The official end of Swiss bank secrecy

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

The official end of Swiss bank secrecy

Post by I Shrugged » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:20 pm

Even though it was trending this way, I'm still pretty surprised they have decided to change their ancient tradition and laws. Short article:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-swis ... SKCN1MF13O
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: The official end of Swiss bank secrecy

Post by dualstow » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:45 am

Interesting news. There are likely far more African dictators and white collar criminals than Harry Browne types, so perhaps this is one case in which the lack of privacy is progress. (I feel funny just typing that, though).

I wonder how things are in Austria.
The logout button on this forum is dangerously close to the Notifications button.
jhogue
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jhogue » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:58 pm

1. Actually, Harry Browne predicted that the Swiss would one day be forced to abandon bank secrecy, in his book on Swiss banks originally published in the 1980s.

2. If you read the article carefully, you will note that this new sharing of bank information with other countries applies only to foreigners. Swiss citizens still retain their "ancient tradition and laws" regarding banking privacy. The Swiss know they are a tiny country and cannot halt the more unappetizing aspects of globalization, but that does not stop them from trying to slow it down.
“Groucho Marx wrote:
A stock trader asked him, "Groucho, where do you put all your money?" Groucho was said to have replied, "In Treasury bonds", and the trader said, "You can't make much money on those." Groucho said, "You can if you have enough of them!"
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:37 pm

jhogue wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:58 pm
1. Actually, Harry Browne predicted that the Swiss would one day be forced to abandon bank secrecy, in his book on Swiss banks originally published in the 1980s.
Interesting. Another point for Harry!
The logout button on this forum is dangerously close to the Notifications button.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:47 pm

Harry wielded a pen of beastknowledge. That dude was smart as fuck.
jhogue
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jhogue » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:05 pm

"beast knowledge"?
“Groucho Marx wrote:
A stock trader asked him, "Groucho, where do you put all your money?" Groucho was said to have replied, "In Treasury bonds", and the trader said, "You can't make much money on those." Groucho said, "You can if you have enough of them!"
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:08 am

There has to be a lot of concerned account holders around the world right now. I would think.

Thankfully I don't have that problem, lol.
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:11 am

This is old news for anyone unfortunate enough to have had a Swiss bank account (or cash-value insurance policy) in the recent past.
Fortunately another of Harry's pieces of advice was never to have a taxable event in a Swiss bank account: just buy gold and hold forever.
Anyone who followed that advice would have been spared any significant tax trouble when they caught up with their paperwork.