawyers, accountants, and engineers that the engineers are, without a doubt, the top of those two groups with the lawyers being a poor second. And, the accountants bringing up the rear.

Vinny
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:14 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:49 pm
Mountaineer wrote:
vnatale wrote:
Mountaineer wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:
vnatale wrote:

1) Engineers
2) Lawyers
3) Accountants

Vinny

120 - accountants
125 - lawyers
130 - engineers

Vinny

Over 100 years ago Terman puts great faith in identifying the high IQ as those who were going to be society's greatest contributors. Kids are described with IQs in the low 190s. Kids who had read 1,400 books by the age of 5. But there was no great outlying performances as adults to equal their outlying IQs.

Posssessing rational thinking - https://smile.amazon.com/Rationality-Qu ... l_huc_item - The Rationality Quotient: Toward a Test of Rational Thinking (The MIT Press) seems to be far more predictive of success than does IQ.

You may agree that successful engineers probably possess an abundance of rational thinking.

I've had enough exposure to lawyers, accountants, and engineers that the engineers are, without a doubt, the top of those two groups with the lawyers being a poor second. And, the accountants bringing up the rear.

Vinny
Vinny, I must confess that I've not been totally serious about my implied view of accountants, lawyers and engineers. I have a strong dose of skepticism about the overall worth of IQ as a measure of success or value to society. I've known many people with high and low and everything in between IQs (When I was a senior in High School, I helped the guidance councellor and knew the results of each persons two different IQ test results - they were a couple years apart). I believe the lowest was a 69 and I forget the highest but I think was something over 140. All were functioning individuals with various skills. For me (an engineer) the easy classes were math and the sciences. For others it was English or History or Band or Phys Ed. I think each person has relatively unique aptitudes for different subjects that come together as a society for a variety of useful vocations and endeavors. In religious terms, God does not make junk. It's people that sterotype other people as junk, mainly to make themselves feel superior. I have known several people with Downs Syndrome - kind loving people all. I've known brilliant people (my grandfather - another story for another time) and people with other severe disabilities; there is always some positive aspect to them, even if it is just to allow others to express love for others as they care for the less able. Anyway, sorry for the tweaking of non-engineers - I love you all!
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:09 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:14 pm
vnatale wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:49 pm
Mountaineer wrote:
vnatale wrote:
Mountaineer wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:
vnatale wrote:

1) Engineers
2) Lawyers
3) Accountants

Vinny

120 - accountants
125 - lawyers
130 - engineers

Vinny

Vinny
Vinny, I must confess that I've not been totally serious about my implied view of accountants, lawyers and engineers. I have a strong dose of skepticism about the overall worth of IQ as a measure of success or value to society. I've known many people with high and low and everything in between IQs (When I was a senior in High School, I helped the guidance councellor and knew the results of each persons two different IQ test results - they were a couple years apart). I believe the lowest was a 69 and I forget the highest but I think was something over 140. All were functioning individuals with various skills. For me (an engineer) the easy classes were math and the sciences. For others it was English or History or Band or Phys Ed. I think each person has relatively unique aptitudes for different subjects that come together as a society for a variety of useful vocations and endeavors. In religious terms, God does not make junk. It's people that sterotype other people as junk, mainly to make themselves feel superior. I have known several people with Downs Syndrome - kind loving people all. I've known brilliant people (my grandfather - another story for another time) and people with other severe disabilities; there is always some positive aspect to them, even if it is just to allow others to express love for others as they care for the less able. Anyway, sorry for the tweaking of non-engineers - I love you all!
You are slightly older than me so you may have had some similar educational experiences to mine.

In 6th grade we all took standardized tests for placement for our classes starting in 7th grade at the junior high school.

On the basis of how I scored I was placed in one of two what was then called "accelerated" division. We all started that year taking a language while the "regular" kids did not take a language until 9th grade. We took a different kind of math. Now that I'm writing this I'm seeing that we were a result of the Russian Sputnik embarrassment to our country.

One day in 7th grade I'm shocked by out of nowhere our science teacher castigating us during the class! She tells us we were all "intellectual snobs" for looking down upon the other kids in the "regular" divisions.

I had NO idea any of my classmates had been engaged in this behavior. Keep in mind we are all about 12 years old at this time!

My two best friends at the time (and since elementary school) were in "regular" divisions. It was never an issue or a divider that I was now in the "accelerated" division. I had always been the much smarter one than the two of them all through elementary school. But that was never a factor in all the time the three of us spent together as kids. We did "kid" non-intellectual activities!

To this day when I have to answer that security question "Who was your best childhood friend" I still use the name of one of those two best friends.

Vinny
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:26 am

Bonfire Of The Vanities could be a fun read this year.

>:D
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:56 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:26 am

Revisiting this thread, I remember wondering how you can remain inebriated and be such a voracious reader. O0
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:01 pm

Some recent recommended reads:

Martin Eden by Jack London
Outlaw Platoon by Parnell
Digital Minimalism by Newport
Deep Work by Newport
Rules For Radicals by Alinsky
The Strange Death Of Europe by Murray
The Coming Neo-Feudalism by Kotkin
Submission by Houellebecq
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:01 pm

dualstow wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:56 am
Kriegsspiel wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:26 am

Revisiting this thread, I remember wondering how you can remain inebriated and be such a voracious reader. O0
I don't know bro I'm just like... fucking amazing or something.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:03 am

Just finished up a great history book...Hirohito's War. It has been out for 5 years or so but it was pretty good if one is up for a very large book on the Pacific War in WW2. I liked it because it dealt with the entire "thing" vs. the American Navy/Marine narrative that is the standard narrative for most WW2 in the Pacific books. For example, I had no idea about the fairly large Dutch/Japanese campaign at the beginning of the war.

Anyway, if you are a war history buff, highly recommended.

One side note, his collection of maps is extensive and you have to access them via the internet. Since I was always going to the maps I decided to download Google earth as well and it was very fun to look at all the locations and see what they looked like now.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:38 am

Kbg wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:03 am
Just finished up a great history book...Hirohito's War. It has been out for 5 years or so but it was pretty good if one is up for a very large book on the Pacific War in WW2. I liked it because it dealt with the entire "thing" vs. the American Navy/Marine narrative that is the standard narrative for most WW2 in the Pacific books. For example, I had no idea about the fairly large Dutch/Japanese campaign at the beginning of the war.

One side note, his collection of maps is extensive and you have to access them via the internet. Since I was always going to the maps I decided to download Google earth as well and it was very fun to look at all the locations and see what they looked like now.
Just added it to my list. Price, though, has to come down dramatically before I buy it. Why is it so expensive all across the board for an older book? High prices for new, used, Kindle. Is it because it's an academic book? Used in college courses?

Vinny
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:03 am

Kbg wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:03 am

Suspect you will enjoy these sites.
Found the history of Corregidor fascinating (not even mentioned in Secondary School)
https://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USMC/index.html
https://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/US ... index.html

https://corregidor.org/heritage_battali ... tents.html
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:04 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:01 pm
Sean Parnell on Tim's podcast right now.

The evidence that we're the same person mounts.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:05 am

Last edited by Kriegsspiel on Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:35 am

Always a Soldier: Service, Sacrifice, and Coming Out as America's Favorite Black, Gay Republican Hardcover – July 21, 2020

https://www.amazon.com/Always-a-Soldier ... l_huc_item
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:11 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:04 pm
Kriegsspiel wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:01 pm
Sean Parnell on Tim's podcast right now.

The evidence that we're the same person mounts.
O0
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:52 pm

For those of you who do not already have your own copy of Fail Save Investing. Get it free here: http://clearwalksoft.com/personal-devel ... sting.html

Vinny