Baseball?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Baseball?

Post by pmward » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:42 pm

Rumor has it that MLB is considering having the entire MLB season here in AZ this year, using our 10 spring training stadiums to play the games for all teams without crowds. Good luck to them, as most of those stadiums are not cooled like Chase Field, haha.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:15 pm

pmward wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:42 pm
Rumor has it that MLB is considering having the entire MLB season here in AZ this year, using our 10 spring training stadiums to play the games for all teams without crowds. Good luck to them, as most of those stadiums are not cooled like Chase Field, haha.
On a New York Yankees email list I'm on one poster estimated that there would have to be at least 1,200 people involved for the teams to play. Just one of those 1,200 gets the virus and then.....

Vinny
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:22 pm

Oscar Gamble is a treasure in Yankee lore. He batted .379 in a season inthe late 1970s and hit with power. What fabulous memories. He was traded but came back for an encore several years later.

Vinny,

Did you meet the Big O? Was that your photo?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:58 pm

bedraggled wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:22 pm
Oscar Gamble is a treasure in Yankee lore. He batted .379 in a season inthe late 1970s and hit with power. What fabulous memories. He was traded but came back for an encore several years later.

Vinny,

Did you meet the Big O? Was that your photo?
Not my pictures and never met him.

He once said, why did the Yankees acquire Reggie, I hit just as well as him.

And, I believe that in 1976 he did!

Vinny
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:45 pm

Yes it was in 1976. Oscar could hit. For some reason 23 home runs resonates.
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:14 pm

Steroids prevents me from moving beyond Aaron. I watched the Yankees with Clemens and Giambi. Two guys who are a poor memory in the sport.

Aaron did need 2,000 more ABs and an extra 8 games per season to go after Ruth.

I did see Aaron hit back-to-back HRs at Shea Stadium, 7/8/73, against pitcher Steve Stone of the Mets.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:46 pm

Steroids are awesome in professional sports. Pitchers throw hard as fuck, home runs go into the neighboring county, linebackers produce as much force as an F-16. Everything is just better.
There's this very disturbing set of studies where about half the articles printed in Science and Nature magazines, the two leading publications, involved experiments that could not be repeated by anybody.
- Peter Thiel
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:22 am

Kriegs,

Excellent comment about linebackers and F-16s. Refrigerator Perry of the Chicago Bears isn't worth mentioning now. I heard said the 1968 Packers Super Bowl offensive and defensive linemen would be considered a bunch of runts today: 245 pounds!?!? Egad! Question: orthopedically speaking, do these lineman have a grim future? (And this is the Baseball thread)!

Speaking of 1968, along with seeing Aaron hit 2 in 1973, I saw Mantle hit 521 tying Ted Williams on 4/26/68. Box seats, 2 rows from the Yankee dugout by the batting circle, were quite nice. Box seats then were $4 per. These 4 seats were given to us. Otherwise it was upper deck for $1.25. Bleachers were 50 cents.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:48 am

bedraggled wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:22 am
Kriegs,

Excellent comment about linebackers and F-16s.
PREEN
I heard said the 1968 Packers Super Bowl offensive and defensive linemen would be considered a bunch of runts today: 245 pounds!?!? Egad! Question: orthopedically speaking, do these lineman have a grim future? (And this is the Baseball thread)!
Skoronski: 6'3 245
Gillingham 6'3 255
Bowman 6'3 230
Kramer 6'3 245
Gregg 6'4 250

Yea, if you used a time machine and physically transported these guys from 1968 to now, they'd be very small for offensive linemen. But if you had magicked their pregnant mom and dad forward to the year 2000, there's NO DOUBT these guys would all be 6'7 290-315 monster 20 year-olds destined for a great career in the NFL. Maybe they had genetics to be a modern tight end (6'6 ~250) if not a lineman.
There's this very disturbing set of studies where about half the articles printed in Science and Nature magazines, the two leading publications, involved experiments that could not be repeated by anybody.
- Peter Thiel
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:55 pm

I was thinking of "launch angle" angle today. I am retired but it wasn't on the to do list. Seems if these "hitters don't get the perfect 2 strike pitch to launch it to the next county, they take it for strike three. This is baseball? No DH discussion today, lads and lasses.

Let's move on to DJ Lamemahieu, Yankee infielder. The guy is a magician with the bat. He hits it where it's pitched, drives the ball, takes advantage of defense and doesn't ponder the glories of launch angle. Came close to MVP last year. How did Colorado let him escape? I came back for Aaron Judge and stayed for DJ.
These strike outs!!! It ain't baseball. But they said that in 1920 when Ruth hit 54 HRs. BTW, I went to both of Ruth's apartment buildings in Manhattan. It's not possible to get past the doormen but I did tell one doorman he was working in a sacred space.

Oh, Pug,

Your Cubs should not have sent Gleybar Torres to the Yankees but thanks. You did have Bobby Murcer few a couple of good years, though.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:15 pm

bedraggled wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:55 pm

Your Cubs should not have sent Gleybar Torres to the Yankees but thanks.
WHAT a price to pay to win just ONE World Series then quickly dropping from being one of the elite teams.

Vinny
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:43 am

bedraggled wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:55 pm

Oh, Pug,

Your Cubs should not have sent Gleybar Torres to the Yankees but thanks. You did have Bobby Murcer few a couple of good years, though.
I'm way more worried about the Bears than the Cubs.