Syria

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

jacksonm2

Syria

Post by jacksonm2 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:26 pm

It's really hard to figure out what is going on over there what with Turkey, the Kurds, Isis, Assad, etcetera. Damn if I can figure any of it out. Does anyone here really understand a bit of it?

What I do wonder about is why in the hell is the whole goddamn thing the problem of the U.S. taxpayer? Thinking about the global map I see lots of allied countries with armies closer than we are, namely France, Germany, Great Britain, Saudi Arabia, and Israel just to name a few.

I think lots of Americans are finally starting to figure this all out and Donald Trump knows it.
Last edited by jacksonm2 on Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Syria

Post by boglerdude » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:36 pm

We cant get correct info about most geopolitical situations. Wish we could. So I dont feel a moral obligation to have an opinion on Palestine for example

I dont mind that the global police force is employed by us, though. Id rather have Germany pay us a bit for security services, than they have their own tanks ;)

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/201 ... eddit.html
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:17 am

boglerdude wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:36 pm
We cant get correct info about most geopolitical situations. Wish we could. So I dont feel a moral obligation to have an opinion on Palestine for example

I dont mind that the global police force is employed by us, though. Id rather have Germany pay us a bit for security services, than they have their own tanks ;)

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/201 ... eddit.html
It's not unreasonable to assert that a willingness to engage in profitable military force obligates you morally to know what's going on. Or, put another way, that if you can't get the facts straight, defaulting to not engaging in profitable military force is the only moral option.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:59 pm

We elected various Representatives, Senators, Governors, Mayors, State, County and City Reps and the President. Let them do their jobs without all the second guessing. I expect they know more about what is really going on than we armchair "want to be in charge regardless because we self proclaimed inwardly focused 'I' types know best" - and yes, that might include me :) . If you don't like the results, do your research and vote for someone else next time. Support those who we collectively elected and stop bitching. If the world goes to crap in the meantime, there is not much we can do about it other than pray we are not among those who will be weeping outside the gate with gnashing teeth. As for me, I try to stay focused on the ONLY thing of ultimate importance and tune out the distractions including the so called news. Hug your family members and tell them you love them frequently, help those who need help, smile at everyone ... and have a great day. It's all good. 8)
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:41 pm

Trump and the military/intelligence services know the most of anyone, and there are many varied opinions, I don't think the issue is knowledge, it's just different opinions and perspectives. Some general might say, "hey, if we leave them to their own devices, ISIS is going to take over and train people to come here and attack us like 9/11." And some intelligence guy might say "hey, if we leave it up to chance, Russia/Turkey/Iran/someone else is going to expand and that would be bad for these reasons..." And Trump might say, "Who cares what they're doing over there, fuck em, it's not our problem."

To combine what Mountaineer and moda said, we have people who's job it is to be working on this stuff. They should need to convince us to attack, if that's what they think is the correct course of action.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
jacksonm2

Post by jacksonm2 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:33 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:41 pm
Trump and the military/intelligence services know the most of anyone, and there are many varied opinions, I don't think the issue is knowledge, it's just different opinions and perspectives. Some general might say, "hey, if we leave them to their own devices, ISIS is going to take over and train people to come here and attack us like 9/11." And some intelligence guy might say "hey, if we leave it up to chance, Russia/Turkey/Iran/someone else is going to expand and that would be bad for these reasons..." And Trump might say, "Who cares what they're doing over there, fuck em, it's not our problem."

To combine what Mountaineer and moda said, we have people who's job it is to be working on this stuff. They should need to convince us to attack, if that's what they think is the correct course of action.
One of the things I heard Trump say was that he didn't want the ISIS prisoners that they are apparently holding to be our problem, especially since many were refugees that had sought and gained asylum in Europe before returning to join the war to establish the Caliphate. He said he wanted those countries to take them back but their attitude seemed to be that we should take them to Guantanamo Bay to house them indefinitely since we seem to like that sort of thing at U.S. taxpayer expense. (I'm paraphrasing like Adam Schiff but that's the way I heard it).

Say what you will about Trump and I'm getting pretty sick of his mouth that never shuts up myself, but he's more of a businessman looking at the bottom line than anyone else we've had in the office in our lifetime. He has to be thinking what we could have done with those few trillion dollars spent over there already and realizing it's why we can't have nice things over here, including securing our own border, despite all the money we have.

If we are really convinced that those ISIS prisoners will end up coming over here to kill Americans I can think of a better and more permanent solution to that problem.