Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Baseball?

Post by vnatale »

barrett wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:08 am
vnatale wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:28 pm My question to those reading this is to tell me if you also don't know who Aaron Judge is. I don't want anyone telling us who he is. Just want to hear from those who have no idea who he is.
My daughter took me and my wife to a Yankees game in 2017 and Aaron Judge hit a dinger to left center that traveled about 475 feet. It was one of the longest home runs hit in the bigs that season. Neither of them knows who Aaron Judge is.

I grew up knowing all the players and most of their stats but don't find baseball interesting for more than about a half an inning now. For me sports have become less interesting because my understanding of randomness is now different.

That all being said, I'll definitely watch the NBA playoffs if they ever happen this year.
Can you further elaborate on that statement. Last year I had a long time period raging argument with a friend who contended there is no luck in professional sports. That all outcomes are a result of their skills.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett »

Sure. Have you read the stuff about the hot hand fallacy? Malcolm Gladwell and others have written about that. Essentially a guy is "hot" not because he is in the zone mentally or physically, but because he's getting results that are within a normal range of statistical probability considering his abilities. So people with better skills get better outcomes on average but the narratives that accompany those outcomes are not as compelling... or something like that.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

barrett wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:39 am Sure. Have you read the stuff about the hot hand fallacy? Malcolm Gladwell and others have written about that. Essentially a guy is "hot" not because he is in the zone mentally or physically, but because he's getting results that are within a normal range of statistical probability considering his abilities. So people with better skills get better outcomes on average but the narratives that accompany those outcomes are not as compelling... or something like that.
Yes, no such thing as clutch or the hot hand. I believe that. He does not at all. I fully believe that all sports are results of the way the statistical probabilities happen to fall out during that particular game. Of course skills are paramount but the way the probabilities play out can be a determinative factor.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy »

The way I heard it from a guy friend, you don't have to be a sports fan to think about baseball all the time. >:D
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled »

Vinny,

Al Kaline is dead. I saw him play at Yankee Stadium in the late 1960s- early 1970s.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

bedraggled wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:15 pm Vinny,

Al Kaline is dead. I saw him play at Yankee Stadium in the late 1960s- early 1970s.
Just saw that earlier. I never saw him play live.

Vinny
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled »

Fritz Peterson has written 3 books.

Some Tigers friend told Peterson that Kaline was retiring and the friend asked him to let a planned bunt go for a hit in the last game of the year. But then Kaline played 2 more years. Peterson was a bit perturbed.
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled »

Vinny,

If you buy 1 or 2 of Peterson's books on Amazon, he lists his email. I've exchanged a few emails with him. He's a friendly guy. He also explains a lot of Yankees shortcomings of the late 1960s and into the 1970s.

If you were so inclined, I bet you could arrange to meet him before the Old Timers' game. He'd get a kick out of that. He might sign the back of your Kindle. Bring a Sharpie.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

bedraggled wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:32 pm Vinny,

If you buy 1 or 2 of Peterson's books on Amazon, he lists his email. I've exchanged a few emails with him. He's a friendly guy. He also explains a lot of Yankees shortcomings of the late 1960s and into the 1970s.

If you were so inclined, I bet you could arrange to meet him before the Old Timers' game. He'd get a kick out of that. He might sign the back of your Kindle. Bring a Sharpie.
I'm seeing those two books of his on Amazon. I don't like this title: "When the Yankees Were on the Fritz: Revisiting the Horace Clarke Years." I was young Yankees fan during that time period and followed them quite closely (one year keeping score of half their games). I'm the ever optimist fan and I can find some good in any team no matter what their record.

I know I've been to at least two Old Timer's games. I think 1988 and 1998. Have no memory of him being there.

I see them on YES every year and the most exciting part is the introductions. The games are somewhat of a joke. I wish that they'd take them seriously.

The is one I'd prefer to see. A 75 year old hitting a home run!

https://www.mlb.com/news/luke-appling-h ... -years-old

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (70.87 KiB) Viewed 6247 times
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward »

Rumor has it that MLB is considering having the entire MLB season here in AZ this year, using our 10 spring training stadiums to play the games for all teams without crowds. Good luck to them, as most of those stadiums are not cooled like Chase Field, haha.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

pmward wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:42 pm Rumor has it that MLB is considering having the entire MLB season here in AZ this year, using our 10 spring training stadiums to play the games for all teams without crowds. Good luck to them, as most of those stadiums are not cooled like Chase Field, haha.
On a New York Yankees email list I'm on one poster estimated that there would have to be at least 1,200 people involved for the teams to play. Just one of those 1,200 gets the virus and then.....

Vinny
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled »

Oscar Gamble is a treasure in Yankee lore. He batted .379 in a season inthe late 1970s and hit with power. What fabulous memories. He was traded but came back for an encore several years later.

Vinny,

Did you meet the Big O? Was that your photo?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

bedraggled wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:22 pm Oscar Gamble is a treasure in Yankee lore. He batted .379 in a season inthe late 1970s and hit with power. What fabulous memories. He was traded but came back for an encore several years later.

Vinny,

Did you meet the Big O? Was that your photo?
Not my pictures and never met him.

He once said, why did the Yankees acquire Reggie, I hit just as well as him.

And, I believe that in 1976 he did!

Vinny
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled »

Yes it was in 1976. Oscar could hit. For some reason 23 home runs resonates.
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled »

Steroids prevents me from moving beyond Aaron. I watched the Yankees with Clemens and Giambi. Two guys who are a poor memory in the sport.

Aaron did need 2,000 more ABs and an extra 8 games per season to go after Ruth.

I did see Aaron hit back-to-back HRs at Shea Stadium, 7/8/73, against pitcher Steve Stone of the Mets.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Steroids are awesome in professional sports. Pitchers throw hard as fuck, home runs go into the neighboring county, linebackers produce as much force as an F-16. Everything is just better.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled »

Kriegs,

Excellent comment about linebackers and F-16s. Refrigerator Perry of the Chicago Bears isn't worth mentioning now. I heard said the 1968 Packers Super Bowl offensive and defensive linemen would be considered a bunch of runts today: 245 pounds!?!? Egad! Question: orthopedically speaking, do these lineman have a grim future? (And this is the Baseball thread)!

Speaking of 1968, along with seeing Aaron hit 2 in 1973, I saw Mantle hit 521 tying Ted Williams on 4/26/68. Box seats, 2 rows from the Yankee dugout by the batting circle, were quite nice. Box seats then were $4 per. These 4 seats were given to us. Otherwise it was upper deck for $1.25. Bleachers were 50 cents.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

bedraggled wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:22 am Kriegs,

Excellent comment about linebackers and F-16s.
PREEN
I heard said the 1968 Packers Super Bowl offensive and defensive linemen would be considered a bunch of runts today: 245 pounds!?!? Egad! Question: orthopedically speaking, do these lineman have a grim future? (And this is the Baseball thread)!
Skoronski: 6'3 245
Gillingham 6'3 255
Bowman 6'3 230
Kramer 6'3 245
Gregg 6'4 250

Yea, if you used a time machine and physically transported these guys from 1968 to now, they'd be very small for offensive linemen. But if you had magicked their pregnant mom and dad forward to the year 2000, there's NO DOUBT these guys would all be 6'7 290-315 monster 20 year-olds destined for a great career in the NFL. Maybe they had genetics to be a modern tight end (6'6 ~250) if not a lineman.
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled »

I was thinking of "launch angle" angle today. I am retired but it wasn't on the to do list. Seems if these "hitters don't get the perfect 2 strike pitch to launch it to the next county, they take it for strike three. This is baseball? No DH discussion today, lads and lasses.

Let's move on to DJ Lamemahieu, Yankee infielder. The guy is a magician with the bat. He hits it where it's pitched, drives the ball, takes advantage of defense and doesn't ponder the glories of launch angle. Came close to MVP last year. How did Colorado let him escape? I came back for Aaron Judge and stayed for DJ.
These strike outs!!! It ain't baseball. But they said that in 1920 when Ruth hit 54 HRs. BTW, I went to both of Ruth's apartment buildings in Manhattan. It's not possible to get past the doormen but I did tell one doorman he was working in a sacred space.

Oh, Pug,

Your Cubs should not have sent Gleybar Torres to the Yankees but thanks. You did have Bobby Murcer few a couple of good years, though.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

bedraggled wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:55 pm ,

Your Cubs should not have sent Gleybar Torres to the Yankees but thanks.
WHAT a price to pay to win just ONE World Series then quickly dropping from being one of the elite teams.

Vinny
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled »

Vinny,

I am amazed that with our appreciation of baseball history and Yankee history- what other sports club has a history- that we have opposing views on the broadcasting. I have turned the sound off, at times. Anyway....

Great having you around and I envy your reading ability, speed and comprehension.

Thanks.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled »

Talking baseball trades on an avatar thread! Bad decorum?

Branch Rickey, I believe, once said a trade needed 2 years to see who benefited. Rickey also said "luck is the residue of design." Something here for the software engineers?

As a Yankee fan, Jay Buhner gives me another reason to think Steinbrenner should have been forced to sell the team.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

bedraggled wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 10:47 pm Talking baseball trades on an avatar thread! Bad decorum?

Branch Rickey, I believe, once said a trade needed 2 years to see who benefited. Rickey also said "luck is the residue of design." Something here for the software engineers?

As a Yankee fan, Jay Buhner gives me another reason to think Steinbrenner should have been forced to sell the team.
Tell me who was a better baseball owner?

When has any other team dominated baseball like the Yankees did for nearly 20 years, starting in 1994? When is the last time the Red Sox won two World Series in a row?

Vinny