ICE raids

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

ICE raids

Post by WiseOne » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:54 am

I'm interested to see what happens at the Mississippi poultry plans in the aftermath of the ICE raids. So far, it looks like unemployed citizens/legal residents are interested in the jobs after all, despite the never-ending insistence that "only Latin American immigrants are willing to do those jobs."

https://www.npr.org/2019/08/12/75057775 ... -ice-raids

The fact that a good number (dozens?) of people in a single town are immediately willing to pounce on the newly vacant positions before they're even fully advertised suggests that not only are illegal immigrants indeed taking jobs from Americans, but companies may be showing a preference for the immigrants because they'll be docile (they don't have many choices, can't speak English, want to stay under the radar) and accept low pay. It sounds like pay will have to go up which is precisely what should happen. Wages have been artificially kept low for years through the use of illegal immigrant labor.

Also it's pretty clear that Koch foods and others were lying through their teeth when they said they screen applicants through E-verify. I hope there are some consequences for them, e.g. charges & fines.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Re: ICE raids

Post by Cortopassi » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:13 am

WiseOne wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:54 am
Also it's pretty clear that Koch foods and others were lying through their teeth when they said they screen applicants through E-verify. I hope there are some consequences for them, e.g. charges & fines.
About time. Finally all the news outlet/shows are talking about the employer responsibility this time.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:36 am

I agree on all points, WiseOne.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:15 pm

WiseOne wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:54 am
I'm interested to see what happens at the Mississippi poultry plans in the aftermath of the ICE raids. So far, it looks like unemployed citizens/legal residents are interested in the jobs after all, despite the never-ending insistence that "only Latin American immigrants are willing to do those jobs."

https://www.npr.org/2019/08/12/75057775 ... -ice-raids
Interesting read.

The only time I agreed with that insistence was when Justin Bieber got roasted when Selena Gomez was dating him, and the comedian said something to the effect of "good for Mexicans, taking the dirty jobs that Americans won't."
(Turns out Gomez was born in TX though. Poetic license).
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years