Is Trump doing a good job?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Is Trump doing a good job?

Post by shekels »

Cortopassi wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:22 am I probably used the wrong word.

"We all have the same rights under the law" Sure. Let yourself believe that. In a perfect world, maybe. Not in practice. Unless all these black men as BSing everyone, they do not get treated equally, especially by police.

"If you think Life is being unfair and your "civil rights" are being abused, it may be where you live." I agree. I don't know why some of these bad areas aren't ghost towns and why people can't or are reluctant to leave.

Maybe i failed to make my point.
Sure I believe people have the same rights under the Law..
If there is a Law that gives a group more rights, I would like to hear it.
The problem I think you are referring to is WHO is, or is not enforcing/encroaching on those the rights .
That boils down to people.
The police have Rules just like everyone else.
When the Rules are violated who or what are the penalties?

Example:
I know I have The Second Amendment of the United States Constitution reads: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
So what does Infringed mean?

I do have a serious question if You or a Loved one are in a car that is being Vandalized.
Hit with bricks, clubs and people are trying to get into your car and you fear for your LIFE and that or your family.
Is it OK to drive away and possibly injure bystanders who are in the path.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels »

vnatale wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:22 pmCapture.JPG
If you look at voting by counties the map may look quite different.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

shekels wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:20 pm
Look different in what way?

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels »

vnatale wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:41 pm
shekels wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:20 pm
Look different in what way?

Vinny
Here you can find maps from 2016 election.
This is not to say that Biden wont prevail. It is just to show what has taken place by counties/precincts
and what the media is pitching to us now.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pol ... -election/
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem »

That map closely aligns with the polls I am seeing. That Texas and Georgia are close should be deeply alarming to team Trump.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged »

Couple of comments.

Trump is a poor extemporaneous speaker.
He has good, maybe excellent problem solving and decision making instincts but can't explain things very well. Think of Mayor Daley the elder. Think of how Daley would have been in the face of a relentless, hostile press, celebrities, media, mocking and all the rest. They are viciously attacking him 24/7, by the hordes. Yes, he says things that make us wince. Who wouldn't, at this point?

Damn I forgot the other one. Something that Cortopassi said. Enjoy some elevator music................

Okay, yes!
I think there has been a lot of progress in race relations. Just look back over the decades. And it will continue, but it takes time. Quite a bit of time. You can't shout or protest your way to better race relations. In fact I think that sets back the progress. Not even mentioning riots and looting. Now, all of those actions can change laws. Policing will change as a result of all of the unrest. As to how to improve relations, I think MLK and Gandhi had the right ideas.

For extra credit:
Let's realize that a lot of the violence has been instigated by the radical left, the types who want to overthrow the government, etc. They are always looking for a vehicle to hijack, and this one has been what they dream of. My point being, they've set back race relations and don't care. For them, worsening race relations is probably a net positive. Black people are often pawns in other peoples' chess games. I think it's happening now.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

I Shrugged wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:16 pm Couple of comments.

He has good, maybe excellent problem solving and decision making instincts but can't explain things very well.
Seems like a fair criticism.
You can't shout or protest your way to better race relations. In fact I think that sets back the progress. Not even mentioning riots and looting. Now, all of those actions can change laws. Policing will change as a result of all of the unrest. As to how to improve relations, I think MLK and Gandhi had the right ideas.

For extra credit:
Let's realize that a lot of the violence has been instigated by the radical left, the types who want to overthrow the government, etc. They are always looking for a vehicle to hijack, and this one has been what they dream of. My point being, they've set back race relations and don't care. For them, worsening race relations is probably a net positive. Black people are often pawns in other peoples' chess games. I think it's happening now.
I've been doing a bit of reading lately, and it was pretty wild to me how many similarities there are between 2020 and the peri-World War I years. Would you have guessed that suffragettes in Britain prior to WW I were bombing buildings and committing a ton of arson? I'd never heard about this little piece of history. And it was just like you said, the activists' violence was not effective; they changed the laws later on as their entire society was transformed by the war. Some of them assisted draft dodgers and remained pacifists, but some totally changed once the war started and became pretty big nationalists.

Another thing you can see similarities in is the Bolshevik revolution in Russia. It started with popular protests and looting and police unable to get it under control, and the Bolsheviks took advantage of the unrest (as Antifa is trying to do vis-à-vis the BLM protesters), began establishing councils (soviets) for trade unions, soldiers, and police (as BLM recently accomplished in Flint). Then of course they simply took over the government from the unpopular one and then began the bloody civil war, then they started disappearing people(including the son of one of the pacifists who had optimistically moved to the USSR after the war). Recall the PV reporting on Bernie Sanders' campaign staff musing about putting conservatives in gulags.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

I don't think so, no.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle »

Unfortunately humans don't compare their relative wealth and well being to their ancestors, or the world at large. I think many Americans are at least subconsciously cognizant that we have a pretty big disparity between the top and the bottom. I think the recent covid situation also touched on some nerves being that those on the frontlines in "essential" worker positions...namely retail and grocery workers are among some of the lowest paid positions. It's ironic that our economic system compensates the most essential workers the worst. So these demonstrations and their ensuing violence are not just an expression of frustration with police but with our larger system...and whether one disagrees or not it is at least understandable why some people might feel frustrated. The comparison to Bolshevik revolution isn't that far sstretched
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle »

Interesting short interview with Penn Jillette about his times working with Trump.

https://youtu.be/A-UK40_XkWw
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels »

Kriegsspiel wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:24 am
I Shrugged wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:16 pm Couple of comments.

He has good, maybe excellent problem solving and decision making instincts but can't explain things very well.
Seems like a fair criticism.
You can't shout or protest your way to better race relations. In fact I think that sets back the progress. Not even mentioning riots and looting. Now, all of those actions can change laws. Policing will change as a result of all of the unrest. As to how to improve relations, I think MLK and Gandhi had the right ideas.

For extra credit:
I've been doing a bit of reading lately, and it was pretty wild to me how many similarities there are between 2020 and the peri-World War I years. Would you have guessed that suffragettes in Britain prior to WW I were bombing buildings and committing a ton of arson? I'd never heard about this little piece of history. And it was just like you said, the activists' violence was not effective; they changed the laws later on as their entire society was transformed by the war. Some of them assisted draft dodgers and remained pacifists, but some totally changed once the war started and became pretty big nationalists.

Another thing you can see similarities in is the Bolshevik revolution in Russia. It started with popular protests and looting and police unable to get it under control, and the Bolsheviks took advantage of the unrest (as Antifa is trying to do vis-à-vis the BLM protesters), began establishing councils (soviets) for trade unions, soldiers, and police (as BLM recently accomplished in Flint). Then of course they simply took over the government from the unpopular one and then began the bloody civil war, then they started disappearing people(including the son of one of the pacifists who had optimistically moved to the USSR after the war). Recall the PV reporting on Bernie Sanders' campaign staff musing about putting conservatives in gulags.
Flint has been Understaffed for YEARS.
It came to the point where I had 100,00 citizens in this city that we had to try to protect and I had five officers on any give shift to protect them," Johnson said. "If one of those officers called off sick or took a day off, then I had to hold somebody on overtime."

Flint city population has shrank along with it's size.
Flint MI Crime Rate
Attachments
mi-population-2020-06-07-macrotrends-1.jpeg
mi-population-2020-06-07-macrotrends-1.jpeg (145.37 KiB) Viewed 5244 times
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels »

I Shrugged wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:16 pm

For extra credit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9NBscCE8Ac
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Kriegsspiel wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:24 am Another thing you can see similarities in is the Bolshevik revolution in Russia. It started with popular protests and looting and police unable to get it under control, and the Bolsheviks took advantage of the unrest
There’s a great piece on that in the WSJ’s opinion section (where my current sig comes from).
{One striking difference from LA ‘92} is the rationalization, and sometimes full-throated defense, of violence from left-wing elites: the glorification of havoc, the vilification of cops and their middle-class admirers, highfalutin defenses of vandalism. The sense of revolution and class warfare was everywhere this week: the cognoscenti and underclass arrayed against the petty bourgeois shop owners; the elite and those they claim to represent against everybody else.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/violent-pr ... 1591400422
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

doodle wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:58 am It's ironic that our economic system compensates the most essential workers the worst.
That’s because compensation, like most goods and services, is generally based on supply and demand, not the distinction of “essential” vs. “non-essential.”

Many “essential” workers don’t make much money because they are so easily replaced by other workers with the same skill set.

Water is one of the most essential substances on this planet, yet it’s very cheap for us because it’s very plentiful. Should we raise its price significantly to reflect the fact that it’s so essential?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Do you approve or disapprove of the way Donald Trump is handling his job as president?

https://civiqs.com/results/approve_pres ... ign=ticker
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Colin Powell: Trump lies 'all the time'
Microsoft News · 1 hr ago · by CNN

https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/other/c ... i-BB15a46D
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle »

Libertarian666 wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:10 pm
vnatale wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:22 pm Colin Powell: Trump lies 'all the time'

Imagine my shock that a Democrat general would claim that Trump lies!
And next time, maybe you should quote Pravda instead of the Cartoon News Network. They're probably much more objective about Trump.
He was career long Republican until the party lost its mind
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle »

Trump does lie alot.(or is horribly misinformed)..that is an objective statistic.
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 »

vnatale wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:22 pm Colin Powell: Trump lies 'all the time'

That's very rich coming from a guy who could get up in front of the UN and completely mangle the truth with a straight face, taking us into a ridiculous war with Iraq.

Sure, Powell can get up and give a very grave performance, but that doesn't mean he's trustworthy at all. Have you read the book "War Is a Racket"? Anyone involved with that racket at the highest levels is likely an excellent liar. But we all trust him because he looks and sounds so trustworthy when he appears on TV, so if he says that Trump is a liar, then it must be true.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle »

Not sure where you guys get your news. Powell has spoken repeatedly about his presentation to UN calling it one of the most regrettable moments of his career. He was given bad data and presented it.

Where to start with Trump and his lies...lol. give me a minute...this going to be a loonnggg list
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle »

Is this too biased? Honestly picking out the instances when he spoke the truth would be a much shorter list....but nothing can convince Trumptards that the orange God king in his "great and unmatched wisdom" could ever speak falsehoods.

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/ ... ing=false
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle »

Is this any better...or still lamestream media lies?

I don't know why I even bother at this point...I'm laughing at my own foolishness for even trying .

https://www.factcheck.org/person/donald-trump/

Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem »

Libertarian666 wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:50 pm
doodle wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:49 pm Trump does lie alot.(or is horribly misinformed)..that is an objective statistic.
Let's have some examples. That should be very easy since there are so many.
Right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veracity_ ... nald_Trump
Last edited by Ad Orientem on Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 »

Trump is a politician. Of course he lies. Isn't that a given?

The only point I would make is that Biden also lies and Powell also lies.

The media only focuses on Trump's lies.
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem »

stuper1 wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:10 pm Trump is a politician. Of course he lies. Isn't that a given?

The only point I would make is that Biden also lies and Powell also lies.

The media only focuses on Trump's lies.

I would accept that most politicians will lie, or have done so at some point in their career. But Trump lies pervasively. And he does so about things both trivial and very serious. I am satisfied that Donald Trump is the most morally corrupt man ever to occupy the presidency. That doesn't make him the worst president. It's hard to top Buchanan or Wilson. But there is no doubt in my mind that he is morally, intellectually and temperamentally unqualified for any position of public trust.