Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Is Trump doing a good job?

Post by Tortoise » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:15 pm

Trump Says U.S. Should Get Slice of TikTok Sale Price
“I did say that ‘If you buy it…a very sub­stan­tial por­tion of that price is go­ing to have to come into the Trea­sury of the United States, be­cause we’re mak­ing it pos­si­ble for this deal to hap­pen.’ Right now they don’t have any rights un­less we give it to them.”
Not sure I like this...
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:19 pm

@Cortopassi, would you personally be okay with living next door to a low-income housing development? Be totally honest.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:30 pm

Anybody who can afford a house in my suburban neighborhood is welcome regardless of race, religion, or national origin. Actually we have a very diverse community, my own household being half Asian. Next door neighbors are Indian and there is a Pakistani family a few doors down that owns the convenience store where I buy my beer.

If you can't afford it and the government has to build it for you and/or subsidize it then I would rather you lived elsewhere until you can afford it - because that's the one thing we still all have in common.

If that makes me some kind of bigot, then so be it.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:02 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:19 pm
@Cortopassi, would you personally be okay with living next door to a low-income housing development? Be totally honest.
I would not.

But I am not the president, and I'm not using that in an effort to scare people about what might be coming.

Apparently Joe Biden becoming president will cause:

--Undesirables to live next door to you
--No police
--Shitty health care
--A zero on the stock market
--Locusts

Trump is all about hyperbole and exaggeration. Very tired of it.

There are plenty of condos, apartments and lower cost houses in the city in which I live that could hopefully afford the same at least school opportunities without having to legislate it.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:19 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:02 pm
Tortoise wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:19 pm
I would not.

But I am not the president, and I'm not using that in an effort to scare people about what might be coming.

Apparently Joe Biden becoming president will cause:

--Undesirables to live next door to you
--No police
--Shitty health care
--A zero on the stock market
--Locusts

Trump is all about hyperbole and exaggeration. Very tired of it.

There are plenty of condos, apartments and lower cost houses in the city in which I live that could hopefully afford the same at least school opportunities without having to legislate it.
I don't like the hyperbole either but you can't be serious if you think it's only Trump who engages in it. Somewhere in this thread, or maybe another, I posted a picture of a flyer we have received in the mail 3 times accusing Trump of poisoning our drinking water. I think my favorite hyperbolic claim of all time was that Trump was already guilty of more deaths than Hitler, Stalin, and Mao COMBINED!

You can actually find this sort of thing going back all the way to the beginning of the republic. I too find it very ugly but it just seems to be the way politics works.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:41 pm

I like this one:

I hated all the things I had toiled for under the sun, because I must leave them to the one who comes after me. Who knows whether that person will be wise or foolish? Yet they will have control over all the fruit of my toil into which I have poured my effort and skill under the sun. . . Nothing is better for a man than to eat and drink and enjoy his work.
- Ecclesiastes
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:28 pm

I think I want mandatory clown service. Who do I have to vote for in the US to get it?
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:40 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:15 pm
Trump Says U.S. Should Get Slice of TikTok Sale Price
“I did say that ‘If you buy it…a very sub­stan­tial por­tion of that price is go­ing to have to come into the Trea­sury of the United States, be­cause we’re mak­ing it pos­si­ble for this deal to hap­pen.’ Right now they don’t have any rights un­less we give it to them.”
Not sure I like this...
I think it's called graft
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:01 am

Hey, Donnie, how do we get a piece of da action? You tellin' me we got control and we don't get a cut? Dat ain't gonna happen.

**It reminded me of one of my favorite original Star Trek episodes, A Piece of the Action. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Piece_o ... al_Series)

-----------------

It’s a little bit like the landlord-tenant [relationship]. Uh, without a lease, the tenant has nothing. So they pay what is called “key money” or they pay something. But the United States should be reimbursed, or should be paid a substantial amount of money because without the United States they don’t have anything, at least having to do with the 30%.

So, uh, I told him that. I think we are going to have, uh, maybe a deal is going to be made, it’s a great asset, it’s a great asset. But it’s not a great asset in the United States unless they have the approval of the United States.

So it’ll close down on September 15th, unless Microsoft or somebody else is able to buy it, and work out a deal, an appropriate deal, so the Treasury of the — really the Treasury, I suppose you would say, of the United States, gets a lot of money. A lot of money.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:39 pm

pugchief wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:28 pm
I think I want mandatory clown service. Who do I have to vote for in the US to get it?
You mean you’re not tired of it? 😂
RIP Ron Cobb (Daily Check-in Thread).
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:53 pm

Trump's stream of subconsciousness becomes a torrent in car-crash interview
John Crace

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... are_btn_tw
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:17 pm

vnatale wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:53 pm
Trump's stream of subconsciousness becomes a torrent in car-crash interview
John Crace

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... are_btn_tw
Have you come up with that list of actions that President Trump has taken that you find objectionable?
You keep posting stuff about how he talks and tweets, but still nothing in the realm of action.
Is that because you don't have anything?
Another nod to the most beautiful equation: e + 1 = 0