Post by pugchief » Fri May 22, 2020 6:23 pm

technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Coronavirus General Discussion

Post by technovelist » Fri May 22, 2020 6:37 pm

pugchief wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 6:23 pm
He (Cuomo) actually has an approval rating around 80% in both NY state and the US. This may change as this all gets blamed on him, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
So most people are woefully ignorant about how awful he is.
I guess the fact that he has been getting a daily tongue bath from the lamestream media would account for that.
Another nod to the most beautiful equation: e + 1 = 0
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat May 23, 2020 6:51 am

;D ;D ;D
I hated all the things I had toiled for under the sun, because I must leave them to the one who comes after me. Who knows whether that person will be wise or foolish? Yet they will have control over all the fruit of my toil into which I have poured my effort and skill under the sun. . . Nothing is better for a man than to eat and drink and enjoy his work.
- Ecclesiastes
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Sat May 23, 2020 9:56 am

Maybe it was a secret plot to clear out nursing homes and thus reduce the state's Medicaid expenses?

Here's another reason that I secretly suspect is a big contributor: illegal immigrants and "chain-migration". Just one baby born to an illegal immigrant in the US, and a whole extended family is suddenly eligible to migrate here legally. Many of them come here because they have chronic conditions that are treated here for free, plus they are eligible for SSI, food stamps, subsidized housing etc. In their country of origin, they have to pay for care and there's no reward for being sick. This introduces a selection bias that creates a sicker/more vulnerable population here compared to the original population in the country of origin. Check out this map of COVID cases broken down by zip code:

https://flo.uri.sh/visualisation/1832440/embed

Notice that the most densely populated and most frequently traveled-through borough (Manhattan), also the trendy neighborhoods in Brooklyn like Park Slope, has the lightest caseload. So do predominantly Asian neighborhoods like Flushing. Make the whole city like these zip codes, and suddenly coronavirus wouldn't be such a big deal here.
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Sat May 23, 2020 10:43 am

sophie wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:56 am
Maybe it was a secret plot to clear out nursing homes and thus reduce the state's Medicaid expenses?

Here's another reason that I secretly suspect is a big contributor: illegal immigrants and "chain-migration". Just one baby born to an illegal immigrant in the US, and a whole extended family is suddenly eligible to migrate here legally. Many of them come here because they have chronic conditions that are treated here for free, plus they are eligible for SSI, food stamps, subsidized housing etc. In their country of origin, they have to pay for care and there's no reward for being sick. This introduces a selection bias that creates a sicker/more vulnerable population here compared to the original population in the country of origin. Check out this map of COVID cases broken down by zip code:

https://flo.uri.sh/visualisation/1832440/embed

Notice that the most densely populated and most frequently traveled-through borough (Manhattan), also the trendy neighborhoods in Brooklyn like Park Slope, has the lightest caseload. So do predominantly Asian neighborhoods like Flushing. Make the whole city like these zip codes, and suddenly coronavirus wouldn't be such a big deal here.
But, but, but... that's racist! >:D
Another nod to the most beautiful equation: e + 1 = 0
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Sat May 23, 2020 4:18 pm

I have no idea what a "Certian Death" is but it sounds pretty bad.

Another comparison could be made to the troop ships heading for Europe in WW1. This might be a more apt comparison because a lot of those soldiers were carrying the Spanish Flu with them and would die from it before they ever reached the foxholes. Not to mention spreading it all over Europe.

No total lockdowns back then. Obviously war is essential business.
Kriegsspiel wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:51 am

;D ;D ;D
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun May 24, 2020 8:12 am

pp4me wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 4:18 pm
I have no idea what a "Certian Death" is but it sounds pretty bad.

They are very powerful mints, those Certs.
RIP R B G
in NE Syria, a Russian armored vehicle deliberately rammed an American military viehicle, leaving 7 US service members with concussions — the week
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sun May 24, 2020 7:18 pm

21CB98A2-FF40-4184-A94F-9F0A0FE210FB.jpeg
21CB98A2-FF40-4184-A94F-9F0A0FE210FB.jpeg (118.33 KiB) Viewed 404 times
“My natural state is an outsider, and no matter what group I'm in or where I am, I've always felt like I'm outside the group, and I've always been analyzing the group.” - Michael Burry
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Sun May 24, 2020 7:24 pm

"Scientists and Doctors" may (or may not be) right as far as the science and medicine, but they certainly have no special place at the policy-making table where laws are made, or at the kitchen table where personal decisions are made.

They have an input, sure, but any policy recommendations they make are far from infallible, in fact, their recommendations will only be from one perspective without counting the costs involved from any other side.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Sun May 24, 2020 8:06 pm

How many scientists make good CEO's, investors, entrepreneurs or poker players?
None.

Broad spectrum risk management is not in their repertoire.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sun May 24, 2020 8:25 pm

You guys are going a bit further than my light-hearted intention with the meme. I'm mostly poking fun at the people on my social media feed that are convinced that 5G cell towers are spreading the virus. Your points are well taken and I agree with the general sentiment though.
“My natural state is an outsider, and no matter what group I'm in or where I am, I've always felt like I'm outside the group, and I've always been analyzing the group.” - Michael Burry