Is Trump doing a good job?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Is Trump doing a good job?

Post by vnatale »

Cortopassi wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:04 pm Ah, the death knell.

Last week, the president told Fox News Dr Fauci was "a nice man but he's made a lot of mistakes"

Soon, Fauci will be a low IQ individual and in retirement.
For me that is the equivalent of a basketball discussion wherein someone says, "Michael Jordan, LeBron James. Okay players. But I cannot make any room for either of them on my team."

Just as each of them are generational players that is the stature he holds in his field.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

vnatale wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:03 pm

Last week, the president told Fox News Dr Fauci was "a nice man but he's made a lot of mistakes"

For me that is the equivalent of a basketball discussion wherein someone says, "Michael Jordan, LeBron James. Okay players. But I cannot make any room for either of them on my team."

Just as each of them are generational players that is the stature he holds in his field.

Vinny
Just curious how you know about his stature in his field?
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi »

Xan wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:19 pm

Vinny
https://www.niaid.nih.gov/about/anthony-s-fauci-md-bio

Good enough?

I should now add what was going to be part of my original post but I didn’t want too much blowback or TDS accusations.

Here is what I was going to say. “It is amazing that so many people made it so high in their fields: CEOs, generals, doctors, scientists, by sheer luck and lack of skill that it took the Donald to call them out that they were actually low IQ and dumb as rocks.” <sarc>
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

Cortopassi wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:52 pm

Vinny

Good enough?

I should now add what was going to be part of my original post but I didn’t want too much blowback or TDS accusations.

Here is what I was going to say. “It is amazing that so many people made it so high in their fields: CEOs, generals, doctors, scientists, by sheer luck and lack of skill that it took the Donald to call them out that they were actually low IQ and dumb as rocks.” <sarc>
There are plenty of smart people who are completely untrustworthy.
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 »

I know plenty of smart people who think that big government can solve all known problems. In fact big government creates many more problems than it solves, but that doesn't stop a lot of smart people from believing it.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

stuper1 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:36 pm I know plenty of smart people who think that big government can solve all known problems. In fact big government creates many more problems than it solves, but that doesn't stop a lot of smart people from believing it.
“It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.”

― Upton Sinclair, I, Candidate for Governor: And How I Got Licked

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/21810- ... -something
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Vinny
From what I hear from others regarding him who are in the same field.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Cortopassi wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:52 pm

Vinny

Good enough?

Probably not! Plus, I think it left out that I also read somewhere that he graduated #1 in his class at Cornell. Finally, and most importantly for the two of us, he's a fellow Paisan!!! That ALONE gives me tons of creditability!

Vinny
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi »

That's right! You guys are underhandedly discriminating against us Italians! O0
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi »

Libertarian666 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:57 am
stuper1 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:36 pm I know plenty of smart people who think that big government can solve all known problems. In fact big government creates many more problems than it solves, but that doesn't stop a lot of smart people from believing it.
“It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.”

― Upton Sinclair, I, Candidate for Governor: And How I Got Licked

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/21810- ... -something
Fauci is 79 years old. I have a hard time believing money is a driving force for him anymore. I am sure he has multiple pensions.
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong »

I think that is sort of a common trait of smart people, experts and intellectuals? They look at life and people like pieces on a chess board and if you move them around in just the right way then everything falls into place. Their blind spot is seeing the unintended consequences and unseen costs of their actions.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Cortopassi wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:03 am That's right! You guys are underhandedly discriminating against us Italians! O0

This morning read in Trump's niece's book that Trump's father, Fred, was scandalized when in the 1950's the first Italian American family moved into his neighborhood!

Far cry from where I grew up in Rhode Island during the same time period. Just guessing, I'd say my neighborhood was 2/3's thoroughbred Italian, 5/18's Irish, and 1/18 all else.

You?

Vinny
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi »

vnatale wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:29 pm
Cortopassi wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:03 am That's right! You guys are underhandedly discriminating against us Italians! O0

This morning read in Trump's niece's book that Trump's father, Fred, was scandalized when in the 1950's the first Italian American family moved into his neighborhood!

Far cry from where I grew up in Rhode Island during the same time period. Just guessing, I'd say my neighborhood was 2/3's thoroughbred Italian, 5/18's Irish, and 1/18 all else.

You?

Vinny
Where I grew up? I almost 100% played with and knew no one who wasn't family or Italian, at least outside of school. Couple Polish kids next door, that was about it.
Last edited by Cortopassi on Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi »

Don't worry, this only stressed a few years of life out of these kids.

"The Trump administration has rescinded its policy that would bar international students who only take online courses from staying in the US, a federal judge announced Tuesday in Boston.

The decision comes a little over a week after Immigration and Customs Enforcement announced that students at schools offering only online courses due to the coronavirus pandemic would need to either leave the US or transfer schools.

One person familiar with the matter told CNN the White House has felt the blowback to the proposal and that some inside the West Wing believe it was poorly conceived and executed."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Cortopassi wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:14 pm
vnatale wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:29 pm

You?

Vinny
Where I grew up? I almost 100% played with and knew no one who wasn't family or Italian, at least outside of school. Couple Polish kids next door, that was about it.
I used to call Rhode Island "Little Italy" but it sounds like you definitely grew up in it!

However, when my junior high school team played a team from another city each kid playing in the game was Italian. It got diluted once we got to high school.

Vinny
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me »

Who knew he was even poisoning our drinking water? I had to cut off the picture of a child drinking from a glass of water to get this to fit in the scanner. I think this is actually the third one of these we've received in the mail.

Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

Political ads are always a stark reminder of how low the average person’s IQ is.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Tortoise wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:10 am Political ads are always a stark reminder of how low the average person’s IQ is.
Which is 100?

Also, the ads are aimed at the emotions, run on TV, and, in general, low information people.

Vinny
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me »

I was feeling a little depressed lately by the polls showing Biden way ahead but after listening to this interview I'm feeling more encouraged. If there are head to head debates in the fall (which there might not be), I don't see how Trump won't end up eating Biden's lunch.

For the record I have never listened to any speech that Donald Trump has ever given for the same reason I haven't listened to any presidential speech since maybe once or twice in the Reagan years - lots of noise and platitudes but zero useful information. Whenever I see Trump sit down for a one-on-one interview however, I'm amazed to see that he is much more of a thoughtful person than he is portrayed in the media.

So does Trump have narcissistic personality traits? For sure. So does Putin, Xi, Erdogan and any other leaders he mentioned here which I may have forgotten.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ma5uG7alUk
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

pp4me wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:53 pm I was feeling a little depressed lately by the polls showing Biden way ahead but after listening to this interview I'm feeling more encouraged. If there are head to head debates in the fall (which there might not be), I don't see how Trump won't end up eating Biden's lunch.

For the record I have never listened to any speech that Donald Trump has ever given for the same reason I haven't listened to any presidential speech since maybe once or twice in the Reagan years - lots of noise and platitudes but zero useful information. Whenever I see Trump sit down for a one-on-one interview however, I'm amazed to see that he is much more of a thoughtful person than he is portrayed in the media.

So does Trump have narcissistic personality traits? For sure. So does Putin, Xi, Erdogan and any other leaders he mentioned here which I may have forgotten.

Those describe all other presidential speeches. But NOT Trump's. He is extreme entertainment! Why else would someone like me, who'd never vote for him under any conditions, listen to his "speech" (plus all that surrounded it) three times in one day? Entertaining!

On election night when he gave his acceptance speech around 4 AM, though I was definitely not happy he'd won, nothing he said got me upset in the least. I told my friend, "This is going to be interesting." But following him was one of those typical Republicans who spouted the typical Republican line which succeeded in getting me all wound up and upset. But not at Trump. At that Republican.

Vinny
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy »

Vinny,

I know I come across as a jerk a lot. That is sort of my nature.

But I want to acknowledge that you are a solid thinker. You are the epitome of an "Examined Life". You do your research and you make conscious decisions. Nothing you do is by accident. I have enormous respect for that.

Too bad you're wrong so often :)
Just ribbing you. I wish more people inspected their life as closely as you do.

Mark
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Mark Leavy wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:08 pm Vinny,

But I want to acknowledge that you are a solid thinker. You are the epitome of an "Examined Life". You do your research and you make conscious decisions. Nothing you do is by accident. I have enormous respect for that.

Mark
Since I definitely respect your somewhat anti-lifestyle to mine (mine -- quite narrow, yours -- quite broad) on top of your obvious high intellect I consider the above TREMENDOUS praise! Thanks. Unexpected but high appreciated.

Vinny
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

vnatale wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:22 pm

Mark
Since I definitely respect your somewhat anti-lifestyle to mine (mine -- quite narrow, yours -- quite broad) on top of your obvious high intellect I consider the above TREMENDOUS praise! Thanks. Unexpected but high appreciated.

Vinny
Vinny, just hope that Mark was not "high" when he gave you that praise. Then you would have to change TREMENDOUS to HORRENDOUS. ;D

FWIW, I think you think things through too.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Mountaineer wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:22 am
vnatale wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:22 pm

Mark

Vinny
Vinny, just hope that Mark was not "high" when he gave you that praise. Then you would have to change TREMENDOUS to HORRENDOUS. ;D

FWIW, I think you think things through too.
Thank you Mountaineer. Getting to know you somewhat through here makes me also appreciate that from you.

Vinny
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me »

Libertarian666 wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:03 pm
pp4me wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:53 pm I was feeling a little depressed lately by the polls showing Biden way ahead but after listening to this interview I'm feeling more encouraged. If there are head to head debates in the fall (which there might not be), I don't see how Trump won't end up eating Biden's lunch.

The Democrats will do everything in their power to stop any such debate. They know that Biden can barely read from a teleprompter. One-on-one against Trump in an unscripted debate? It will be a TKO in the first round.
I believe this is why Biden just declared that Trump is our first true racist president. So now he has a reason not to debate him or even stand on the same stage with him. Just virtue signal yourself all the way to the white house.

Might even work.