Coronavirus General Discussion

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by Hal » Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:21 pm

This interview is so good that I had to repost it from the Political Forum.
The summary and link is below. Highly recommend watching it.

Acting Senior Sergeant Krystle Mitchell is a sworn member of the Victoria Police in Australia. She has served Victorians for 16 years as a police officer including 6 years at Professional Standards Command - the division responsible for investigating police misconduct, corruption, discrimination and freedom of information, referring investigations to the Independent Broad-based Anti-corruption Commission (IBAC) where appropriate.

Acting Senior Sergeant Mitchell cites ethical conflicts as the reason for speaking publicly about conduct of Victoria Police officers, their Chief Commissioner - Shane Patton, their Minister - the Hon. Lisa Neville MP, and ultimately their Premier - the Hon. Daniel Andrews MP. She feels she can no longer remain silent with the division between police and community is growing, and totally ignored by the leadership of both the police and government.

Despite a promise to focus on 'Community Policing' and 'Back to Basics' policing by Shane Patton, Acting Senior Sergeant Mitchell has witnessed the opposite trajectory during the Covid-19 pandemic and is reminding her colleagues that ultimately they will individually be held accountable for their actions, and are still subject to s 462A of the Crimes Act 1958 (Vic) which forbids the disproportionate use of force.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Kn6AFl5G1c

Political replies to this over in the Political Forum please. Ethical/Covid replies fine in this thread.
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett » Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:52 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:37 am
I guess Scott Adams has basically the same opinion as I do:
I think I am supposed to be one of the Lefties on here but I agree. Here in CT, Governor Lamont had his executive powers extended another four plus months. This in spite of the fact that statewide more than 77% of all CT residents have had at least one vaccine dose.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:25 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:08 pm

barrett wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:52 pm

MangoMan wrote:

I think I am supposed to be one of the Lefties on here but I agree. Here in CT, Governor Lamont had his executive powers extended another four plus months. This in spite of the fact that statewide more than 77% of all CT residents have had at least one vaccine dose.

The only thing more maddening than the ridiculous mandates is having no clear metrics for relaxing them.

What were the metrics for ever ending a military war?

What were the metrics for ever ending the "War on Drugs"?

Where else have we ever seen the government reveal metrics for ending anything?
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:43 pm

MangoMan wrote:
The only thing more maddening than the ridiculous mandates is having no clear metrics for relaxing them.
Here in California, Emperor Newsom initially mandated a color-coded tier system of Covid restrictions whose least-restrictive tier (which still had some restrictions!) wasn't even physically achievable due to the false-positive rate of the RT-PCR tests.

Eventually, he just ditched the tier system entirely a few months before his recall election. For purely scientific reasons, obviously.

fbd.jpg
fbd.jpg (20.11 KiB) Viewed 10636 times
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:21 pm

MangoMan wrote:
barrett wrote:
MangoMan wrote:
Not only that, but there is absolutely no reason to believe that COVID incidence will ever be any different from what it is right now. So even if there was a metric, it will never be reached if it hasn't been already.

The pattern is that COVID hits a new area, mows through it like wildfire for about 6-8 weeks, and then settles in as yet another endemic seasonal illness. NYC was one of the first places in the US to get hit, so our pandemic period finished up in May of 2020. Healthwise, nothing of note has happened since.
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:34 am

> The only thing more maddening than the ridiculous mandates is having no clear metrics for relaxing them

And more maddening than that, are the children and communists on social media begging for gulags.

Pilot strike conspiracy theory?
https://www.reddit.com/r/news/comments/ ... s/hgakkl4/

https://kutv.com/news/local/southwest-a ... ne-mandate
https://twitter.com/bennyjohnson/status ... 1717919744

Remember what the Late Shows were like in the 90s, well...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSkFyNVtNh8
murphy_p_t
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by murphy_p_t » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:10 am

"And more maddening than that, are the children and communists on social media begging for gulags."

The full spectrum propaganda campaign against the American population is very effective at inducing fear.

Enlisting the youth in their campaign is borrowing from the example of maoist China.
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:36 am

vnatale wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:25 pm
MangoMan wrote:
barrett wrote:
MangoMan wrote:
What were the metrics for ever ending a military war?

What were the metrics for ever ending the "War on Drugs"?

Where else have we ever seen the government reveal metrics for ending anything?
Except that in this instance the powers that be have constantly been dangling the "return to normalcy" carrot in front of the public. Flatten the curve and herd immunity are only two of the phrases they have thrown out there to let you know that the end is in sight if you will just do what they say.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:17 pm

I don't know about everybody else but I'm finding the resistance we're seeing to the Biden vaccine mandates both surprising and encouraging. Nurses and other health care workers along with people in the airline industry, pilots and air traffic controllers especially, seem to be the leading the charge.

I wonder how many of those people are really anti-vaxxers as opposed to people who are starting to recognize the soft tyranny and the direction we've been heading and just decided enough is enough. If it's mostly the latter I especially commend them. We need all the people like that we can get if we're going to remain a free country.

Having said that, I hope my flight to Maui at the end of the month doesn't get cancelled.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:13 pm

Fake news from Foxnews......

Smoking marijuana could lead to breakthrough COVID cases, study finds

https://www.foxnews.com/health/smoking- ... tudy-finds

Do you need to even read past the second paragraph to realize this is fake news that doesn't justify the headline of the story....
The study, published last Tuesday in World Psychology, found that those with a substance use disorder (SUD) — a dependence on marijuana, alcohol, cocaine, opioids and tobacco — were more likely to contract the coronavirus after receiving both of their vaccination shots.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:33 pm

pp4me wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:13 pm
Fake news from Foxnews......
The study, published last Tuesday in World Psychology, found that those with a substance use disorder (SUD) — a dependence on marijuana, alcohol, cocaine, opioids and tobacco — were more likely to contract the coronavirus after receiving both of their vaccination shots.
[/quote]

OK for starters, World Psychology is one of those predatory journals that will publish anything as long as you're wiling to pay the $800 fee. I knew of someone who successfully got a paper into one of those journals consisting of one sentence repeated over and over 500 times. (I think the sentence was "Take me off your f---g mailing list.")

Second, I'm sure that association was found through some statistical chicanery likely involving uncorrected multiple comparisons. It does not prove causality, only an association. There are plenty of explanations for this that have nothing to do with pot, e.g. IV drug users are a pretty unhealthy bunch and I imagine particularly vulnerable to COVID. Also, interestingly the population in question was not limited to pot smokers. Since pot is not addicting the way alcohol, cocaine, opioids and tobacco are, it is likely that only a small minority of the people in the study were solely on pot. (Pot=marijuana....easier to type.)

Which brings up an interesting question: why are Democrats spending all their energy howling over social media and "fake news" sites, while totally ignoring all these predatory, pseudo-scientific journals? They could do a lot of good by highlighting the harm they do, by publishing complete and obvious crap like this.
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:23 am

WiseOne wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:21 pm
The pattern is that COVID hits a new area, mows through it like wildfire for about 6-8 weeks, and then settles in as yet another endemic seasonal illness. NYC was one of the first places in the US to get hit, so our pandemic period finished up in May of 2020. Healthwise, nothing of note has happened since.
Is this really generally true though, WiseOne? I did watch all of the Ivor Cummins videos you posted and I know that the above narrative is consistent with what he's been saying. And, while it seems to hold true here in the Northeast, places like Florida and Texas have experienced three quite distinctive waves that seem to go beyond "endemic seasonal illness". Also, not sure how the big Delta wave that is subsiding somewhat now fits into that category. I do remember from one of his first videos on the subject, Cummins said that we should expect different seasonal variations here in the US simply because our country covers such a huge geographical area.

Would love to get your two cents worth on this. Thanks.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:21 am

pp4me wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:17 pm
I don't know about everybody else but I'm finding the resistance we're seeing to the Biden vaccine mandates both surprising and encouraging. Nurses and other health care workers along with people in the airline industry, pilots and air traffic controllers especially, seem to be the leading the charge.

I wonder how many of those people are really anti-vaxxers as opposed to people who are starting to recognize the soft tyranny and the direction we've been heading and just decided enough is enough. If it's mostly the latter I especially commend them. We need all the people like that we can get if we're going to remain a free country.

Having said that, I hope my flight to Maui at the end of the month doesn't get cancelled.
It's not encouraging, IMO. A lot of people's lives are being ruined when their employers fire them. I suspect you are encouraged because you think so many people becoming unemployed will galvanize some kind of good response from the population, or an apology and backtrack from our governments. But consider that the elites want less people working, and things to get more expensive, as part of the Great Reset/Build Back Better globalist objectives. I think this is a 'heads I win, tails you lose' scenario for climate change zealots, who count a lot of global elites in their ranks.

Less pilots means more expensive flights, putting them out of reach of commoners. I think elites really are concerned about carbon emissions polluting the planet. But they themselves don't want to cut back on theirs (insert DiCaprio/Kerry joke here), and they won't have to because they can afford expensive flights. But if they can prevent millions of commoners from flying on planes, I think they'll be very satisfied. I wonder if a lot of the wealthy global elites see a future with more competition for resources, where prosperity for all is less likely. So they don't see the benefit of continuing the capitalist experiment where everyone in the world gets richer, because as people get richer they consume more resources. So if the rich can price commoners out, they can preserve resources for themselves. Come at me bros.

EDIT: this isn't exactly coronavirus-related, but it's in line with my general paradigm, that I tried to convince Corto of, where the elites want to keep the "emergency" going so that they can use it to propagate their unrelated aims.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:34 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:21 am
pp4me wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:17 pm

It's not encouraging, IMO. A lot of people's lives are being ruined when their employers fire them. I suspect you are encouraged because you think so many people becoming unemployed will galvanize some kind of good response from the population, or an apology and backtrack from our governments. But consider that the elites want less people working, and things to get more expensive, as part of the Great Reset/Build Back Better globalist objectives. I think this is a 'heads I win, tails you lose' scenario for climate change zealots, who count a lot of global elites in their ranks.

Less pilots means more expensive flights, putting them out of reach of commoners. I think elites really are concerned about carbon emissions polluting the planet. But they themselves don't want to cut back on theirs (insert DiCaprio/Kerry joke here), and they won't have to because they can afford expensive flights. But if they can prevent millions of commoners from flying on planes, I think they'll be very satisfied. I wonder if a lot of the wealthy global elites see a future with more competition for resources, where prosperity for all is less likely. So they don't see the benefit of continuing the capitalist experiment where everyone in the world gets richer, because as people get richer they consume more resources. So if the rich can price commoners out, they can preserve resources for themselves. Come at me bros.

EDIT: this isn't exactly coronavirus-related, but it's in line with my general paradigm, that I tried to convince Corto of, where the elites want to keep the "emergency" going so that they can use it to propagate their unrelated aims.
The encouraging part is that there are so many people willing to take a stand at the risk of losing their jobs. I never thought that would happen.

I'm retired but it would be analogous to threatening to withhold my social security check. Better not give them any ideas.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:22 pm

barrett wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:23 am
WiseOne wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:21 pm
Is this really generally true though, WiseOne? I did watch all of the Ivor Cummins videos you posted and I know that the above narrative is consistent with what he's been saying. And, while it seems to hold true here in the Northeast, places like Florida and Texas have experienced three quite distinctive waves that seem to go beyond "endemic seasonal illness". Also, not sure how the big Delta wave that is subsiding somewhat now fits into that category. I do remember from one of his first videos on the subject, Cummins said that we should expect different seasonal variations here in the US simply because our country covers such a huge geographical area.

Would love to get your two cents worth on this. Thanks.
You may find this website helpful: https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/covid/cov ... otals.page

There are three bumps in the hospitalizations data shown. The first was the genuine COVID pandemic in March through May 2020. The second is the seasonal respiratory illness bump. This will continue to occur annually as it has for many years, with multiple viral strains including COVID being responsible. The third is the Delta variant bump. Note how small the numbers are - as in, less than the winter viral season, with hospitalizations in the range of 40-50 (max) per day in a city of 8 million. Hospitals in NYC were not overburdened at any time after May 2020, beyond what's usual for cold and flu season. However you might define a pandemic, that is clearly not it - else we would be defined as having a "pandemic" every winter.

The chart would be even less interesting if you consider something we long suspected but now know for sure: almost half the recorded hospitalizations are not due to COVID, but represent incidental positive tests unrelated to the reason for admission. Since testing was so limited in the early days of the pandemic, this doesn't apply and I am sure that initial wave mostly represented true COVID cases.

I didn't show the curve of "cases" because that's even more misleading for reasons already discussed here many times. Hospitalizations are the best of 3 bad metrics, so I use that. Deaths I presume mirror hospitalizations (half are not due to COVID) but there are many potential confounds there so best to leave that be until a definitive study is done.

So my two cents: Life in NYC should have been allowed to return to normal in June 2020, with accommodations for high risk people and their families/caregivers. Each metro region could have done the same: lock down for a few weeks when the big wave hits, then open back up and be done with it. None of the subsequent waves were worth destroying the economy & damaging people's lives over. I honestly thought the lockdowns would end on that time frame and I remember wishing it would last a little longer because I was so enjoying working from home. I had no idea it would be a semi-permanent arrangement.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:55 pm

That's a great chart, WiseOne; allow me to reproduce it here so that folks can see more easily.

nyc_hospitalizations.png
nyc_hospitalizations.png (28.87 KiB) Viewed 10940 times

That's very different from what we've seen around here:

austin_hospitalizations.png
austin_hospitalizations.png (392.55 KiB) Viewed 10940 times

The different way this has played out in different places is surely coloring how we all view this thing.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:42 pm

Well you do have to factor in population. Let's put it at 8 million for NYC, and 2 million for Austin. NYCs daily hospital admissions were over 1700 at their peak in April 2020, which is over 200 admissions per million residents. Our second wave got close to hospital capacity, but never to crisis levels, and that was about 400 admissions daily or 50 per million. Our third wave's impact on hospitals is almost unmeasurable. Austin, it appears, was never more than 90 daily admissions, or 45 per million residents.

Like NYC, let's assume the first wave was largely a true assessment of COVID cases, because testing at that time was still limited. Austin's numbers were below 40 per million residents for that wave. For the subsequent two waves, you again need to cut the #s in half to get a true assessment of COVID impact, and you get something like 20-30 admissions per million residents.

Conclusion: Austin was not even close to being the train wreck that NYC was. You could argue for lockdowns during Austin's first wave since that probably did get close to saturating hospitals plus no one knew what the trajectory would be. But after that? Same as NY. Totally reasonable to put accommodations for high risk people in place, but no justification at all for any mandates targeted at the entire population. And certainly no justification for still calling this a "pandemic".
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:01 pm

So is the Delta wave about to end, or not yet?
If it is ending, what comes next?
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:26 pm

Meanwhile in Melbourne Australia
"Longest lockdown in the world. Most Australian COVID cases. Most Australian COVID deaths. Go Melbourne!"
https://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2021/1 ... vid-cases/

Beatings will stop when the numbers improve.... 8)
https://www.armstrongeconomics.com/worl ... the-world/
whatchamacallit
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by whatchamacallit » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:06 pm

I guess I wish more people out there knew they already had the virus and got over it.

Our backwards regulations are not looking at real science showing this is the best protection.

This doctor in Australia hints he would think about trying to get infected after being vaccinated. Although says to follow government policy to cover himself.

https://youtu.be/uUoWSfN3xo8

I am at the point where I want to be out there in the world continually getting exposed so I can keep immunity going.

Great video on natural immunity from same doc

https://youtu.be/9bamaEMftg4
Also estimates almost 50% us population already had dang thing.
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:13 am

Yesterday I witnessed what I consider to be my favorite thing about this whole Covid situation and that is rules that are put in place for not great reasoning and then kept there in perpetuity because, you know, rules.

Around lunch yesterday I happened to be in the office of my son's middle school when a parent came up to the office with some Chick-Fil-A and said they had brought their child some lunch. The office worker said sorry, we cannot allow food from the outside. The parent said I have done this before many times. The school employee said "yes but we are not allowed to bring in food from the outside now because of Covid." The parent said ok and walked away. Personally I would have asked why you allow kids to bring their own lunch in their lunch bags then? How is that more or less dangerous than fast food brought in?
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:11 pm

jalanlong wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:13 am
Yesterday I witnessed what I consider to be my favorite thing about this whole Covid situation and that is rules that are put in place for not great reasoning and then kept there in perpetuity because, you know, rules.

Around lunch yesterday I happened to be in the office of my son's middle school when a parent came up to the office with some Chick-Fil-A and said they had brought their child some lunch. The office worker said sorry, we cannot allow food from the outside. The parent said I have done this before many times. The school employee said "yes but we are not allowed to bring in food from the outside now because of Covid." The parent said ok and walked away. Personally I would have asked why you allow kids to bring their own lunch in their lunch bags then? How is that more or less dangerous than fast food brought in?
Excellent question to the lemmings.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:46 pm

Interesting legal discussion on your rights in Australia.
How does this contrast with the USA?

https://www.reignitedemocracyaustralia. ... y-nikolic/

PS: Reinforces HB's advice to keep some assets abroad.....
whatchamacallit
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by whatchamacallit » Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:16 am

Hal wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:46 pm

Only thing I can think of that went up courts

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 324338001/

I imagine churches are shutdown in Australia?

There are no local restrictions where I live thankfully.

I had thought hair salons would be a long hold out for mask requirements but even they are back completely normal.
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:55 am

MangoMan wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:07 am
Hal wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:46 pm

What good is having assets abroad if you can't leave the country?
You can't "legally" leave the country....
Didn't stop my father from getting out of East Germany ;)