Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Netflix junkie

Post by Smith1776 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:18 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:08 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:29 pm
Does anyone else kind of romanticize Walter White's cabin in the mountains of New Hampshire? Nation-wide manhunt aside, I wouldn't mind holding up in there for a while with a big barrel of money, food, and a stack of newspapers to read. O0
You’re a Canadian and you can handle it, but it looked coooold to me.
Shot in California, by the way, that cabin stuff.
I remember trying Ensure when that first episode with the Extractor came out, so the product placement did work on me. O0
R.I.P. Robert Forster
I had no idea he had passed away. R.I.P. He had such a great character.

I remember I was practically living on Ensure when I had my wisdom teeth removed. Couldn't eat solid food for a good two weeks.
I still find the James Rickards portfolio fascinating.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:36 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:18 pm

dualstow wrote:

Smith1776 wrote:

Does anyone else kind of romanticize Walter White's cabin in the mountains of New Hampshire? Nation-wide manhunt aside, I wouldn't mind holding up in there for a while with a big barrel of money, food, and a stack of newspapers to read. O0

I remember trying Ensure when that first episode with the Extractor came out, so the product placement did work on me. O0
R.I.P. Robert Forster

I had no idea he had passed away. R.I.P. He had such a great character.

I remember I was practically living on Ensure when I had my wisdom teeth removed. Couldn't eat solid food for a good two weeks.

In my rather long life now....having two impacted wisdom teeth out has been my only surgery.

I remember the oral surgeon who did the removal of four teeth telling me he had some problems because two of them were impacted. In spite of that he put me out, took the teeth out, and had me back to life in an hour! An hour!! All I could think of was of how many time I'd spent at hour at job accomplishing absolutely nothing. And, he did all of that in an hour!

What I lived on was oatmeal with jelly and yogurt mixed in with it. Quite tasty! I'm the type of person who can eat the exact same food every day and still look forward to eating it!

Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:24 am

Smith1776 wrote:
My brother actually has a cabin in the mountains of New Hampshire and I get extremely jealous except in the winter.

Many years ago he made a ridiculous offer to buy the whole side of a mountain for $65k which was declined. Then the owner called him up a couple of years later to ask if he still wanted it and the rest is history. Has a view of Mount Washington from his window and hiking trails that are part of the Appalachian trail.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:26 am

Wow! That is amazing.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:45 pm

pp4me wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:24 am

My brother actually has a cabin in the mountains of New Hampshire and I get extremely jealous except in the winter.

Many years ago he made a ridiculous offer to buy the whole side of a mountain for $65k which was declined. Then the owner called him up a couple of years later to ask if he still wanted it and the rest is history. Has a view of Mount Washington from his window and hiking trails that are part of the Appalachian trail.
Woooooow!

Would be a perfect place to stash some gold and silver. Or hideout in a general apocalypse.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:52 pm

dualstow wrote:
Smith1776 wrote:
R.I.P. Robert Forster
https://youtu.be/mH0OxGc9-iY

"This is canon now."
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:26 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:52 pm
dualstow wrote:
Smith1776 wrote:
R.I.P. Robert Forster

"This is canon now."
Speaking of which, where's the final season of Better Call Saul?
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:32 am

pp4me wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:26 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:52 pm
dualstow wrote:
Smith1776 wrote:
R.I.P. Robert Forster

"This is canon now."
Speaking of which, where's the final season of Better Call Saul?
It should have been around now-ish, but I'm not even sure they're able to shoot yet. :-(
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:38 pm

dualstow wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:40 pm
Season 3 of Fauda is out.
pp4me wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:57 am
Two series I've binge-watched lately are Fauda and Zero, Zero, Zero (actually, I think the latter might have been on Amazon).

Both are foreign language so you have to turn on subtitles. I could never get into that but my wife keeps the subtitles turn on even when it's in English so I've gotten used to it.
Just got around to binge-watching Fauda (in the original Arabic and Hebrew, with English subtitles). Really good series. I don't usually like shoot-em-up action series, but this one managed to suck me in.

I was almost done with the series before I looked up some details and discovered that the creator and star, Lior Raz, isn't just an actor. He spent the first several years of his career as an undercover counter-terrorism commando in the Israel Defense Forces. He was then Arnold Schwarzenegger's bodyguard for a couple of years before he began studying acting at age 24. He's the real deal!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:15 am

Is anyone else watching -- this is a mouthful -- Manhunt, Deadly Games ⇢ Richard Jewell?
Good stuff.
Tortoise wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:38 pm
Just got around to binge-watching Fauda

I was almost done with the series before I looked up some details and discovered that the creator and star, Lior Raz, isn't just an actor. He spent the first several years of his career as an undercover counter-terrorism commando in the Israel Defense Forces. He was then Arnold Schwarzenegger's bodyguard for a couple of years before he began studying acting at age 24. He's the real deal!
I loved finding that out, too. Some pissant TV critic was describing the show and when he got to Raz he said something like "think fat, out of shape Jason Statham." Really made me mad. O0 He has no idea.
RIP Marcello Gandini
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:52 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:38 pm

dualstow wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:40 pm

Season 3 of Fauda is out.

pp4me wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:57 am

Two series I've binge-watched lately are Fauda and Zero, Zero, Zero (actually, I think the latter might have been on Amazon).

Both are foreign language so you have to turn on subtitles. I could never get into that but my wife keeps the subtitles turn on even when it's in English so I've gotten used to it.

Just got around to binge-watching Fauda (in the original Arabic and Hebrew, with English subtitles). Really good series. I don't usually like shoot-em-up action series, but this one managed to suck me in.

Until I read what you wrote above...I've never heard of the series. I think I started watching it the same night you wrote this. Started at 11:15 PM. Next thing I knew it was 4:15 AM! I was deep into season 1, about 8 episodes.

Have watched it two more nights since. Now deep into season two.

Quite good! Thanks for letting me know about it.

Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:05 pm

Have you guys watched "The Vanishing At The Cecil Hotel" docuseries on Netflix? The girl in question is from my town, turns out.

Very interesting story and plenty spooky. It's a well produced documentary. Scary stories are always extra enthralling when they are true.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:13 pm

dualstow wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:15 am
Is anyone else watching -- this is a mouthful -- Manhunt, Deadly Games ⇢ Richard Jewell?
Good stuff.
I commented about this on a thread over in the Politics section. Whenever I watch a "based on a true story" movie I like to do a fact check for accuracy afterwards. This one failed big time when it came to the hunt for Eric Rudolph. The truth is that nothing was known about his whereabouts while on the run until he got caught in that trash dumpster scrounging for food. Everything else was completely made up, including the so-called Christian militias hiding him along with the whole town of Murphy, N.C. This includes the man he supposedly murdered while on the run.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:28 pm

pp4me wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:13 pm
dualstow wrote:
Is anyone else watching -- this is a mouthful -- Manhunt, Deadly Games ⇢ Richard Jewell? ...
... Whenever I watch a "based on a true story" movie I like to do a fact check for accuracy afterwards.

Thanks for the spoilers, man. O0
Smith1776 wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:05 pm
Have you guys watched "The Vanishing At The Cecil Hotel" docuseries on Netflix? The girl in question is from my town, turns out.

Very interesting story and plenty spooky. It's a well produced documentary. Scary stories are always extra enthralling when they are true.
I haven't watched the above, but my wife showed me the elevator video on Youku some years ago. Very disturbing.
RIP Marcello Gandini
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:58 pm

dualstow wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:28 pm
pp4me wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:13 pm
dualstow wrote:
Is anyone else watching -- this is a mouthful -- Manhunt, Deadly Games ⇢ Richard Jewell? ...
... Whenever I watch a "based on a true story" movie I like to do a fact check for accuracy afterwards.

Thanks for the spoilers, man. O0
Sorry. Didn't notice the word "watching" instead of "watched".

You must have known Eric Rudolph was going to get caught so at least I didn't spoil that part.

There were some other inaccuracies having to do with the female reporter but I'll leave it to you to fact them check them if you want.

Most, if not all, of the Richard Jewel stuff was accurate.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:33 pm

It's fine. I'll probably forget by the time I get to those parts.
And, yes, I knew they caught Eric Rudolph.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:41 pm

dualstow wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:28 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:05 pm

I haven't watched the above, but my wife showed me the elevator video on Youku some years ago. Very disturbing.
I assume you're talking about this video.

SPOILER ALERT:
Knowing absolutely nothing about the incident, it looks to me like a young woman having a psychotic break while alone in the elevator. Since the video description says she was later found dead in the hotel's rooftop water tank, I would assume that she wandered onto the roof and fell in the tank during the psychosis.

Now I want to watch the documentary to find out if I'm right. :)
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:08 pm

:-X O0
I have no idea anyway, ha. My reading of the video was the same as yours, but i know a few more details.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:39 pm

What I really enjoyed about the docuseries was that it touched upon a lot of the environment and background that was conducive to the tragedy. It wasn’t just a matter of fact “this is what happened” kind of program. Learned lots about skid row in particular, and that connected in my mind to the Silk Road discussion we were having.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:52 pm

One more note about Manhunt/Jewell- nice to see so many faces from Justified.
RIP Marcello Gandini
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:25 am

Can I just say, underneath the cheesy veneer of Kathy Scruggs, Carla Gugino is still the sexiest woman alive.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:31 am

She was good in Entourage.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:42 pm

I watched a documentary purporting to explain coding and at the end i was treated to a warning about the dangers of “structural racism.” I guess they got tired of “systemic.” I’m down with diversity and agree that it’s important to have all kinds of people in the room when you program ♫ a just machine to make big decisions ♫ . But, the series is called “Explained” and the episodes are already short. I thought they were going to just explain what coding is and not try to indoctrinate me. Oh, right, it’s Ezra Klein’s Vox.
Not recommended.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:16 pm

I'll bet they're infuriated every time they have to query something.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:47 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:16 pm
I'll bet they're infuriated every time they have to query something.
Closely guarded secret. There are no algos. Google is just a sweatshop of old white men, master ‘splainers. The tty’s are setup in an abandoned turkey farm in South West ‘Bama.

Close hold.
Mark