Netflix junkie

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Netflix junkie

Post by Smith1776 »

Kriegsspiel wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 9:04 pm I think District 9 was ruined for me because I watched a pirated copy, and it was just... confusing. It turns out there were supposed to be subtitles. I'll have to remember to watch it again.
I'm just thinking about the alien clicking language with no subtitles... LMAO.
MM
Ruby on Rails rules all
www.allterraininvesting.com
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Their body-acting was good enough for me to finish the movie, which is really saying something. Also, I was in Afghanistan, so options for entertainment were limited 8)
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

The official website for District 9 was really neat when it first came out. Lots of stuff going on. I visited it at archive dot org last month, but now it's just a bunch of placeholder messages telling me I need to install flash.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

dualstow wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 9:34 pm The official website for District 9 was really neat when it first came out. Lots of stuff going on. I visited it at archive dot org last month, but now it's just a bunch of placeholder messages telling me I need to install flash.
Ahhhh Flash. Remember the days when there was that big war over flash between Adobe and Apple? That was pre-Trump, pre-Coronavirus, pre-X Æ A-12 Musk.

Those were simpler days.
MM
Ruby on Rails rules all
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

I still wonder why Elon didn't name his kid M /\ 12 $
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

element-symbol-square-Au-periodic-table-some.jpg
element-symbol-square-Au-periodic-table-some.jpg (29.98 KiB) Viewed 5929 times

If I were to name my kid something along those lines it would be [Xe] 4f14 5d10 6s1.
MM
Ruby on Rails rules all
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Smith1776 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 9:39 pm
dualstow wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 9:34 pm The official website for District 9 was really neat when it first came out. Lots of stuff going on. I visited it at archive dot org last month, but now it's just a bunch of placeholder messages telling me I need to install flash.
Ahhhh Flash. Remember the days when there was that big war over flash between Adobe and Apple? That was pre-Trump, pre-Coronavirus, pre-X Æ A-12 Musk.

Those were simpler days.
I do indeed. Yes they were. I guess HTML5 won out.
Flash was crap, but man that website was good.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

I am currently watching Terminator Genisys on Netflix.

There is no timeline where Kyle Reese should look anything like Jai Courtney. WTF.
MM
Ruby on Rails rules all
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

Arrival is a fantastic movie.
MM
Ruby on Rails rules all
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

MangoMan wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 5:40 pm
Smith1776 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 5:13 pm Arrival is a fantastic movie.
is that on Netflix?
it doesn't come up in a search there....
Just finished it. It was weird seeing Hawkeye in a movie without a bow and arrow. (Jeremy Renner)

Maybe it's just on Canadian Netflix?
MM
Ruby on Rails rules all
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

I saw Arrival in the theater. Really interesting. I never get tired of Amy Adams.
I don’t see it in U.S. Netflix either. Amazon prime has it for rent, $3.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

dualstow wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 6:40 pm I saw Arrival in the theater. Really interesting. I never get tired of Amy Adams.
I don’t see it in U.S. Netflix either. Amazon prime has it for rent, $3.
I feel like communicating with Heptapods is probably easier than communicating with my very traditional Chinese parents.
MM
Ruby on Rails rules all
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Smith1776 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 7:36 pm I feel like communicating with Heptapods is probably easier than communicating with my very traditional Chinese parents.
Ha! I’ve got Chinese in-laws. They aren’t always traditional, but they are occasionally as alien to me as heptapods, and I to them.

I wonder what the heptapod portfolio would look like. ???

ADDED: the movie was based on a short story by an American with Taiwanese parents.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Chiang
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

dualstow wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 7:45 pm
Smith1776 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 7:36 pm I feel like communicating with Heptapods is probably easier than communicating with my very traditional Chinese parents.
Ha! I’ve got Chinese in-laws. They aren’t always traditional, but they are occasionally as alien to me as heptapods, and I to them.

I wonder what the heptapod portfolio would look like. ???

ADDED: the movie was based on a short story by an American with Taiwanese parents.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Chiang
My male Heptapod (dad) has a portfolio that's a mish-mash of dividend paying Canadian companies, Chinese speculations, and cash. I think his biggest holding is Riocan, which is Canada's biggest REIT.

My mom has cash and GICs (Canadian version of CDs).

Oh wow! I didn't realize that about Arrival. I always thought it was an original screenplay.

For me, nothing beats the first two Terminator films as all-time favourites. Time-travelling Arnold as a cyborg, sent back to kill the mother of his enemy before he's born. Yes.
MM
Ruby on Rails rules all
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Smith1776 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 8:52 pm For me, nothing beats the first two Terminator films as all-time favourites. Time-travelling Arnold as a cyborg, sent back to kill the mother of his enemy before he's born. Yes.
I usually hate time travel, but I was about 13 when Terminator came out. Blew my mind.
(Dr Evil voice) Blew my frickin’ mind.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

dualstow wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 9:21 pm
Smith1776 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 8:52 pm For me, nothing beats the first two Terminator films as all-time favourites. Time-travelling Arnold as a cyborg, sent back to kill the mother of his enemy before he's born. Yes.
I usually hate time travel, but I was about 13 when Terminator came out. Blew my mind.
The T-800 was the perfect role for Arnold. Not just because of the physique and all the obvious stuff. It's because the Terminator's relentlessness is actually a perfect reflection of Arnold's personality in real life. The man gets shit done. He just. doesn't. stop. 8)
MM
Ruby on Rails rules all
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Smith1776 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:36 pm
dualstow wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 9:21 pm
The T-800 was the perfect role for Arnold. Not just because of the physique and all the obvious stuff. It's because the Terminator's relentlessness is actually a perfect reflection of Arnold's personality in real life. The man gets shit done. He just. doesn't. stop. 8)
I just finished watching United 93 on Netflix. There is an Arnold connection. Did anyone else see the movie where he was a common person whose wife and daughter were coming home on an airplane. Until it crashed and they died?

I will not say anymore about what is in the movie.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

vnatale wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 11:40 pm
I just finished watching United 93 on Netflix. There is an Arnold connection. Did anyone else see the movie where he was a common person whose wife and daughter were coming home on an airplane. Until it crashed and they died?

Vinny
Just searched for that on Canadian Netflix... and found it! I'll watch that one next.

And yes... the movie Aftermath?
MM
Ruby on Rails rules all
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Smith1776 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 11:58 pm
vnatale wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 11:40 pm

Vinny
Just searched for that on Canadian Netflix... and found it! I'll watch that one next.

And yes... the movie Aftermath?
Exactly! Total un-Terminator, un-action movie for Arnold.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

vnatale wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 8:17 am

Vinny
I remember the first un-Arnold film I ever saw him in: Jingle All The Way.

jingle-all-the-way-4.jpg
jingle-all-the-way-4.jpg (60.22 KiB) Viewed 6713 times
MM
Ruby on Rails rules all
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Smith1776 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 1:07 pm
vnatale wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 8:17 am

Vinny
I remember the first un-Arnold film I ever saw him in: Jingle All The Way.

jingle-all-the-way-4.jpg
Somehow as a MAJOR Arnold fan that one has escaped my knowledge until now. I think the first one I saw was Twins.

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Just finished watching the 3rd in the IP Man series!

Loved them.

Tomorrow night I see the 4th!

Vinny
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

vnatale wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:28 am Just finished watching the 3rd in the IP Man series!

Loved them.

Vinny
Man, that brings back memories. True story here.

When I was a teenager I did a lot of Wing Chun training. Our family friend who owned a vegetarian restaurant in Vancouver was a Wing Chun master. I trained under him, and he in turn had been taught by Ip Man's son.

When I was 16 I went on a trip with family to Hong Kong. Through our mutual connection I met Ip Man's son and visited his martial arts studio that he had in the city.

The history, the connection with Bruce Lee, the aura around the whole thing. One of my favourite experiences as a kid. Totally amazing.

I got to see the technique and the mastery that he and some of his students had. There was a such a grace where they were able to effortlessly redirect and use their opponents' energies against them. Crazy stuff to behold.
MM
Ruby on Rails rules all
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Smith1776 wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:05 am
vnatale wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:28 am Just finished watching the 3rd in the IP Man series!

Loved them.

Vinny
Man, that brings back memories. True story here.

When I was a teenager I did a lot of Wing Chun training. Our family friend who owned a vegetarian restaurant in Vancouver was a Wing Chun master. I trained under him, and he in turn had been taught by Ip Man's son.

When I was 16 I went on a trip with family to Hong Kong. Through our mutual connection I met Ip Man's son and visited his martial arts studio that he had in the city.

The history, the connection with Bruce Lee, the aura around the whole thing. One of my favourite experiences as a kid. Totally amazing.

I got to see the technique and the mastery that he and some of his students had. There was a such a grace where they were able to effortlessly redirect and use their opponents' energies against them. Crazy stuff to behold.
That's quite the story. I entirely impressed with the movies. To have experienced what you did is incredible.

Vinny
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me »

Two series I've binge-watched lately are Fauda and Zero, Zero, Zero (actually, I think the latter might have been on Amazon).

Both are foreign language so you have to turn on subtitles. I could never get into that but my wife keeps the subtitles turn on even when it's in English so I've gotten used to it.