Tracking discussions

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Pres

Tracking discussions

Post by Pres »

Is there an RSS feed or another way to follow the activity on the forum without having to browse it every day?
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Tracking discussions

Post by craigr »

Good question. I was looking for that myself. There are some plug-ins available. I will check to see what they have. I'm sure it's something available.
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by craigr »

I just added in an RSS feed button mod on each forum. Let me know if it is working for you.
Pres

Post by Pres »

craigr wrote: I just added in an RSS feed button mod on each forum. Let me know if it is working for you.
It seems to work great. Thank you very much. :)

Two minor issues:
- In the title of the RSS-feed of the PRPFX section "All things Permanent Portfolio -" probably should be deleted
- The entries seem to be truncated. It would be great if that could be switched off. (otherwise we may miss info without realizing)
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by craigr »

Pres wrote: Two minor issues:
- In the title of the RSS-feed of the PRPFX section "All things Permanent Portfolio -" probably should be deleted
I don't see this in the title. Can you refresh the RSS to see if you still have it?
- The entries seem to be truncated. It would be great if that could be switched off. (otherwise we may miss info without realizing)
I don't see an option for doing this. I just looked at the code and there was nothing obvious. It may be the forum software that is not serving out full posts. I'll have to dig around and see what I find.
Pres

Post by Pres »

craigr wrote:
Pres wrote: Two minor issues:
I don't see this in the title. Can you refresh the RSS to see if you still have it?
Seems to be ok now. Thanks!
I don't see an option for doing this. I just looked at the code and there was nothing obvious. It may be the forum software that is not serving out full posts. I'll have to dig around and see what I find.
Go to admin --> News and newsletters --> settings
you can change the maximum length of the post.
a value of "0" means no limit.

This info is from an old forum comment, it may be outdated.
http://www.simplemachines.org/community ... #msg604080
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by craigr »

Well it's there. That was pretty non-intuitive. They suggested setting it to 0 was a bad idea so I bumped it from 255 to 1024. See if that is OK.
Pres

Post by Pres »

craigr wrote: Well it's there. That was pretty non-intuitive. They suggested setting it to 0 was a bad idea so I bumped it from 255 to 1024. See if that is OK.
Thanks, that's better!  :)

Several messages are still only partly visible, so it may be worth dialing it a tad higher. (2048, 4096, dunno, you're the boss)
Pres

Post by Pres »

One more suggestion for the RSS feed:

Displaying the name of the author with every message. For the time being we just see the text, but ignore who we're reading.
Last edited by Pres on Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by craigr »

I'll have to look into that. The RSS mod doesn't have that option. Could require some code hacking.
Pres

Post by Pres »

I looked for a solution, doesn't seem to be simple indeed.

But there's a workaround that works fine for me: in the feed's URL I replace "rss" by "atom"

Example:
https://web.archive.org/web/20160324133 ... ;type=atom

I won't be bugging you about this anymore. :)