Windows 11 PSA

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Windows 11 PSA

Post by pp4me » Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:23 am

I installed it last night when I got a notification from Microsoft saying it was available. My observations....

1.) I've yet to see any new features that made it worth the aggravation of installing it. The Start menu has been redesigned a bit but other than that I can't see much difference. Maybe I'll find something later.

2.) After the install, the computer ran extremely slow, as in 15 seconds to launch a program or load a web page - even freezes between typing letters. So if you run into this don't do what I did and start turning things off in settings like they tell you in some Youtube videos. That didn't help at all. What did help was waiting about 4 hours until it's done searching every file on your system for indexing purposes. You can run resource monitor to observe
this in progress. Once it completed and settled down, everything went back to normal except that I occassionally do see a short freeze. Also, it
somehow triggered a Google Drive sync at the same time as it was indexing. I had to kill that and don't intend to use it any more.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Windows 11 PSA

Post by vnatale » Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:05 pm

I ran the test on this computer and it told me that my CPU was not sufficient for Windows 11.

Here are some recent PC Mag articles on Windows 11:

https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/microsoft-windows-11

https://www.pcmag.com/opinions/windows- ... mess-it-up

https://www.pcmag.com/news/no-new-pc-ne ... ium-4-chip

https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-upg ... 1-for-free
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:17 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:39 am
I hate Windows.
Let me count the ways....

Home networking ---- you gotta be kidding. Takes hours to figure out why two computers can't connect to each other and transfer files. You do everything they tell you and it still doesn't work so you keep digging and find out they forgot to tell you to do something else. Then it works until the
next time and you find out they've changed it again. After all these years since Windows NT you'd think they would have made something user
friendly by now. I don't even bother any more. I just email or use a thumb drive.

Was that setting I'm looking for in Control Panel, Settings, Devices, Services, System Configuration or something else? Guess I'll have to try them all.

I could list more, of course.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:35 pm

vnatale wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:05 pm
I ran the test on this computer and it told me that my CPU was not sufficient for Windows 11.

Here are some recent PC Mag articles on Windows 11:

https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/microsoft-windows-11

https://www.pcmag.com/opinions/windows- ... mess-it-up

https://www.pcmag.com/news/no-new-pc-ne ... ium-4-chip

https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-upg ... 1-for-free
Eventually they will quit supporting windows 10 and you'll have to buy a new computer. Hopefully you've got a year or two. Computer manufacturers must love Microsoft.
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler » Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:49 pm

pp4me wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:17 pm
Home networking ---- you gotta be kidding. Takes hours to figure out why two computers can't connect to each other and transfer files.
I'm not a Windows networking expert by any stretch of the imagination. I've always struggled with that. But IMO one thing they did really well is OneDrive. Try syncing both computers to a OneDrive account through the cloud, and file sharing is a breeze. Just drag & drop. Or better yet, access the same file mirrored on multiple devices.

Everything I've read indicated that Win11 is fine but pretty sparse feature-wise right now while they focus on the initial rollout. So there may not be any real reason to upgrade for a little while until they start unlocking the cool stuff with future updates. Which works well for me, as I'll need to upgrade my processor first to be able to run it at all.
Last edited by Tyler on Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:23 pm

MangoMan wrote:
I hate Windows. Almost as much as I hate Apple. >:(
I hate Apple…almost as much as Windows. O0 Well, I’ve been using a Mac now since the switch from XP, the last good Windows OS.
I was looking forward to Android apps in Windows 11, but that’s still to come.
This article says what Tyler said above, work in progress.

https://www.theverge.com/22708762/micro ... -11-review
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:26 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Serious question Pug, why do you hate Apple?

My disclosures:
I used Apple hardware/software at work from 1991 to 2001 and at home from 2009 to present. I used Gateway and Dell hardware with Microsoft software (e.g Win 95, 98, XP, 7 with a dabble of 10) at home from about 1996 to 2018 (I forget the exact dates).
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:56 am

I've hated Apple since the 90s because of the one-button only mouse. No right click? Unacceptable.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:43 am

MangoMan wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:20 am
Mountaineer wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:26 pm
MangoMan wrote:
Serious question Pug, why do you hate Apple?
There is no question that they make a better product. Hardware and software both. But they are grossly overpriced on all of their products, and since there is essentially no competition (Windows and Adnroid are different products) they can gouge all they want*. They also have everything proprietary, forcing you to buy overpriced peripherals and ad-ons from them. They keep changing what works, making already purchased items quickly obsolete. And maybe worst of all, they force you to use ridiculous bloated products like iTunes, even on a Windows computer, to manage files and services that should be able to be done with any web browser. And the majority of business software is incompatible.

*Notice how Windows will run on a Dell, Acer, Compaq, eMachines, etc. Android will run on a Samsung, LG, Motorola, etc. What else will iOS run on?
Thanks Pug. All good points for sure. For me, I measure "value" by a combination of four terms: price, service, usability, quality. I'm willing to pay the high Apple price because the other three are outstanding for me ... so far. The usability factor is especially good since my wife and I have iPhones, two MacBook Pro laptops, an Apple TV, an Airport Extreme, and a HomePod. I back up laptops via Time Machine (automatically to a local hard-drive on the Airport Extreme, manually to local hard-drives and automatically to iCloud) and Carbon Copy Cloner to local hard-drives. iPhones back up automatically to iCloud. Everything works seemlessly together and all are very easy to set up. Setting up the wireless network is a cinch. It is very easy to connect iPhones and laptops wirelessly to my Brother laser printer too. Streaming from iPhones to my Sony TV is also very easy. I know I sound like an Apple fanboy, but it something better comes along, I would consider switching. So far, Apple has my mega-dollars. ;D
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:47 am

Tyler wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:49 pm
So there may not be any real reason to upgrade for a little while until they start unlocking the cool stuff with future updates. Which works well for me, as I'll need to upgrade my processor first to be able to run it at all.
I second that opinion after using the computer for 24 hours after the update. There are annoying freezes for a second or more when loading/scrolling through pages or sometimes even when typing something. Turned off every setting I could find but nothing has solved the problem yet. Not the end of the world but aggravating. And like I said, I don't see anything yet that was worth the aggravation. My computer is only a year old so I don't think it's because the hardware isn't up to snuff.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:44 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:20 am
*Notice how Windows will run on a Dell, Acer, Compaq, eMachines, etc. Android will run on a Samsung, LG, Motorola, etc. What else will iOS run on?
You can thank IBM for that. They made deals with Intel and Microsoft
CHICAGO TRIBUNE wrote:In a fateful decision, IBM didn't require either company to sign exclusive supply agreements, permitting them to sell their wares to competitors that would ultimately challenge IBM's PC dominance.

But when the first PC was launched on August 12, 1981, no one was thinking about that.
And thus PC clones running DOS (and later, Windows) were spawned

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct- ... story.html
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:52 pm

Right, I mean even though Microsoft does a little hardware, it has mainly been a software company for all those PC clones.
Apple has always been the complete package, hardware & software made for each other.
Pros and cons.
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler » Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:05 am

Saw this and thought of this thread: Apple seems to have forgotten it built a notch in the MacBook Pro

Every new design often has bugs that eventually get worked out, but Apple is pretty notorious for completely ignoring product usability when normal user needs conflict with primarily aesthetic design decisions. Like when Jobs blamed mechanical antenna problems in the iPhone 4 on users holding it wrong. Or selling a wireless mouse that you can't use while charging. For as beautiful and well-built as their products are, the Apple design bubble does occasionally make them seem pretty out of touch.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:14 pm

I can report one good thing about Windows 11.

Reverting back to Windows 10 was surprisingly easy.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:04 pm

😂
Umarliman

Post by Umarliman » Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:47 pm

Well, I totally get what you mean about not seeing a ton of new features right away. Sometimes, those updates can be a bit underwhelming at first. And oh boy, the slowdown after installation can be a headache! Waiting for indexing to finish can be a real test of patience, but it's good to hear that things eventually settled down. By the way, if you ever need a genuine Windows key or want to explore some options, I recently stumbled upon digitalchillmart.com. They seem to have reliable choices that might come in handy for future setups.
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:35 am

There's always Linux. :) In KDE-land we're making a push right now to pitch our software to people tempted to throw out their Windows 10 PCs that aren't eligible for the upgrade to Windows 11. I was just interviewed by a journalist last week regarding a deployment in Rhode Island. It's a real option. Some relevant links: https://eco.kde.org + https://kde.org/plasma-desktop + https://kde.org/distributions
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:25 pm

Pointedstick wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:35 am
There's always Linux. :)
I’ve been enjoying Zorin while in between mainstream OS’s. Only a tad more command line stuff than one’s grandma would do. Even though Kevin on this forum warned against distro-hopping too long, I’d still like to try BSD (hard, for me) and Linux Lite (grandma-level).