Is Trump doing a good job?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 10443
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: Is Trump doing a good job?

Post by dualstow » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:56 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:11 am
If you listened to the 60 minutes interview of the woman he raped and read her story, Turner should have gotten much more than the time he did. If I was king...

I've been drunk many times in my college years and doing something like that never, ever, crossed my mind. And certainly not when sober. I really wonder how brains are wired to allow yourself to do something like that.

I can certainly see me killing someone in self defense, or for another justified reason. But rape, man, I don't get it.

Back to Trump... could he in theory, go to a mic and say he's pardoning all 150K+ federal prisoners? Wonder what would happen. No obvious safeguard against that except a quick impeachment or assessment of incompetence or something. But if it takes effect the second it is said?
I sympathize with your position and I feel almost exactly the same *except* that the judge was then "tried" as if he were the rapist.He was recalled.
RIP Charlie Daniels
User avatar
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1894
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:23 pm
Contact:

Re: Is Trump doing a good job?

Post by Tyler » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:00 am

sophie wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:45 am
If you compare this to the 9 years that Roger Stone got...well, everyone is entitled to their opinion and following procedure is important, but I still think something is wrong with that picture.
The important detail most people are intentionally omitting is that the Stone prosecutors reportedly lied to their DOJ superiors about the sentence they were going to seek before unilaterally lengthening the recommended sentence in the official filing. Combine that with the mass resignation and fawning media coverage, and the entire episode feels like a scripted political stunt.

"The department was shocked to see the sentencing recommendation,” the official, who requested anonymity to speak about the department's internal deliberations, said. “This was not what had been briefed to the department and the department thinks the recommendation was extreme, excessive and grossly disproportionate to Stone’s offenses and the department will clarify its position later today at the court.”
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/prosecu ... d=68893294
Last edited by Tyler on Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mechanical engineer, history buff, treasure manager... totally not Ben Gates
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 10443
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: Is Trump doing a good job?

Post by dualstow » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:08 am

sophie wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:45 am
dualstow wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:53 am
vnatale wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:04 pm
dualstow wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:56 pm
I often think about the judge that presided over the Brock Turner rape case.
<snip>

It's been awhile since I read the details. But my best memory from having read those details is that the judge erred in his decision.
Incorrect.
Not so clear. The minimum sentence for the three counts of sexual assault was 2 years in prison, whereas the judge cut this to 6 months citing Turner's demeanor, lack of criminal record, and expressed remorse. The remorse part though was total fiction...he never admitted anything and in fact lied about the incident during the trial. In my book this should have disqualified him from getting any amount of leniency. And, (unlike the case with Brett Kavanaugh's accuser) the victim was evaluated in hospital under a rape protocol and there were injuries consistent with a non-consensual attack. There was also a perception that race and privilege played a role.
Yes, there was a perception that race and privilege played a role, hence the mob. This is the age we're living in. I think we can all agree that Turner is despicable. Even before but especially reading the words of Doe (real name now out), mafia justice even invades the mind.

But...the system. If it's a problem, rewrite the system. Don't recall a judge with a reputation for fairness and then wipe him out with legal fees for following a court recommendation when sentencing.

I see Cevallos' comments about it on wikipedia, but I'm still looking for the article I read on it that changed my perception.
RIP Charlie Daniels
User avatar
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 5972
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Is Trump doing a good job?

Post by technovelist » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:05 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:11 am
If you listened to the 60 minutes interview of the woman he raped and read her story, Turner should have gotten much more than the time he did. If I was king...

I've been drunk many times in my college years and doing something like that never, ever, crossed my mind. And certainly not when sober. I really wonder how brains are wired to allow yourself to do something like that.

I can certainly see me killing someone in self defense, or for another justified reason. But rape, man, I don't get it.

Back to Trump... could he in theory, go to a mic and say he's pardoning all 150K+ federal prisoners? Wonder what would happen. No obvious safeguard against that except a quick impeachment or assessment of incompetence or something. But if it takes effect the second it is said?
C'mon man, that's a rookie hypothetical!
What if Trump launched nukes against Nancy Pelosi's district? Now that's a serious hypothetical!
User avatar
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 5972
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Is Trump doing a good job?

Post by technovelist » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:06 pm

Kbg wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:33 am
How do you get a Trump pardon...be a rich disgraced criminal. I read the pardon list in the morning paper. I'm completely done with this guy.
You mean like this rich disgraced criminal? https://www.npr.org/2018/06/06/61751306 ... -in-prison

Or these? https://www.justice.gov/pardon/pardons- ... #Feb182020

Just going by that list, I would say that most of those pardoned or whose sentences were commuted weren't rich.
User avatar
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1547
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 4:18 pm

Re: Is Trump doing a good job?

Post by Kbg » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:28 pm

technovelist wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:06 pm
Kbg wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:33 am
How do you get a Trump pardon...be a rich disgraced criminal. I read the pardon list in the morning paper. I'm completely done with this guy.
You mean like this rich disgraced criminal? https://www.npr.org/2018/06/06/61751306 ... -in-prison

Or these? https://www.justice.gov/pardon/pardons- ... #Feb182020

Just going by that list, I would say that most of those pardoned or whose sentences were commuted weren't rich.
Guess you should dig a little deeper...not saying none of the list was pardon worthy. However,

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/19/politics ... index.html

Granted, I'm not a CNN fan either so let's not argue over easily verifiable backgrounds.

But I will retract and rephrase my statement. How do you get a Trump pardon...usually be a rich disgraced criminal or have strong support from his far right base.
User avatar
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 5972
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Is Trump doing a good job?

Post by technovelist » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:23 am

Kbg wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:28 pm
technovelist wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:06 pm
Kbg wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:33 am
How do you get a Trump pardon...be a rich disgraced criminal. I read the pardon list in the morning paper. I'm completely done with this guy.
You mean like this rich disgraced criminal? https://www.npr.org/2018/06/06/61751306 ... -in-prison

Or these? https://www.justice.gov/pardon/pardons- ... #Feb182020

Just going by that list, I would say that most of those pardoned or whose sentences were commuted weren't rich.
Guess you should dig a little deeper...not saying none of the list was pardon worthy. However,

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/19/politics ... index.html

Granted, I'm not a CNN fan either so let's not argue over easily verifiable backgrounds.

But I will retract and rephrase my statement. How do you get a Trump pardon...usually be a rich disgraced criminal or have strong support from his far right base.
I consider the Babylon Bee a more reliable news source than CNN.
Yes, I know they aren't a news source at all.
User avatar
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1547
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 4:18 pm

Re: Is Trump doing a good job?

Post by Kbg » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:37 am

But facts are facts and these are easily verifiable...so I'll stick with my statement.
User avatar
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 5972
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Is Trump doing a good job?

Post by technovelist » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:34 am

Kbg wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:37 am
But facts are facts and these are easily verifiable...so I'll stick with my statement.
Which facts are you referring to? I don't see a pattern of "being a rich disgraced criminal or have strong support from his far right base" in these cases, even according to that CNN article:

1. Blagojevich: Republicans didn't want him pardoned, and as far as I know he isn't rich.
2. DeBartolo: Never got jail time and paid $1 million in fines for "failing to report a felony".
3. Milken: Is rich but was railroaded in my opinion and that of many other people.
4. Kerik: Not rich, and "According to a White House statement, the pardon was supported by Giuliani, Gallagher, New York Republican Rep. Peter King, presidential confidant and Newsmax CEO Chris Ruddy, as well as Fox News personalities Judge Andrew Napolitano and Geraldo Rivera. The pardon was also supported by Sidney Powell, the attorney for former National Security Adviser Michael Flynn." I don't think all of those people are part of Trump's "far right base", especially never-Trumper Napolitano and liberal Rivera.
5. Friedler: "pled guilty to conspiracy to access a protected computer without authorization", which doesn't sound like it should be a felony at all.
6. Pogue: "sentenced to three years of probation for underpaying his taxes by approximately 10% over a three year period". Ok, he's a political donor but again, why is this even a felony?
7. Safavian: "The presidential pardon for Safavian was supported by CNN's Van Jones, a criminal justice reform advocate, as well as American Conservative Union chairman and Trump ally Matt Schlapp, among others." Is Van Jones part of Trump's far right base?
8. Stanton: "her memoir details a "hustler's life of crime" alongside Real Housewives of Atlanta's Phaedra Parks." Also not far right.
9. Hall: "Hall was convicted on charges to distribute, possess, and manufacture crack cocaine, as well as possession of firearms, per the Justice Department." Far right or rich? I doubt it.
10. Munoz: "Munoz was found guilty and sentenced to conspiracy to possess with intent to distribute marijuana, according to court records." Is she far right or rich?
11. Negron: "Negron, a minority-owner of a mental health care company in Miami, Florida, was found guilty in 2011 on multiple counts of health care fraud and money laundering." Also not far right or rich as far as I can tell from that article.

Want to reconsider your position?
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 10443
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: Is Trump doing a good job?

Post by dualstow » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:16 pm

Richard Grenell, the crappy ambassador to Germany, is set to become Trump’s shitty Director of National Intelligence. Surely we can all agree that this is not a wise pick. Anyone disagree?
RIP Charlie Daniels
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 512
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:04 am

Re: Is Trump doing a good job?

Post by flyingpylon » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:13 pm

dualstow wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:16 pm
Richard Grenell, the crappy ambassador to Germany, is set to become Trump’s shitty Director of National Intelligence. Surely we can all agree that this is not a wise pick. Anyone disagree?
What specifically makes him crappy?

What actions will elevate him to shitty?
User avatar
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2585
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:28 pm

Re: Is Trump doing a good job?

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:37 pm

I've never heard of him.
Some 5500 years ago, before writing was invented to record it, the people of the city of Hamoukar, near rich copper mines, were subjected to the first known instance of urban warfare when an army from the city of Uruk attacked and fought their way through the streets, killing most everyone.
Post Reply