Is Trump doing a good job?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

User avatar
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3952
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:56 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: Is Trump doing a good job?

Post by vnatale » Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:53 am

Lonestar wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:45 am
Everyday there is a new Trump allegation. A new and different one each day. I'm not inferring they are true or false, but people are looking for anything to possibly discredit the president. Yesterday it was Trump's disrespect for fallen soldiers.

Today's Drudge Report has this content in an article:

"But Trump’s former national security adviser, John Bolton, said that while he hadn’t heard the remarks himself, they sounded like something the president would say.

This is a very important political issue for Trump and he’s in a difficult position at this point,” Bolton said Friday in a Bloomberg Radio interview. “I have not heard anybody say, ‘Oh, that doesn’t sound like the Donald Trump I know.’”


So now we are brainwashing the public into believing something is true because "it sounds like something someone would say". If the main stream media successfully integrates this form of journalism we are doomed to never hear the real truth about anything!
I have a different take on it.

It all revolves around having a reputation and how well you either uphold yours or tarnish it.

You I ever discover someone has lied to me then that person will NEVER get the benefit of the doubt from me in the future. In my case, I always want to be trusted so I will not tell a lie to anyone.

Trump has developed a certain reputation, which he has to live with. Therefore, in the above cases, is it any wonder he does not get the benefit of the doubt?

To put it another way, Bolton is an arch conservative. If the same allegation had been made about Obama, would Bolton have given the same response? I don't think so because there would be no basis in Obama's reputation for said anything remotely similar to what Trump has alleged to have said. How far is it a stretch to believe that Trump said what he said it the light of how well documented it is what he said about McCain?

Vinny
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 613
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:04 am

Re: Is Trump doing a good job?

Post by flyingpylon » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:03 am

vnatale wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:53 am
Lonestar wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:45 am
Everyday there is a new Trump allegation. A new and different one each day. I'm not inferring they are true or false, but people are looking for anything to possibly discredit the president. Yesterday it was Trump's disrespect for fallen soldiers.

Today's Drudge Report has this content in an article:

"But Trump’s former national security adviser, John Bolton, said that while he hadn’t heard the remarks himself, they sounded like something the president would say.

This is a very important political issue for Trump and he’s in a difficult position at this point,” Bolton said Friday in a Bloomberg Radio interview. “I have not heard anybody say, ‘Oh, that doesn’t sound like the Donald Trump I know.’”


So now we are brainwashing the public into believing something is true because "it sounds like something someone would say". If the main stream media successfully integrates this form of journalism we are doomed to never hear the real truth about anything!
I have a different take on it.

It all revolves around having a reputation and how well you either uphold yours or tarnish it.

You I ever discover someone has lied to me then that person will NEVER get the benefit of the doubt from me in the future. In my case, I always want to be trusted so I will not tell a lie to anyone.

Trump has developed a certain reputation, which he has to live with. Therefore, in the above cases, is it any wonder he does not get the benefit of the doubt?

To put it another way, Bolton is an arch conservative. If the same allegation had been made about Obama, would Bolton have given the same response? I don't think so because there would be no basis in Obama's reputation for said anything remotely similar to what Trump has alleged to have said. How far is it a stretch to believe that Trump said what he said it the light of how well documented it is what he said about McCain?

Vinny
Your approach might work for average people, but not those willing to take on a political establishment that colludes with the media to actively promote false narratives against them.

Trump's beef with McCain was with McCain as an individual, perhaps rightfully so.
User avatar
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2211
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:28 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: Is Trump doing a good job?

Post by Cortopassi » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:51 am

Vinny, it doesn’t matter anymore.

If 4 star general John Kelly comes out and said I was one of the sources, and verifies he said it, it will not matter. It’s revenge, payback, he’s working for the other side, etc...all that will be the reasons Kelly brought this up now.

Even if the underlying comments are 100% true, does it, would it, change any Trump supporter minds even on this forum? Tech?

I suspect no.
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 613
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:04 am

Re: Is Trump doing a good job?

Post by flyingpylon » Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:11 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:51 am
Vinny, it doesn’t matter anymore.

If 4 star general John Kelly comes out and said I was one of the sources, and verifies he said it, it will not matter. It’s revenge, payback, he’s working for the other side, etc...all that will be the reasons Kelly brought this up now.

Even if the underlying comments are 100% true, does it, would it, change any Trump supporter minds even on this forum? Tech?

I suspect no.
It's also true that there is no amount of credible sources sufficient to refute a false narrative about Trump for those that want to believe it. So there we are.

This latest flap about the military is obviously a coordinated political hit. They even had ads ready to go from the moment it was launched. There will be more, I'm sure... each one more desperate than the last.
User avatar
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2211
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:28 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: Is Trump doing a good job?

Post by Cortopassi » Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:57 am

flyingpylon wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:11 am
Cortopassi wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:51 am
Vinny, it doesn’t matter anymore.

If 4 star general John Kelly comes out and said I was one of the sources, and verifies he said it, it will not matter. It’s revenge, payback, he’s working for the other side, etc...all that will be the reasons Kelly brought this up now.

Even if the underlying comments are 100% true, does it, would it, change any Trump supporter minds even on this forum? Tech?

I suspect no.
It's also true that there is no amount of credible sources sufficient to refute a false narrative about Trump for those that want to believe it. So there we are.

This latest flap about the military is obviously a coordinated political hit. They even had ads ready to go from the moment it was launched. There will be more, I'm sure... each one more desperate than the last.
Yeah. Even if there was a tape, or a video, nowadays, there is always the suspect of it being doctored. It literally has to be caught live by millions nowadays.

But, I do agree with Vinny, after 3.5 years of Trump and the way he conducts himself and how he speaks, it would easily be more believable that he said something like that, vs. say, anyone on this forum.

When he said this a million years ago, most of us were reasonably shocked. Nowadays, not so much.

“He’s not a war hero,” said Trump. “He was a war hero because he was captured. I like people who weren’t captured.”
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 613
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:04 am

Re: Is Trump doing a good job?

Post by flyingpylon » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:21 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:57 am
flyingpylon wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:11 am
Cortopassi wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:51 am
Vinny, it doesn’t matter anymore.

If 4 star general John Kelly comes out and said I was one of the sources, and verifies he said it, it will not matter. It’s revenge, payback, he’s working for the other side, etc...all that will be the reasons Kelly brought this up now.

Even if the underlying comments are 100% true, does it, would it, change any Trump supporter minds even on this forum? Tech?

I suspect no.
It's also true that there is no amount of credible sources sufficient to refute a false narrative about Trump for those that want to believe it. So there we are.

This latest flap about the military is obviously a coordinated political hit. They even had ads ready to go from the moment it was launched. There will be more, I'm sure... each one more desperate than the last.
Yeah. Even if there was a tape, or a video, nowadays, there is always the suspect of it being doctored. It literally has to be caught live by millions nowadays.

But, I do agree with Vinny, after 3.5 years of Trump and the way he conducts himself and how he speaks, it would easily be more believable that he said something like that, vs. say, anyone on this forum.

When he said this a million years ago, most of us were reasonably shocked. Nowadays, not so much.

“He’s not a war hero,” said Trump. “He was a war hero because he was captured. I like people who weren’t captured.”
I find the hundreds (thousands?) of photos, videos, articles, tweets, and corroboration from named first-hand sources about Trump's positive interactions with members of the military to be more believable than reports from anonymous sources "confirmed" by anonymous sources and coordinated with political campaign ads. But that's just me.
User avatar
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 6967
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Is Trump doing a good job?

Post by technovelist » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:43 pm

flyingpylon wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:21 am
Cortopassi wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:57 am
flyingpylon wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:11 am
Cortopassi wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:51 am
Vinny, it doesn’t matter anymore.

If 4 star general John Kelly comes out and said I was one of the sources, and verifies he said it, it will not matter. It’s revenge, payback, he’s working for the other side, etc...all that will be the reasons Kelly brought this up now.

Even if the underlying comments are 100% true, does it, would it, change any Trump supporter minds even on this forum? Tech?

I suspect no.
It's also true that there is no amount of credible sources sufficient to refute a false narrative about Trump for those that want to believe it. So there we are.

This latest flap about the military is obviously a coordinated political hit. They even had ads ready to go from the moment it was launched. There will be more, I'm sure... each one more desperate than the last.
Yeah. Even if there was a tape, or a video, nowadays, there is always the suspect of it being doctored. It literally has to be caught live by millions nowadays.

But, I do agree with Vinny, after 3.5 years of Trump and the way he conducts himself and how he speaks, it would easily be more believable that he said something like that, vs. say, anyone on this forum.

When he said this a million years ago, most of us were reasonably shocked. Nowadays, not so much.

“He’s not a war hero,” said Trump. “He was a war hero because he was captured. I like people who weren’t captured.”
I find the hundreds (thousands?) of photos, videos, articles, tweets, and corroboration from named first-hand sources about Trump's positive interactions with members of the military to be more believable than reports from anonymous sources "confirmed" by anonymous sources and coordinated with political campaign ads. But that's just me.
It's not just you.
Another nod to the most beautiful equation: e + 1 = 0
User avatar
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 6967
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Is Trump doing a good job?

Post by technovelist » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:47 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:51 am
Vinny, it doesn’t matter anymore.

If 4 star general John Kelly comes out and said I was one of the sources, and verifies he said it, it will not matter. It’s revenge, payback, he’s working for the other side, etc...all that will be the reasons Kelly brought this up now.

Even if the underlying comments are 100% true, does it, would it, change any Trump supporter minds even on this forum? Tech?

I suspect no.
Ok, let's suppose for the sake of argument that it's true.
What are my options?
1. A demented man who is under the thrall of extreme leftists and whose supporters in the media are saying that there will be civil war if he doesn't win in a landslide?
2. An asshole who says nasty things about people but has done a fairly good job as President?

That's an easy decision.
Another nod to the most beautiful equation: e + 1 = 0
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 409
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:12 pm

Re: Is Trump doing a good job?

Post by pp4me » Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:05 pm

I wouldn't doubt that Trump might have made some remarks that could be painted later in the way they are. The idea that soldiers lives were wasted in WW1 was a very common belief after the war, leading to the first "America First" anti-war movement. It took an attack by the Japanese at Pearl Harbor to put an end to it (we had to retaliate by invading Europe).

Similar things have been said about Korea, Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, etcetera. It's not an attack meant to disrespect those who died but an antiwar sentiment. It's just easily twisted to make it sound that way.

Same with not wanting to ride the helicopter because he would get his hair wet. I don't doubt he said that either but it was probably a joke.
User avatar
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3952
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:56 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: Is Trump doing a good job?

Post by vnatale » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:44 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:51 am
Vinny, it doesn’t matter anymore.

If 4 star general John Kelly comes out and said I was one of the sources, and verifies he said it, it will not matter. It’s revenge, payback, he’s working for the other side, etc...all that will be the reasons Kelly brought this up now.

Even if the underlying comments are 100% true, does it, would it, change any Trump supporter minds even on this forum? Tech?

I suspect no.
"t a campaign stop in Iowa on Saturday, Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump said he could shoot someone in public and still not lose any voters.

“They say I have the most loyal people — did you ever see that? Where I could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody, and I wouldn’t lose any voters.” he said. “It’s like incredible.”"

Vinny
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
User avatar
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3952
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:56 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: Is Trump doing a good job?

Post by vnatale » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:47 pm

flyingpylon wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:03 am
vnatale wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:53 am
Lonestar wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:45 am
Everyday there is a new Trump allegation. A new and different one each day. I'm not inferring they are true or false, but people are looking for anything to possibly discredit the president. Yesterday it was Trump's disrespect for fallen soldiers.

Today's Drudge Report has this content in an article:

"But Trump’s former national security adviser, John Bolton, said that while he hadn’t heard the remarks himself, they sounded like something the president would say.

This is a very important political issue for Trump and he’s in a difficult position at this point,” Bolton said Friday in a Bloomberg Radio interview. “I have not heard anybody say, ‘Oh, that doesn’t sound like the Donald Trump I know.’”


So now we are brainwashing the public into believing something is true because "it sounds like something someone would say". If the main stream media successfully integrates this form of journalism we are doomed to never hear the real truth about anything!
I have a different take on it.

It all revolves around having a reputation and how well you either uphold yours or tarnish it.

You I ever discover someone has lied to me then that person will NEVER get the benefit of the doubt from me in the future. In my case, I always want to be trusted so I will not tell a lie to anyone.

Trump has developed a certain reputation, which he has to live with. Therefore, in the above cases, is it any wonder he does not get the benefit of the doubt?

To put it another way, Bolton is an arch conservative. If the same allegation had been made about Obama, would Bolton have given the same response? I don't think so because there would be no basis in Obama's reputation for said anything remotely similar to what Trump has alleged to have said. How far is it a stretch to believe that Trump said what he said it the light of how well documented it is what he said about McCain?

Vinny
Your approach might work for average people, but not those willing to take on a political establishment that colludes with the media to actively promote false narratives against them.

Trump's beef with McCain was with McCain as an individual, perhaps rightfully so.
I am in the midst of reading the first of two books on Chappaquiddick that I will be reading.

At the time it happened Kennedy never fully disclosed all that went on. The media was on him relentlessly for this.

Was this an example of some political establishment colluding with the media in this? Or, was it some scrutiny that he justly deserved?

Vinny
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
Lonestar
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 178
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:56 pm

Re: Is Trump doing a good job?

Post by Lonestar » Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:08 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:53 am
Lonestar wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:45 am
Everyday there is a new Trump allegation. A new and different one each day. I'm not inferring they are true or false, but people are looking for anything to possibly discredit the president. Yesterday it was Trump's disrespect for fallen soldiers.

Today's Drudge Report has this content in an article:

"But Trump’s former national security adviser, John Bolton, said that while he hadn’t heard the remarks himself, they sounded like something the president would say.

This is a very important political issue for Trump and he’s in a difficult position at this point,” Bolton said Friday in a Bloomberg Radio interview. “I have not heard anybody say, ‘Oh, that doesn’t sound like the Donald Trump I know.’”


So now we are brainwashing the public into believing something is true because "it sounds like something someone would say". If the main stream media successfully integrates this form of journalism we are doomed to never hear the real truth about anything!
I have a different take on it.

It all revolves around having a reputation and how well you either uphold yours or tarnish it.

You I ever discover someone has lied to me then that person will NEVER get the benefit of the doubt from me in the future. In my case, I always want to be trusted so I will not tell a lie to anyone.

Trump has developed a certain reputation, which he has to live with. Therefore, in the above cases, is it any wonder he does not get the benefit of the doubt?

To put it another way, Bolton is an arch conservative. If the same allegation had been made about Obama, would Bolton have given the same response? I don't think so because there would be no basis in Obama's reputation for said anything remotely similar to what Trump has alleged to have said. How far is it a stretch to believe that Trump said what he said it the light of how well documented it is what he said about McCain?

Vinny
Well, your point is valid, but in the context of a presidential election I feel it's completely out of order to speculate on what one might or might not say.

There are lots of goofy things I suspect Trump could easily say. However, when a noted person such as Bolton speculates on this, MSNBC and CNN immediately report he has definitely said it. Based on Biden's history of gaffes, we could fabricate infinite numbers of potential "he could have possibly said" statements. That would be grossly unfair.
Post Reply