Weird Weather

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

jacksonM
Executive Member
Executive Member

Weird Weather

Post by jacksonM » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:21 pm

I know you have all been hearing stories about heat waves and maybe experiencing it yourself. Down here in Florida we had a heat advisory a few weeks ago which is the first time I had ever heard of such a thing. I think the temperature got up to 96.

On the other hand I can also report that this is the coldest summer in Florida that I can remember in the more than 25 years that I have lived here. It's July 26 and @2:00 PM I just went to the store and the temperature outside was 75. I've developed a low tolerance for cold while living here and I was almost shivering, because it was raining too. Looking at the forecast for the next two weeks I don't see a single day where the temperature is projected to reach 90 degrees, with most days peaking around 82. This is unheard of for August and July in Florida.

I meant to share a link to a news article I read about an A/C manufacturer who had to issue a report about not meeting expected earnings due to cold weather. Unfortunately, I couldn't find it.

If this is the result of climate change then maybe it won't be so bad after all. At least we like it down here.
jacksonM
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Weird Weather

Post by jacksonM » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:13 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:02 pm
Oh, the horrors. You should try enduring a windy Chicago winter to know what it really means to shiver.

No disrespect, just yanking your chain, guy-to-guy. :D
Been there done that. Did my basic training at the Great Lakes Naval Training Center. They made us wash our clothes and hang them out in buckets only to find them frozen and stiff as a rock in the morning. Figure it was only to f*** with our heads which was probably right.

Yes, Chicago is a m****f****r when it comes to cold. No arguments there.
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:40 am

jacksonM wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:21 pm
I know you have all been hearing stories about heat waves and maybe experiencing it yourself. Down here in Florida we had a heat advisory a few weeks ago which is the first time I had ever heard of such a thing. I think the temperature got up to 96.

If this is the result of climate change then maybe it won't be so bad after all. At least we like it down here.
Laying the groundwork to publish records to Create fear, of Man Made Global Warming..(Climate Change)..
Fear and Panic Sells..

When did Man cause the start of the Earth to pull away from the Sun ?
We're closer to the Sun, this year, than we'll ever be again.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/startswith ... 5b54926f7d
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:25 am

There is no way to rationalize away the fact that temperatures are warming. Global average temperatures are increasing, heat waves are more common in many locations or weather patterns are changing, summer seasons are lengthening, and on and on. There is plenty of documentation of this.

What could be argued is whether this a consequence of greenhouse gas emissions, vs. natural variability that just happens to coincide temporally with the Industrial Revolution. More to the point, will reducing greenhouse gas emissions stop or reverse the trend?

Short of a test planet and a time machine, the only tools we have to answer these questions are computer models. Modeling is a very sophisticated and well-developed science. There are ways to validate models by testing their predictions against real world data, and doing parameter testing and bifurcation analysis. That the models are all pointing to "yes" as the answer to the second question above is pretty convincing to me.

The final decision has to depend on how you choose to balance the costs of achieving reduced emissions vs. the costs of continued global temperature increases. That's the part I'm not so clear about. Given that China and India produce more emissions than the US, and that global shipping is responsible for more emissions than the entire US auto fleet, I would guess that the impact of low to middling cost measures in the US is probably small - unless it encourages China and India to follow suit. Any high cost emission reduction efforts would likely have negative effects on poverty around the globe, that would have to be compared to the predicted economic effects of climate change. It would be nice to see a reasoned analysis of this somewhere, but unfortunately the issue has gotten so religious that this is unlikely ever to happen.
jacksonM
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jacksonM » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:19 am

I guess it's not just me. More record lows than highs according to this article.....

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/20 ... days_.html
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:24 am

jacksonM wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:19 am
I guess it's not just me. More record lows than highs according to this article.....

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/20 ... days_.html
While it may be true that the mainstream media is guilty of frequent fear mongering, the evidence that the planet is heating up, whatever the cause, is irrefutable. WiseOne covered it. I'll just add a link

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/ar ... tart-here/

and a reminder that global warming can include local cooling.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
jacksonM
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jacksonM » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:59 am

dualstow wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:24 am

and a reminder that global warming can include local cooling.
Yes, I learned that from the movie "The Day After Tomorrow". Actually, I learned that the oceans can even freeze. Hopefully WiseOne is preparing to move away from NYC before the floods come.

I'm not really skeptical of the science, just the politics and the fear-mongering - and the idea that anything being proposed will have any effect on it. If it really is an existential crisis then the worse thing that could have happened to the movement was for the left to embrace it to help further their agenda.

And then there are the predictions that keep not coming true. They should stop making those. In addition to the cooler summer I've been enjoying what was supposed to be a period of increased hurricane activity for the last 11 years. The company that writes my homeowner's policy obviously isn't taking it too seriously because they have cut my premiums by more than half during that period.