Is Trump doing a good job?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:48 pm

I didn’t want to put this in the “...Re-elected?” thread.

The new issue of Foreign Affairs is all about Trump’s mideast policies. Here are some excerpts from Martin Indyk’s essay, ‘Disaster in the Desert’:
The Trump administration likes to see itself as clear-eyed and tough-minded, a confronter of the hard truths others refuse to acknowledge. In fact, it understands so little about how the Middle East actually works that its bungling efforts have been a failure across the board. As so often in the past, the cynical locals are manipulating a clueless outsider, advancing their personal agendas at the naive Americans’ expense.

The Trump administration’s Middle East policies cannot possibly create a new, more stable regional order. But they will certainly do a good job of continuing the destruction of the old one, and risking all that it had gained. And this will fit neatly into Trump’s overall campaign to do away with the liberal international order in favor of the law of the jungle.
(paywalled)
https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles ... ter-desert

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Indyk
https://www.reddit.com/r/TactiCat
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Is Trump doing a good job?

Post by vnatale » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:14 pm

NOT doing a good job!

Which is easy to believe when you have the disastrous combination of being both unqualified and unwilling to be diligent at the job.

Vinny
dualstow wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:48 pm
I didn’t want to put this in the “...Re-elected?” thread.

The new issue of Foreign Affairs is all about Trump’s mideast policies. Here are some excerpts from Martin Indyk’s essay, ‘Disaster in the Desert’:
The Trump administration likes to see itself as clear-eyed and tough-minded, a confronter of the hard truths others refuse to acknowledge. In fact, it understands so little about how the Middle East actually works that its bungling efforts have been a failure across the board. As so often in the past, the cynical locals are manipulating a clueless outsider, advancing their personal agendas at the naive Americans’ expense.

The Trump administration’s Middle East policies cannot possibly create a new, more stable regional order. But they will certainly do a good job of continuing the destruction of the old one, and risking all that it had gained. And this will fit neatly into Trump’s overall campaign to do away with the liberal international order in favor of the law of the jungle.
(paywalled)
https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles ... ter-desert

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Indyk
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:42 pm

Not doing a good job

But Obama didn't do a good job

Bush W "Iraq has WMDs" kicking off never ending war, don't get me started

But at least they weren't neo-Nazi sympathizers
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:44 pm

For the damage inflicted on the country the incumbent has still not even come CLOSE to the what Obama's predecessor did!

Vinny
ochotona wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:42 pm
Not doing a good job

But Obama didn't do a good job

Bush W "Iraq has WMDs" kicking off never ending war, don't get me started

But at least they weren't neo-Nazi sympathizers
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:45 pm

Yes.
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:35 am

technovelist wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:45 pm
Yes.
well, explain in detail
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:38 am

I'm not certain whether ISIS fell apart on its own, or if something related the Obama and Trump administration policies, or perhaps the Syrian government, had an effect. The lack of horrific terrorist actions in Europe for the past two years has been refreshing.

Wouldn't you count that as a positive development? If your yardstick is the creation of peaceful governments and productive societies, then I suspect you're setting up for major disappointment no matter who is in office.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:53 am

I agree, Sophie, that they seem to be relegated to soft targets in Europe lately. I hope it lasts.
https://www.reddit.com/r/TactiCat
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:46 am

boglerdude wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:35 am
technovelist wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:45 pm
Yes.
well, explain in detail
Here's a brief summary:

The most significant thing about Trump that is very different from any other US President in my lifetime is that he has been faced with the following since the day he has been elected, all of which are still ongoing:

1. A coup attempt by the Deep State, the existence of which is now acknowledged even by the New York Times
2. Nonstop 24/7 attacks by the "mainstream media"
3. A completely unconstitutional fake "impeachment inquiry" that affords him none of the rights that the Republicans afforded Clinton and that the Democrats afforded Nixon
4. Obstruction by the Democrat-controlled House, even on legislation that they said they were going to pass (USMCA, for example)

And yet he has still accomplished quite a bit of what he promised his supporters when he ran for election in 2016, including but not limited to the following:

1. Reducing our involvement in overseas wars
2. Reducing red tape to make it easier to operate a business
3. Reducing tensions in Asia (North Korea)
4. Prison reform (The First Step Act)
5. Nominating originalist federal judges
6. The lowest unemployment rate among all minorities since records have been kept

I think with this record and the Democrats' complete lack of achievements during their tenure as the majority in the House, he will be re-elected in a landslide of epic proportions.
shekels

Post by shekels » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:28 am

Good Job in what specifically or in General?

YES and NO is my answer.

The thing I like about Trump is he has taken a Very Bright Light and has shown that our Government/Media truly is CORRUPT..

Like it or not.
What do Christmas lights and Jeffrey Epstein have in common?
They don’t hang themselves.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:30 am

While acknowledging all of Technovelist's points, Trump's accomplishments have included virtually nothing in the area of individual liberties or, for that matter, the defense of basic constitutional principles. His pursuit of strategic alliances between the government and Big Tech, and the accelerating roll-out of technologies designed to give goverrnment cradle-to-grave control over the lives of individual citizens, frankly alarms me. Although Trump appears to be the most benign of the options presently before us, I have not discounted the possibility that he's merely acting on behalf and for the benefit of a different faction of elites--one whose objective is to replace our traditional republican form of government with a pervasive global technocracy. [EDIT: I wasn't aware until recently that "technocracy" is a bona fide political philosophy that began to gain traction in the 1930s. It was, and is, based upon the premise that governance by the best and the brightest will always be superior to what can be achieved through a representative democracy. Notably, the idea of "the best and the brightest" has in recent years been supplanted by the idea of a society controlled by artificial intelligence and the melding AI with biological systems. . . .]

Also, it's distressing to me that we've heard absolutely nothing from Trump on the subject of FASAB 56, which effectively took all of the government's accounting records dark.
Last edited by Maddy on Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
drumminj
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by drumminj » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:32 am

shekels wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:28 am
The thing I like about Trump is he has taken a Very Bright Light and has shown that our Government/Media truly is CORRUPT..
Agreed. His presidency is worthwhile for this alone.