How news is made

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

How news is made

Post by WiseOne »

This is an outstanding and humorous explanation of how "fake news" comes to be. The context is the controversy surrounding the low carbohydrate diet, but it applies beautifully to current political events - as the writer hints at one point in the article.
When I tweeted a link to my post about the Harvard study on push-ups and CVD risk, I honestly didn’t expect much beyond the usual number of replies, retweets, etc. Wrong.
[snip]
Fortunately, it wasn’t the Full Twitter Pattern. To be the Full Twitter Pattern, it would have to go something like this:

A few people post tweets accusing me of being against push-ups.

Other people chime in to demand I apologize for my anti-push-up stance.

Still other people who can do a lot of push-ups decide I’m belittling them and offer to meet me anytime, anywhere and kick my ass because I’m obviously a wimp who can’t do 40 push-ups.

Someone eventually tweets that Donald Trump doesn’t do push-ups either.

Someone else then tweets that she saw me wearing a MAGA hat while working outdoors on the farm.

Celebrities and celebrity wannabes, anxious to demonstrate their moral superiority, tweet that my anti-push-ups attitude is obviously racist, and I don’t do push-ups as a way to flaunt my white privilege.

Someone else then points out that the Harvard study’s leader author is named Justin Yang, and I’m clearly belittling the study and telling people not to do push-ups because I don’t like Asians.

Reza Aslan posts my picture and tweets Honest question: have you ever seen a more punchable face?

Kathy Griffin tweets (in all caps) YOU KNOW THIS RACIST MOTHERF@#$%*R WOULDN’T HESITATE TO DOXX ON YOU, SO SOMEBODY POST HIS REAL NAME AND ADDRESS! – presumably so the forces of good could show up at my door to express their goodness by engaging in physical violence and/or making life a living hell for my family.

CNN and The Washington Post jump into the fray with articles about a growing movement of extremists who are racist, sexist, homophobic and opposed to push-ups, identifying me as a leader of the movement.

After people blessed with both consciences and brains post clips of my previous tweets to prove I’ve never actually stated any opposition to push-ups, CNN and the Washington Post write new articles explaining that the situation is “more nuanced” than originally believed.

Finally, CNN, the Washington Post and other fine examples of journalist ethics write commentary explaining that while the story about my racist, sexist, anti-push-up tirade may not have been factually true, their rush to judgment was entirely understandable — because the real issue here is that people believed the story could have been true, which is a sad, sad, sad indication of how many Americans have become racist, sexist, homophobic and opposed to push-ups in just the past three years.
http://www.fathead-movie.com/index.php/ ... tter-dumb/

p.s. Definitely watch Fathead if you haven't seen it.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: How news is made

Post by ochotona »

This banner ad just popped up on CNBC, it made me laugh.
Attachments
Screenshot 2019-10-06 at 11.37.44 AM.png
Screenshot 2019-10-06 at 11.37.44 AM.png (131.62 KiB) Viewed 1251 times