Did you see Joker? What did you think of it?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Did you see Joker? What did you think of it?

Post by Smith1776 »

I'm sure many people on the board have had to have watched it by now. I absolutely loved the film. I've seen it twice, and will probably see it a third time very soon.

The movie was crazy good in just about every way. Unsettling, insightful, and disturbingly tactful at making you empathize with someone who is essentially a serial killer. It seemed like there were easter eggs in pretty much every scene, too.

Some don't think it's as praiseworthy as I do, but others think even more so than me. What do you think about the movie?
💻 DITM 📚
🛞 www.allterraininvesting.com 🛞
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Did you see Joker? What did you think of it?

Post by Tortoise »

I saw it last week and thought it was an outstanding film.

Great character development, interesting symbolism and metaphors, and an amazing performance by Joaquin Phoenix.

I also felt that it wasn't too overtly preachy politically, which is rare in movies these days.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

I haven’t seen it yet, but I rewatched ‘Taxi Driver’ as preparation.
🍍
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle »

Saw it last night. Sat next to five year old kid..great parental judgement that one. :o

I thought it was very well done. A bit slow at times but you definitely walked out of the theater feeling something. I thought it was an especially dangerous film however in that by making the Joker an anti-hero has the potential to influence people to lash out in violent ways.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

doodle wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:56 pm Saw it last night. Sat next to five year old kid..great parental judgement that one. :o

😂
🍍
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

doodle wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:56 pmSaw it last night. Sat next to five year old kid..great parental judgement that one. :o
As the parent of a five year old kid, this is utterly horrifying.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

doodle wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:56 pm Saw it last night. Sat next to five year old kid..great parental judgement that one. :o
Dang, doodle. Disturbing.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Tortoise wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:53 pm
Dang, doodle. Disturbing.
Wang dang doodle?
🍍
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 »

Xan wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:53 am
doodle wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:56 pmSaw it last night. Sat next to five year old kid..great parental judgement that one. :o
Wow I assumed you were older... must be the "wise old man" vibe I get from ya...

Don't worry though, I had a much older brother, so I saw Die Hard, Alien, and Silence of the Lambs by the time I was 8. And look how I turned out!! O0 :o
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

I took a 7 year old girl to see First Blood aka Rambo.

As we were walking in with the prior audience walking out, a hippy looking type male said to me, "This is no movie for a kid." I just kept going while he shook his head as he watched us keeping on going. What was in my mind was, "You don't know what this kid as already seen in real life. Like her mother lunging at her father with a knife." However, at the point when Rambo was self-stitching himself, which was a quite bloody scene, she turned to me and said, "Give me money so I can go to the game room." Which I did and off she went to play in the game room.

Vinny
moda0306 wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:14 am
Xan wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:53 am
Wow I assumed you were older... must be the "wise old man" vibe I get from ya...

Don't worry though, I had a much older brother, so I saw Die Hard, Alien, and Silence of the Lambs by the time I was 8. And look how I turned out!! O0 :o
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

moda0306 wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:14 am
Xan wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:53 am As the parent of a five year old kid, this is utterly horrifying.
Technically, Xan could be old and still have a 5-year-old kid -- if he adopted, or if his wife is a lot younger ;)