Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Books?

Post by vnatale » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:55 am

MangoMan wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:15 pm
vnatale wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:25 pm
Generally I like reading on devices that give me about the same number of words on it as a book.
You can change the font size to how ever many words you want on a page.

Yes. I do know that. However, I'm an extremely fast reader - 900 words per minute - that I want to have a lot words on screen to have a high ratio of [time spend reading / time spent turning the page]. I believe I have it on the tiniest font possible. It works out fairly well on the paperweight Kindle. Not as many words on the screen as I get on the iPad but good enough for portable use.

vnatale wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:25 pm
I'd buy a smart phone if it could give me the same reading experience that that Kindle does. From my limited search it does not seem like such a phone exists?
You really are frugal. I didn't know anyone under 70 had a phone that wasn't a smartphone.

I was not clear enough. Years ago I bought some used (of course) iPhones but only used them as portable internet devices. Not as phones.

Then in June 2018 I decided I should finally have a working cellphone. So, I signed up with Google Fi (mainly because you can make phone calls over WiFi (my house is spotty for many wireless carriers and I've seen many people in the building where by office is either go outside to make cell phone calls or be in the entrance vestibule.). But it was borne out that I really did not need a working cellphone as two weeks ago when our office phone system was down was the FIRST time I'd used my phone to make phone calls since I'd bought it 18 months prior (all the while paying $25 a month for the unlimited text and phone). I still have yet to make a text. Don't know what my phone number is and have yet to give my phone number to anyone.

Ever since I got involved with the internet I've avoid the phone unless it is absolutely the best form of communication. It just demands too much of your immediate attention. I prefer the asynchronous form of communication like this.

Finally, I'm a BIG information person, using two 23" monitors on this computer as I do in my office. Getting information from a tiny (relative to 23" monitors) is just way too inefficient. Sending a text or an email using a cellphone keyboard seems torturous given that I can type 50, 60 words a minute on a computer keyboard. About as far down as I'll go on typing on an electronic device is either an iPad or an iPad mini.

My cellphone is a nice one - it's the version of this one that was available in June 2018 (may actually be the same model) and cost the same now as it did then $199. https://fi.google.com/about/phones/#moto-g7 But I can go weeks without using it in any way.

My comment regarding what I'd buy is that (since I can easily afford it no matter what the costs) I'd buy yet another cellphone (adding to the four I already own) IF it offered me a book reading screen as large as what that Kindle paperweight does.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:06 am

If this is your type of book then I recommend it:

Every Man a Hero: A Memoir of D-Day, the First Wave at Omaha Beach, and a World at War

https://smile.amazon.com/Every-Man-Hero ... l_huc_item

It's a fast read. Started it Friday night and finished it last night.

The author was 98 years old when he wrote it and he is one of the LAST surviving participants at D-Day. (And, I WILL be returning the book TODAY as I will be twice driving by TWO libraries on my way to and from our end of Fall season softball playoffs today.)

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:34 am

Off topic, but I just want to make sure you know, Vinny, that you can send texts from a desktop.
I’ve always been able to use iMessage on my Mac, and now I can also send android texts from a web browser. You just have to have your phone on, scan a QR code on the screen, and start typing. I haven’t had to re-scan in over a month.

Full keyboard, desktop-sized screen.
RIP Marcello Gandini
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:16 am

Pug,

I have a flip phone and I am under 70.

It is nice not being “connected” all the time.

BUT do you fine people think I will be compelled to give up my flip phone?

Thanks.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:48 am

vnatale wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:55 am
Finally, I'm a BIG information person, using two 23" monitors on this computer as I do in my office. Getting information from a tiny (relative to 23" monitors) is just way too inefficient.
23"? I haven't used a monitor that small for years. I'm currently using a 4K 55" monitor.
Here's what I would probably buy today, for under $400:
https://www.costco.com/samsung-55%22-cl ... 55707.html
vnatale wrote:
Sending a text or an email using a cellphone keyboard seems torturous given that I can type 50, 60 words a minute on a computer keyboard.
If you switch to Dvorak you could probably go a lot faster. I've hit 100 wpm in the past, although I don't know if I could do that now, what with my arthritis.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:21 pm

I’m jealous of fast readers. There was a Hungarian physicist — I think he worked on the Manhattan project — who said he doesn’t exactly read. “I look at the page and see what is there.” Wish I could do that.
RIP Marcello Gandini
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:10 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:34 am
Off topic, but I just want to make sure you know, Vinny, that you can send texts from a desktop.
I’ve always been able to use iMessage on my Mac, and now I can also send android texts from a web browser. You just have to have your phone on, scan a QR code on the screen, and start typing. I haven’t had to re-scan in over a month.

Full keyboard, desktop-sized screen.
Did not know that. But for me "texts" in my world are both the emails I send and Facebook (private) messages I send via this computer (and, any others that I use).

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:14 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:48 am
vnatale wrote:
Finally, I'm a BIG information person, using two 23" monitors on this computer as I do in my office. Getting information from a tiny (relative to 23" monitors) is just way too inefficient.
23"? I haven't used a monitor that small for years. I'm currently using a 4K 55" monitor.
vnatale wrote:
Sending a text or an email using a cellphone keyboard seems torturous given that I can type 50, 60 words a minute on a computer keyboard.
If you switch to Dvorak you could probably go a lot faster. I've hit 100 wpm in the past, although I don't know if I could do that now, what with my arthritis.
How does a monitor that size work ergonomically? The ideal is to be looking straight ahead with your head level. It seems like with a monitor that size I might have to tilt my head up a fair amount of time? The next step up for my office monitors would be 29" or so. There I stand all the time while doing my work.

And, Dvorak. I believe I read about that in the book that demonstrated how you could learn various things in 20 hours. Maybe, some day!

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:17 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
vnatale wrote:
vnatale wrote:
And, going back to that URL that you sent me on the monitor. I'd strongly consider buying it as a TV. When I see something has 1,059 reviews with a 4.5 star rating out of 5 stars that definitely gets my attention. If it was not that good in the first place it would never get that many reviews. And, 4.5 out of 5 is quite high.

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:22 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:21 pm
I’m jealous of fast readers. There was a Hungarian physicist — I think he worked on the Manhattan project — who said he doesn’t exactly read. “I look at the page and see what is there.” Wish I could do that.
Over a two year period in high school, I taught myself how to increase my speed from 300 to 900 words per minute. I bought two books on how to read faster and did EVERYTHING they said to do. I was extremely motivated, dedicated, and disciplined with it.

Just one anecdote regarding its benefit.

A friend of mine took the GMAT (exams for acceptance to graduate business schools). I asked him how many times he'd been able to get through each section before they said to close the booklets. He said, "How many times??!! I could not even get through them once!" I'd been able to fully read them two times and was on my third time around when they said to close the booklets. Being able to read the information that fast was a tremendous advantage in then answering the questions based upon what we read.

I could give you some tips on how to read faster. Some would take an investment of time (that would later pay off) while others would take no investment of time but would give an immediate payoff.

Vinny
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:48 pm

Please do. Can’t hurt to try.
RIP Marcello Gandini
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:33 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:48 pm
Please do. Can’t hurt to try.
Here is what I remember.

1. Look up the meaning of every word you do not know. This one I was extremely disciplined on and did for the entire two years. I was totally honest with myself in telling myself I STILL did not know the meaning of a word after having already looked it up 7 or 8 prior times! By the time I was done with this process I was seeing no words I did not know and don't think I saw any words on the verbal SAT's that I did not know. This one, though, is a huge time investment because it stops you reading while you pick up that dictionary to look up the word. If you are reading an ebook, though, this is far easier than what I put myself through. The payoff is when you are reading in the future you never pause at an unknown to try to guess its meaning.

2. Slowest readings read a letter at a time. Next is a word at a time. Next is phrases. The way I read is somewhat done the middle with a swirling to the left and right. This one either you or I may need to find a better online explanation to better describe this.

3. The next is the free one which is guaranteed to increase your speed with zero investment of time. Just some temporary discomfort. When you are reading a book, a newspaper, an article online or in a newspaper you are reading it at your comfortable reading speed. For about ten minutes push yourself so that you feel uncomfortable but not so fast so that you are not reading all the words or losing any comprehension. Just do it a level where all the reading feels the same except that you are realizing you are pushing yourself and it does feel as relaxed or as comfortable as your normal reading speed. Here is what happens. Let's say your normal reading speed is 300 words per minute. When you were pushing yourself you were reading at 10% faster or 330 words per minute. When you go back to your normal, comfortable speed it is now going to be 310 word per minute. I'm just giving rough numbers. Now next session (anther day) 10% faster for 10 minutes is going to be 340 words per minute. And, your normal reading speed is now going to be 315. I loved this one because there was zero extra investment of time.

Vinny
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:09 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:14 pm
Libertarian666 wrote:
vnatale wrote:
vnatale wrote:
How does a monitor that size work ergonomically? The ideal is to be looking straight ahead with your head level. It seems like with a monitor that size I might have to tilt my head up a fair amount of time? The next step up for my office monitors would be 29" or so. There I stand all the time while doing my work.
I don't have to tilt my head up to see most of the screen. I can move my eyes far enough, but of course that depends on how acute your vision is if you're not looking straight ahead.
vnatale wrote:
And, Dvorak. I believe I read about that in the book that demonstrated how you could learn various things in 20 hours. Maybe, some day!

Vinny
It will probably take you a lot more than 20 hours to get to reasonable competency with Dvorak, but I've never thought the time to do that was wasted. Just the reduction in finger movement alone when typing English text is worthwhile.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:11 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:22 pm
dualstow wrote:
Over a two year period in high school, I taught myself how to increase my speed from 300 to 900 words per minute. I bought two books on how to read faster and did EVERYTHING they said to do. I was extremely motivated, dedicated, and disciplined with it.

A friend of mine took the GMAT (exams for acceptance to graduate business schools). I asked him how many times he'd been able to get through each section before they said to close the booklets. He said, "How many times??!! I could not even get through them once!" I'd been able to fully read them two times and was on my third time around when they said to close the booklets. Being able to read the information that fast was a tremendous advantage in then answering the questions based upon what we read.

I could give you some tips on how to read faster. Some would take an investment of time (that would later pay off) while others would take no investment of time but would give an immediate payoff.

Vinny
I finished the SAT with plenty of time to spare, although I should probably have gone back over the answers because I didn't get 800s. The only achievement test where I didn't have lots of time left over was the NMSQT (the 1964 version).
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:50 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:09 pm
vnatale wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:

I don't have to tilt my head up to see most of the screen. I can move my eyes far enough, but of course that depends on how acute your vision is if you're not looking straight ahead.
vnatale wrote:

Vinny
It will probably take you a lot more than 20 hours to get to reasonable competency with Dvorak, but I've never thought the time to do that was wasted. Just the reduction in finger movement alone when typing English text is worthwhile.
Today I was doing a lot of spreadsheet work with numbers jammed on the screen and quite tiny. Those were monitor on my right. And, I was looking at those numbers to input them into accounting software on this monitor right in front of me. I will definitely, at some point, acquire what you recommended or something like it to compare that experience to what I am now doing. I know that if I don't keep the whole arms, body, head all in one direction and aligned I'm otherwise going to get physical problems, i.e., pain. Right now as I'm doing this my head is completely level with no need for it to move up or down.

And, here is the book I mentioned. He seemed to get it (and many other things) all down in 20 hours. I do remember, though, that when he was doing it there was a drastic reduction in his typing speed and that may have been for weeks. That would mean I could only start on it until I was not under pressure to be fairly highly productive for a good span of time. Plus, there is no turning back? You don't go back and forth between that keyboard and the current keyboard that we all use? So, all your keyboards would either need to be converted or replaced?

https://www.amazon.com/First-20-Hours-L ... l_huc_item

The First 20 Hours: How to Learn Anything . . . Fast!

Vinny
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:51 pm

Thank you, Vinny.

Believe me, I have been pushing beyond the comfortable speed ever since I saw how many words you read per minute. O0
Interesting about the down-the-middle with swirls approach. I remember seeing a suggested technique of kind of slanting down and to the right.

The closest I’ve come to speeding up is reading aloud in my head but as if an audiobook narrator has been speeded up. Anything beyond that and the reading comprehension suffers greatly.

In fiction, it helps to visualize everything, and certain books really lend themselves to that. A book on economics, though- I’d be screwed.
RIP Marcello Gandini
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:56 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:11 pm
vnatale wrote:
dualstow wrote:

Vinny
I finished the SAT with plenty of time to spare, although I should probably have gone back over the answers because I didn't get 800s. The only achievement test where I didn't have lots of time left over was the NMSQT (the 1964 version).
This forum certainly gets me looking up some new things I never heard of! I'd never heard of the NMSQT prior to reading what you just wrote. It seems like it is a new (?) thing and is the PSAT counterpart? So, is that what you took the PSAT? The same thing I took around 1966?

And, related to the new things I've seen here.

There was a question to me about "wokeness". I had to look up its definition. Then last just week I heard a partial clip of President Obama talking to students about their use of social media. At one point, he said, "....And, you consider that woke. That's not social justice. That's not change." It tied in with what the word meant as explained to me here, except that he seemed to have a broader definition of it.

Vinny
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:59 pm

I think I saw some of the same Obama clip. He dissed ‘wokeness’, which was good to hear. Said something like, “The world is messy. There are ambiguities” - in the context of, you can’t expect people to behave the way you want them to/ you have to live in the world and (for the most part) accept it the way it is.
RIP Marcello Gandini
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:05 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:59 pm
I think I saw some of the same Obama clip. He dissed ‘wokeness’, which was good to hear. Said something like, “The world is messy. There are ambiguities” - in the context of, you can’t expect people to behave the way you want them to/ you have to live in the world and (for the most part) accept it the way it is.
I seemed to have only seen 20 seconds of it and don't know if that was all it was or I just heard the tail end of it. He came across as articulate during those 20 seconds as he had obvious thoughts about what he was saying as opposed to being put on the spot and having to answer someone else's question.

Vinny
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:10 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:50 pm
Libertarian666 wrote:
vnatale wrote:

vnatale wrote:

Vinny
Today I was doing a lot of spreadsheet work with numbers jammed on the screen and quite tiny. Those were monitor on my right. And, I was looking at those numbers to input them into accounting software on this monitor right in front of me. I will definitely, at some point, acquire what you recommended or something like it to compare that experience to what I am now doing. I know that if I don't keep the whole arms, body, head all in one direction and aligned I'm otherwise going to get physical problems, i.e., pain. Right now as I'm doing this my head is completely level with no need for it to move up or down.

And, here is the book I mentioned. He seemed to get it (and many other things) all down in 20 hours. I do remember, though, that when he was doing it there was a drastic reduction in his typing speed and that may have been for weeks. That would mean I could only start on it until I was not under pressure to be fairly highly productive for a good span of time. Plus, there is no turning back? You don't go back and forth between that keyboard and the current keyboard that we all use? So, all your keyboards would either need to be converted or replaced?

Vinny
No, you can go back and forth if you want to. I never learned to touch-type on the QWERTY keyboard so that doesn't apply to me, but I understand from others that it isn't a big problem.

As for converting or replacing your keyboards, every version of Windows since 3.1 (I think) has had a Dvorak driver, so you don't actually need custom keyboards. That driver is what I use on my laptop when I'm not at home; at home, I use a switchable Kinesis keyboard on all of my machines, so I don't need that driver.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:14 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:56 pm
Libertarian666 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:11 pm
vnatale wrote:

Vinny
This forum certainly gets me looking up some new things I never heard of! I'd never heard of the NMSQT prior to reading what you just wrote. It seems like it is a new (?) thing and is the PSAT counterpart? So, is that what you took the PSAT? The same thing I took around 1966?
I never took the PSAT, just the SAT. The NMSQT at that time was a separate test used to qualify for National Merit Scholarships. Now it is the same as the PSAT.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:10 am

MangoMan wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:52 am
I could swear when I was a HS Junior (1977) it was one optional test called the PSAT/NMSQT that you took before the SAT and ACT.
Yes, I believe that was correct in 1977.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:24 am

More than you ever wanted to know about SAT and ACT tests. :)

https://www.erikthered.com/tutor/sat-act-history.html
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:38 am

Libertarian666 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:10 pm
vnatale wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:50 pm
Libertarian666 wrote:

Vinny
No, you can go back and forth if you want to. I never learned to touch-type on the QWERTY keyboard so that doesn't apply to me, but I understand from others that it isn't a big problem.

As for converting or replacing your keyboards, every version of Windows since 3.1 (I think) has had a Dvorak driver, so you don't actually need custom keyboards. That driver is what I use on my laptop when I'm not at home; at home, I use a switchable Kinesis keyboard on all of my machines, so I don't need that driver.
I understand that you CAN go back and forth. But it seems like it'd be totally confusing to go back and forth. Seems like you have to maintain a commitment to one or the other.

And, it seems like I'd need to see where the letters are on my physical keyboards even if I am touch typing?

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:39 am

MangoMan wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:52 am
I could swear when I was a HS Junior (1977) it was one optional test called the PSAT/NMSQT that you took before the SAT and ACT.
I took the PSAT in 10th grade. And, the SATs three times. Maybe all three times my junior year? Where I grew up we had no knowledge of the ACT and I don't think I even heard about it until the ACTs until decade(s) after high school.

Vinny