Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Netflix junkie

Post by pp4me »

dualstow wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:54 pm
pp4me wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:46 pm Dark is good. I'm about halfway through the episodes.

It gets confusing because it's one of those shows that keeps jumping back and forth in time. Add to that the fact that you have people really traveling back and forth in time and it gets hard to keep track of who is who and when.

Still very entertaining. I think season 4 is supposed to come out sometime soon.
I watched some of Dark when it came to Netflix. My wife bailed after one or two episodes but I watched the first season.
A German buddy wanted me to watch it so he could talk with someone about it. O0 But, that’s as far as I got.

Always in the original German with English subtitles.
You?
I'm actually listening to it in English. The dub over isn't great but it's not too distracting. I think maybe it's hard to dub over German into English.

The songs are also in English if you turn it on.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

‘The Ripper’ is pretty interesting. It’s not about Jack, but about similar murders in Yorkshire 1975.
I love the Leeds accent.
🍍
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me »

Rectify

I'm only on the 4th episode in season 1. If the idea of an 18 year old boy spending the next 20 years of his life in solitary confinement for raping and killing a 16 year old girl, living in a small cell on death row while contemplating his execution on six occasions before a stay of execution and some prison guards allowing him to be subjected to punishments to fit the crime appeals to you then you might like this.

DNA evidence came to light and he was released but the prosecutors aren't done with his living hell yet. Why would they?

In his prison cell he apparently discovered meditation to learn how to survive in that situation. When asked by his sister what he thought about all that time he said it was "the time between the seconds".

Upon being released everyone thinks he will be overjoyed to re-connect with the real world and he really is but it's not that simple.

Like I said, I'm only on episode 4 so maybe it will disappoint in the long run but right now it is a very fascinating story.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

pp4me wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:32 pm Rectify
Like I said, I'm only on episode 4 so maybe it will disappoint in the long run but right now it is a very fascinating story.
Your mileage may vary, but my wife and I watched all of it years ago and loved it.
🍍
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me »

dualstow wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:30 pm
pp4me wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:32 pm Rectify
Your mileage may vary, but my wife and I watched all of it years ago and loved it.
I'm midway into season 2. The slow character development reminds you more of reading a book than watching TV or a movie but I'm really hooked even though there is a lot of darkness in the story (and if you can recall season 2 you know what I mean).
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Yes, it is the epitome of a show as slow-cooked meal. I kept waiting for her to tell me it was too slow, but she savored it. I wish there were more shows like Rectify.
🍍
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

This relates to Hulu, not Netflix, but I’ll post here anyways.

Has anyone here watched the fourth season of Rick and Morty? The episodes written by Jeff Loveness are outstanding, especially “The Vat of Acid Episode”, which won an Emmy award.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

Does anyone else kind of romanticize Walter White's cabin in the mountains of New Hampshire? Nation-wide manhunt aside, I wouldn't mind holding up in there for a while with a big barrel of money, food, and a stack of newspapers to read. O0
💻 DITM 📚
🛞 www.allterraininvesting.com 🛞
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Smith1776 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:29 pm Does anyone else kind of romanticize Walter White's cabin in the mountains of New Hampshire? Nation-wide manhunt aside, I wouldn't mind holding up in there for a while with a big barrel of money, food, and a stack of newspapers to read. O0
You’re a Canadian and you can handle it, but it looked coooold to me.
Shot in California, by the way, that cabin stuff.
I remember trying Ensure when that first episode with the Extractor came out, so the product placement did work on me. O0
R.I.P. Robert Forster
🍍
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

dualstow wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:08 pm
Smith1776 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:29 pm Does anyone else kind of romanticize Walter White's cabin in the mountains of New Hampshire? Nation-wide manhunt aside, I wouldn't mind holding up in there for a while with a big barrel of money, food, and a stack of newspapers to read. O0
I remember trying Ensure when that first episode with the Extractor came out, so the product placement did work on me. O0
R.I.P. Robert Forster
I had no idea he had passed away. R.I.P. He had such a great character.

I remember I was practically living on Ensure when I had my wisdom teeth removed. Couldn't eat solid food for a good two weeks.
💻 DITM 📚
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Smith1776 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:18 pm
Smith1776 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:29 pm
Does anyone else kind of romanticize Walter White's cabin in the mountains of New Hampshire? Nation-wide manhunt aside, I wouldn't mind holding up in there for a while with a big barrel of money, food, and a stack of newspapers to read. O0

R.I.P. Robert Forster

I had no idea he had passed away. R.I.P. He had such a great character.

I remember I was practically living on Ensure when I had my wisdom teeth removed. Couldn't eat solid food for a good two weeks.

In my rather long life now....having two impacted wisdom teeth out has been my only surgery.

I remember the oral surgeon who did the removal of four teeth telling me he had some problems because two of them were impacted. In spite of that he put me out, took the teeth out, and had me back to life in an hour! An hour!! All I could think of was of how many time I'd spent at hour at job accomplishing absolutely nothing. And, he did all of that in an hour!

What I lived on was oatmeal with jelly and yogurt mixed in with it. Quite tasty! I'm the type of person who can eat the exact same food every day and still look forward to eating it!

Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me »

My brother actually has a cabin in the mountains of New Hampshire and I get extremely jealous except in the winter.

Many years ago he made a ridiculous offer to buy the whole side of a mountain for $65k which was declined. Then the owner called him up a couple of years later to ask if he still wanted it and the rest is history. Has a view of Mount Washington from his window and hiking trails that are part of the Appalachian trail.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Wow! That is amazing.
🍍
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

pp4me wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:24 am
My brother actually has a cabin in the mountains of New Hampshire and I get extremely jealous except in the winter.

Many years ago he made a ridiculous offer to buy the whole side of a mountain for $65k which was declined. Then the owner called him up a couple of years later to ask if he still wanted it and the rest is history. Has a view of Mount Washington from his window and hiking trails that are part of the Appalachian trail.
Woooooow!

Would be a perfect place to stash some gold and silver. Or hideout in a general apocalypse.
💻 DITM 📚
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

R.I.P. Robert Forster
https://youtu.be/mH0OxGc9-iY

"This is canon now."
💻 DITM 📚
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me »

Smith1776 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:52 pm
R.I.P. Robert Forster

"This is canon now."
Speaking of which, where's the final season of Better Call Saul?
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

pp4me wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:26 pm
Smith1776 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:52 pm
R.I.P. Robert Forster

"This is canon now."
Speaking of which, where's the final season of Better Call Saul?
It should have been around now-ish, but I'm not even sure they're able to shoot yet. :-(
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

dualstow wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:40 pm Season 3 of Fauda is out.
pp4me wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:57 am Two series I've binge-watched lately are Fauda and Zero, Zero, Zero (actually, I think the latter might have been on Amazon).

Both are foreign language so you have to turn on subtitles. I could never get into that but my wife keeps the subtitles turn on even when it's in English so I've gotten used to it.
Just got around to binge-watching Fauda (in the original Arabic and Hebrew, with English subtitles). Really good series. I don't usually like shoot-em-up action series, but this one managed to suck me in.

I was almost done with the series before I looked up some details and discovered that the creator and star, Lior Raz, isn't just an actor. He spent the first several years of his career as an undercover counter-terrorism commando in the Israel Defense Forces. He was then Arnold Schwarzenegger's bodyguard for a couple of years before he began studying acting at age 24. He's the real deal!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Is anyone else watching -- this is a mouthful -- Manhunt, Deadly Games ⇢ Richard Jewell?
Good stuff.
Tortoise wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:38 pm Just got around to binge-watching Fauda

I was almost done with the series before I looked up some details and discovered that the creator and star, Lior Raz, isn't just an actor. He spent the first several years of his career as an undercover counter-terrorism commando in the Israel Defense Forces. He was then Arnold Schwarzenegger's bodyguard for a couple of years before he began studying acting at age 24. He's the real deal!
I loved finding that out, too. Some pissant TV critic was describing the show and when he got to Raz he said something like "think fat, out of shape Jason Statham." Really made me mad. O0 He has no idea.
🍍
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Tortoise wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:38 pm
dualstow wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:40 pm
Season 3 of Fauda is out.

pp4me wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:57 am
Two series I've binge-watched lately are Fauda and Zero, Zero, Zero (actually, I think the latter might have been on Amazon).

Both are foreign language so you have to turn on subtitles. I could never get into that but my wife keeps the subtitles turn on even when it's in English so I've gotten used to it.

Just got around to binge-watching Fauda (in the original Arabic and Hebrew, with English subtitles). Really good series. I don't usually like shoot-em-up action series, but this one managed to suck me in.

Until I read what you wrote above...I've never heard of the series. I think I started watching it the same night you wrote this. Started at 11:15 PM. Next thing I knew it was 4:15 AM! I was deep into season 1, about 8 episodes.

Have watched it two more nights since. Now deep into season two.

Quite good! Thanks for letting me know about it.

Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

Have you guys watched "The Vanishing At The Cecil Hotel" docuseries on Netflix? The girl in question is from my town, turns out.

Very interesting story and plenty spooky. It's a well produced documentary. Scary stories are always extra enthralling when they are true.
💻 DITM 📚
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me »

dualstow wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:15 am Is anyone else watching -- this is a mouthful -- Manhunt, Deadly Games ⇢ Richard Jewell?
Good stuff.
I commented about this on a thread over in the Politics section. Whenever I watch a "based on a true story" movie I like to do a fact check for accuracy afterwards. This one failed big time when it came to the hunt for Eric Rudolph. The truth is that nothing was known about his whereabouts while on the run until he got caught in that trash dumpster scrounging for food. Everything else was completely made up, including the so-called Christian militias hiding him along with the whole town of Murphy, N.C. This includes the man he supposedly murdered while on the run.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

pp4me wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:13 pm
dualstow wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:15 am Is anyone else watching -- this is a mouthful -- Manhunt, Deadly Games ⇢ Richard Jewell? ...
... Whenever I watch a "based on a true story" movie I like to do a fact check for accuracy afterwards.

Thanks for the spoilers, man. O0
Smith1776 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:05 pm Have you guys watched "The Vanishing At The Cecil Hotel" docuseries on Netflix? The girl in question is from my town, turns out.

Very interesting story and plenty spooky. It's a well produced documentary. Scary stories are always extra enthralling when they are true.
I haven't watched the above, but my wife showed me the elevator video on Youku some years ago. Very disturbing.
🍍
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me »

dualstow wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:28 pm
pp4me wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:13 pm
dualstow wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:15 am Is anyone else watching -- this is a mouthful -- Manhunt, Deadly Games ⇢ Richard Jewell? ...
... Whenever I watch a "based on a true story" movie I like to do a fact check for accuracy afterwards.

Thanks for the spoilers, man. O0
Sorry. Didn't notice the word "watching" instead of "watched".

You must have known Eric Rudolph was going to get caught so at least I didn't spoil that part.

There were some other inaccuracies having to do with the female reporter but I'll leave it to you to fact them check them if you want.

Most, if not all, of the Richard Jewel stuff was accurate.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

It's fine. I'll probably forget by the time I get to those parts.
And, yes, I knew they caught Eric Rudolph.
🍍